Serpentine Belt change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

So I was Googling around the internet and found no video on the Youtubes or any instructions with step by step guides and pictures on how to replace the belt. How did I came to the conclusion that I need to have my belt changed, was when I took my Rogue in to the dealer for its oil change ($19.99 for a Mobil 1 Oil change). Also, the tech happened to tell me that I need to flush the power steering fluid, and I asked my Service Advisor to show me the PS Fluid tank, and he took a good 2 minutes and realized that the 2nd gen Rogues didn't came with Power Steering. However, dealer is asking me $209.99 for the serpentine belt change (they called it a driver belt), where the part before discounts is like $55 and with discounts is like $40 brand new. I did some shopping and found out the indie mechs will do for a labor of around $90.

My question now is, which exact section is the instructions on replacing the belt located in the FSM? I wanted to see if its doable for me before paying someone else to do it.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

If you Search the forum you will find this has been talked about a lot. Yes it's for a 1st gen, but it's the same process.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

2ND GEN Maintenance FSM, pages 13-14.

loomex
Car: 2011 nissan rogue

One of several I found on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnAFBBPgO8s

tbirdman
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Just to let you know, most dealers will tell you that you need to change just about everything when you go in for an oil change. I remember when I had a coupon for a cheap oil change for my Honda Civic at the dealership that sold me the car. While I was sitting in the waiting room, the Service Adviser came out and told me that I needed a new cabin air filter. I know he was full of it since I had changed the cabin air filter not that long before I took it in for the oil change. But I was curious to see how much they wanted to change the filter. $89. I told him the cabin air filter costs about $25 (and that was retail) and takes 2 minutes to change. I asked him if he felt comfortable coming out and telling people this? I don't really remember his response, but I never was solicited for unneeded repairs after that either.

It looks like you have a 2016 Rogue. What is the mileage? Not sure what Nissan's maintenance schedule is, but most serpentine belts don't need to be changed for 100,000 miles or more.

rowlands57

I couldn't agree more tbirdman. Your experience is typical, and your reply to the advisor was priceless.

To the OP, and for a reference point, my 2011 had 135K miles when I changed out the belt and it was in better shape than I expected. It was time to get it done, but it certainly didn't look like a belt about to fail.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I did look and thought the process might be different for the second gens, that's all.
tbirdman wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:56 pm
Just to let you know, most dealers will tell you that you need to change just about everything when you go in for an oil change. I remember when I had a coupon for a cheap oil change for my Honda Civic at the dealership that sold me the car. While I was sitting in the waiting room, the Service Adviser came out and told me that I needed a new cabin air filter. I know he was full of it since I had changed the cabin air filter not that long before I took it in for the oil change. But I was curious to see how much they wanted to change the filter. $89. I told him the cabin air filter costs about $25 (and that was retail) and takes 2 minutes to change. I asked him if he felt comfortable coming out and telling people this? I don't really remember his response, but I never was solicited for unneeded repairs after that either.

It looks like you have a 2016 Rogue. What is the mileage? Not sure what Nissan's maintenance schedule is, but most serpentine belts don't need to be changed for 100,000 miles or more.
That's nice that you gave the SA a taste of that rather unnecessary upselling. Yeah I have a 2016 Rogue, and my mileage is literally updated everytime I am on the website in my signature, as I also do have a 2018 Kicks in the garage. Right now the mileage is around 86150 miles, and surely will pass 90k miles before my fall semester starts (that's when I am planning to take it in for service).

And you know whats funnier, is that one of the users on NICOclub, partsfornissans , told me in the Instagram direct message that I should change the serpentine belt between 60k to 100k miles, which amused me that these belts should be changed this early, granted Honda recommends to change the timing belt at 105k, where NISSAN doesn't even recommend to change the serpentine belt at 90k.

However, I need to find time tomorrow to take the Rogue to the local indie mech to see if it really needs to get replaced this early.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Guys, the belts DO last a LOT longer than they used to being they all use Hypalon in the carcass now, but when they do need changing you get little warning of it. They pretty much do NOT crack or lose sections of the inside anymore, all they do is wear until the steel of the pulley is rubbing the backbone and they then slip and it may or may not make noise doing it. The difference in new and dead worn out can be as little as .010" and very hard to see by eye, there are groove depth gauge tools that purport to show worn or not but even those are not clear as to whether the belt is worn enough to change or not. I used to hand them out free when I was in parts but pretty much worthless to check with.

Beware, your battery going dead a bit early (alt slip) or the engine running a bit warmer than usual (water pump slip) may be your indicator there.

100-120K is fine and you got your money's worth, change them then, losing a car due to engine overheat with the few that break past that with no warning is NOT a good value. If you drive the cars till dead like I do then save the old belt and reuse it at over 200K miles like I do to get more use with less risk. Less risk because you have already gotten most of the value from the car. You recoup more cash by not using brand new parts on an older car, provided you accurately judge the old parts.

And never change a belt without a tensioner to go with it. Again you can save the old tensioner and reuse it later, it may need some rebuilding to make it useable though. The dealer price in the OP could easily include the tensioner where the indie mech didn't, the devil as always is in the details.

Return to “Rogue Forum”