Selling your guns?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

I have bounced back and forth on this for a long time and now that my car is ready to come out of the shop I'm considering selling my handgun again.

Everyone I know that appreciates their firearms tells me that you will ALWAYS regret selling any gun. My dad tells me about how much he hated selling his when he was my age. But the thing is, I haven't really gotten much of a chance to shoot mine in a while, and it is just kind of collecting dust where it sits at the moment.

I would shoot more, I have more target ammo to burn through - I just don't have the money for range fees because I'm putting everything into my car right now. I don't know anyone with enough land that I could make my own target and not have to worry about range s*** like waiting and keeping my rate of fire retardedly slow. I have put maybe 250 rounds through it since I bought it.

On top of that, I have a 12ga pump for home defense and I can't carry at work (I'm only ever home, work or driving from one to the other) so there's no point anymore in paying for a concealed permit. I really can't think of any rational reason to keep it, but I already feel like I'd be unhappy if I sold it. It's not even anything special, and it's not really collectible or anything like that, the only sentimental value it holds is being my first handgun that I purchased myself.

Priorities being what they are, I am leaning towards letting it go. Who else has gone through this?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You would only get what, a couple of hundred bucks? The cash would be quickly gone and you would be out a gun. It doesn't seem like a good move. If you went through the trouble of getting a CCP carry the thing already. The world has not gotten any safer. There are laws regarding securing your weapon in a car on business premises, look into the ones for your area and comply.

It just sounds like laziness and that the charm has worn off, not that the need has diminished or carry is impossible. I think you might regret only because I would which may be a false assumption. Only you can decide what is important to you.

dickie

I don't have a permit to carry concealed, and I can't justify getting one when I could only carry to/from work. I would be making $500+ from the sale, and I would probably end up getting the smaller, more concealable gun I was looking at replacing this one with earlier as soon as it was feasible. It just wouldn't be right away because I am still more than a few hundred bucks away from having my Cressida ready.

What I need is someone with a piece of land suitable for me to shoot anytime I want to for it to be worth keeping.

dickie

I know you own some neat stuff Mike, have you ever sold anything?

themadscientist

No.

I would only sell as a last resort to provide for my family. Thankfully, I have not been placed in that position. What do you have anyway? s***, maybe I want it. :gapteeth:

Speaking on the Cressida. I have a set of Aristo stock 2JZ turbos I don't want. If you want em, just cover shipping and they're yours.

dickie

Perfect timing. The crap twins on my 1J are smoking, but I think it wouldn't be feasible to try to adapt the much better 2J twins because they'd require modifications or making a new manifold. Plus I have a big single sitting in my garage waiting to go on when they die for good. But I will keep you in mind, thanks!

Providing for my family is kinda why I'm in this pickle, sold cars, my sport bike, and my only valuable guitar to keep my remaining cars going because all of my earnings go towards bills, food, divorce lawyer, and savings. I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't spend my paychecks on unnecessary stuff so when I need money to get my car running, I sell what I can. I have held off on selling my gun, but if it comes down to it I will have to.

Right now my car is running, driving and boosting, but it needs more work. Like new windshield, exhaust from the downpipe back, a new fan clutch, spark plugs, maybe a new clutch depending on how this one holds up. And I'm hoping to get the A/C charged and working so I can drive it this summer.

My gun is a Sig p226 DA/SA in .40 cal, the updated version with the built-in rail. Manufacture date is 1/09 so it has the old-style grips that I prefer. It's a great gun, fired alongside my friends' XD in 9mm and .45 and there was no comparison for me.

themadscientist

I know the manifold is different, but I have no idea if the turbos would bolt on to the 1J manifold. I defer to your knowledge on J stuff. I took one look at them and said, "nope, I aint messin with that s***." The damned things have more vacuum lines than a rotary engine and that makes Mad sad. That and the factory setup smacking into my master cylinder on a RHD car precludes use. A nice cast iron log manifold and big T4 for me.
Whenever you want then just fire me an email and I'll box em up for you.

dickie

I did some research and the reasons they don't work are enough to scrap the idea. Since the 1J twins are set up in parallel, they each have an internal wastegate while the 2J twins have one since they operate sequentially. The flanges are different so I would need a custom manifold with twin wastegates. It would be a nice idea singe the turbos are so much f*** better than the ceramic wheeled turds that the 1JZ comes with, but I have the makings of a decent big single that would make it impractical to try twins.

I really appreciate it though!

I resolved to burn up the rest of my target ammo before I decide for sure to sell the gun or not. Should give me more perspective.

Crazyirish
Car: Nothing noteworthy at the moment...

My favorite thing about firearms as a hobby is how liquid they are. It is very easy to sell for a decent price (My best bud has yet to make less than a $100 profit off of the guns he has bought and later sold). Of course I think we all have those guns that we would never let go and some that we would be okay selling. Just make sure your gun isn't the former and you'll be ok.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I regret selling the one I did.

it was a Marlin 336 in 30-30 I got for 200 bucks with a total of 8 rounds fired through it.

I don't think I'll ever sell a gun again. Unless I open a shop of course....ha, used guns would be tough though, I'd definitely go shoot them.

depending on the guns though, they hit a certain point where the resale price bottoms out unless it's totally beat up and broken too! Or just not worth owning in the first place (I'm looking at you Jennings and Bryco)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”