service engine light since purchase due to dust

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
xlnt
Car: XTerra '05

I bought a new '05 XTerra last year and have camped out at the dealership service bay at least one day per month since as they try to stop the check engine light from coming on. The dust from my daily drive sets off the pollution control sensor. The dealership calls it a design fault and have tried relocating items further from road surface. Nissan Canada told me dust is a "road hazard" and they can't help me. Non-company affiliates tell me Nissan should rename the colour "lemon yellow" with the amount of time I spend in service. Can anyone tell me how to either disconnect the sensore or dismantle the dash board and block off the "service engine light" once my warranty expires in 2000km?

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I'll ask on a few of the dedicated Xterra board for you & let you know if I find anything.

btr2ltr
Car: 2005 nissan titan se, 1991 eagle talon awd, 2004 mitsubishi evolution gsr

nissan is currently working on a fix for the problem that you are having, it is due to nissan doing away with evap purge filters in the evap system, and since you drive in high dirt/dust areas, this dirt gets sucked during drive cycles and causes the evap vent valve to stick, hence the check engine light. this is a ongoing problem, but few cases, i know that nissan north america has a filter kit established for the problem, but has not been released yet. this problem will not hurt anything or cause any other problems, but its pretty anoying to see the cel on all of the time. the best that i can say is to keep in contact with nissan and wait for the filter kit to make it to production.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

What he said is what I found out. Just a matter of time before a silent recall (Only fixed if someone complains about the issue)

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”