Service code P0021

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
seegarfan
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35

Hi, I was hoping someone may be able to give me some more info on this code. My wife's 2002 Infinti I35,134,000 miles, has the "Sevice Engine Soon" light lit. Autozone said the same code, P0021 came in twice. All their computer printed out was:
P0021- Intake Valve Timing Control Performance (Bank 2).
Definition-"Code P0021 indicates that the bank 2 Intake Camshaft Position timing was advanced beyond limits for a predetermined period of time."

I did replace one of the camshaft position sensor about 2 years ago, which brought in the service engine light, but my mechanic had cleared it somehow i think, because the light was out before I replaced the sensor and never has came back until now. Don't know if this is related or not.

They had no more info as to any solutions. The car seems to be running fine.

Also can someone explain to me how the service engine light alarm works? Is there a way to clear the alarm so you can know if something else comes in are if this is still a problem? Or does it just stay lit as long as the problem is still active.no

Thank you very much for any help. I really appreciate it.

Mark

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Check the oil level and If you haven't changed the oil lately, you should start with that and clear the codes. If the codes come back, then you most likely need to replace the intake solenoid valve.

seegarfan

Thank you, The oil is changed every 6000, mobil 1. it is getting close to the interval. I got some info that said you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for a couple hrs, is this correct?
Mark

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Likely yes but be aware when you do that you also wipe the short term engine running parameters, resulting in engine running a bit funny until the ECM re-establishes the way the engine is currently running. It can take from 15-30 minutes to get engine back running right perfectly in all ways. It'll run just not as well. You'll lose radio presets and possible other things too.

seegarfan

Thanks for the info. Yes, I figured I may lose a few things. But at least If it clears I can see if it is still a problem.
Mark

noobxcamper
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35

If you are looking to clear the codes, buy yourself a cheap OBII scanner that can clear codes and save yourself the hassle of disconnecting the batteries and losing everything. That way you can also check for problems yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLink-A ... d2+scanner

seegarfan

Thanks, I will be getting one.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”