Selling my vh to Z32 adapter, also vh and Z32 tranny

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
pmpmstrb

I have lost all interest in my project and am ditching it all together. Most of it is due to the adapter plate taking way to long. He says everything is complete he just needs to pick them up and ship them out. All I am asking is you pay me the deposit ($275us) that I sent him. After that the final number depends on shipping and the exchange rate and will be between you and him. I believe he quoted somewhere south of $700us shipped (700-275=425 left).

I also have a 95 VH motor. It has a compete uncut harness back to the ecu. The CAS? housing is broke and will prob need replaced. I paid $1050 shipped.

The tranny is a 91? 300zx NA. I don't know anything about it. It has the shifter and shifter u bracket with it. I bought it off ebay for $300 shipped.

I'm in Indianapolis and will get pics later. I am firm on the adapter plate price and would like to get back what I paid for the motor and tranny as best I can.

PS. Wes I thought this would be the best place for this since it is a very specific item (adapter plate). Let me know if I'm wrong.

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Hmm... do you know a Jared in Indy that works at a performance shop? He mentioned to me that he knew of someone with a 95 VH with a broken piece that he wants to sell.

I was going to post about it here but if you're the guy then I don't have to now.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

you're golden. Sorry youre ditching your project because of the plate....

konatown
Car: 94 Q45t, 2010 Genesis Coupe

I may be interested inthe VH in a couple of weeks.

A friend just got an 01 Lincoln LS with 140,000 miles already. He loves the Q's power, said he may want to swap something bigger and badder in ;o

pmpmstrb

mtcookson wrote:Hmm... do you know a Jared in Indy that works at a performance shop? He mentioned to me that he knew of someone with a 95 VH with a broken piece that he wants to sell.

I was going to post about it here but if you're the guy then I don't have to now.
All of the criteria are a match, so that should be me. If not screw the other person

If you want to talk about it you can email me at [email protected]
elwesso wrote:you're golden. Sorry youre ditching your project because of the plate....
I know it sucks. I just have no desire to do it anymore. It would have been a ton of time, work, and money that I just don't have now. I am selling the car too. I am thinking of replacing it with an S4 about 6 months from now though.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

How much you want to get for your Z trans.... CAn i have the 411 on it?

pmpmstrb

elwesso wrote:How much you want to get for your Z trans.... CAn i have the 411 on it?
Like I said I paid $280 for it, but I would like to get $250. I can have it taken to Ft Wayne over the weekend if you want it that fast, otherwise we'll have to figure out shipping price or pickup on it. the ebay link is still active, believe it or not, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...MT:31

The link has all the info that I know about it. I can send you a pic if you want.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ok... I dont need it now, but thanks anyway....

slownslurious

how many miles on the engine, and where are you located? also I though the adaptor plate was for a Z32 TT trans not an NA.

pmpmstrb

slownslurious wrote:how many miles on the engine, and where are you located? also I though the adaptor plate was for a Z32 TT trans not an NA.
Not sure the exact mileage on the motor, but I was told it was low. I had a local shop track it down for me. They were told the mileage was low and that info was relayed to me. What "low" is, I have no idea. It is clean though on the outside. I am in Indianapolis. I can double check with RIU, but the only difference between the TT and NA tranny, as told to me, is the TT starter location is a few millimeters thicker than the NA (or vice versa).

Oh and this stuff needs to go since I sold my car on Saturday.

slownslurious

dixon told me the starter location is different and the NA clutch is smaller he said he recommends a TT trans for the adaptor as thats what he is using. If you value his technical expertise anyway.... they are also a hell of a lot harder to find though!

I'm trying to find a motor locally I really dont want to ship one but if I dont soon I may have you look into shipping yours. to houston I'm guess would be $300 or so... I found a motor I can pull myself here in town for $500 BUT its got 199 k on it so I was thinking about having it rebuilt. cause thats super cheap.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

the adapter plate will work since the only difference on the NA vs TT trans is the starter.. The TT clutch is a little bigger as is the flywheel, but apparently you can use an N/A flywheel with a TT clutch...

ultrapulse
Car: z32 300zx, Hilux & Datsun utes

I have the parts fiche for the z32. There are only a few differences in the NA v's TT gearbox. Differences I remember are: Front casting (I will explain), 5th gear part # (some years), speedo drive #, different input bearing # (some years ie probably doesnt appear to be a strength issue), and thats about it. One very good thing is that the TT flywheel, allthough bigger dia than the NA one by approx 5mm, will fit within the NA gearbox bellhousing. I have heard of some people claiming they have to grind small amounts from the inside, but not me. However you do have to space the NA gearboxes starter out by about 2mm due to the increase in flywheel dia, ie the NA box has a different face to shaft centre distance due to all z32 starters being the same. Both gearboxes have the same ratios, same strength, same size/bolt pattern, same input output splines etc, and very hard to tell apart. I also know of NA boxes used in heavy duty setups with no issues. So there you have it, either z32 manual would be good, infact the TT has nothing on the NA box when doing this conversion, apart from making a small spacer for the starter (or using washers like a mate has done in the past).

Also the TT clutch cannot be fitted to the NA flywheel, as the cover bolts are just starting to interfere with the ringgear if U were going to try and modify it. I guess thats why nissan made the TT stuff slightly bigger. U could still use an NA flywheel, but would obviously need an uprated clutch as the std Z32 na ones are about 1200lb clamp and engines are 222hp, as the TT ones are 1800lb clamp (engine rated at 300hp) and apart from being only 10mm bigger are also wider contact area (ID vs OD of clutch friction surface). The preference would be the TT flywheel clutch combo obviously. From owning both NA and TT zeds and abusing them, the NA's have only a small margin above std, whereas the TT's have a reasonable margin above std hp. In fact a good condition original clutch (not a cheap korean kit) will hold around 400hp+ from my experience. Hope this helps.
Modified by ultrapulse at 11:46 AM 10/31/2006

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ultrapulse wrote:I have the parts fiche for the z32. There are only a few differences in the NA v's TT gearbox. Differences I remember are: Front casting (I will explain), 5th gear part # (some years), speedo drive #, different input bearing # (some years ie probably doesnt appear to be a strength issue), and thats about it. One very good thing is that the TT flywheel, allthough bigger dia than the NA one by approx 5mm, will fit within the NA gearbox bellhousing. I have heard of some people claiming they have to grind small amounts from the inside, but not me. However you do have to space the NA gearboxes starter out by about 2mm due to the increase in flywheel dia, ie the NA box has a different face to shaft centre distance due to all z32 starters being the same. Both gearboxes have the same ratios, same strength, same size/bolt pattern, same input output splines etc, and very hard to tell apart. I also know of NA boxes used in heavy duty setups with no issues. So there you have it, either z32 manual would be good, infact the TT has nothing on the NA box when doing this conversion, apart from making a small spacer for the starter (or using washers like a mate has done in the past).Cheers.
isnt the main difference between the NA and TT flywheel the ring gear, not necessarily the face of the flywheel?

obviously everyone konws the later 94+ gearboxes are more desireable due the enhanced synchros.

ultrapulse

Yes ringgear and also the bolts and dowels which locate the p-plate. As u may have meant the clutch face is machined all the way across, in theory run either clutch disc, but the clutch covers dont fit each other (very unfortunately for NA owners).Also we may have posted at near the same time, so please recheck my last post. I will post both na and tt flywheels side by side, TT on the right.I dont think nissan had the revised synchros until 97-98, but thats all I've read.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

OK I see now... So in theory you could run any clutch setup, but the TT clutch cover wont fit the NA... So i suppose, if you wanted to run an NA clutch/flywheel on a TT motor (with a TT clutch) youd have to run an uprated NA clutch, or get a TT flywheel...

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Or you could save yourself the hassle by running my significantly superior flywheel & an aftermarket clutch setup ^_^

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

but you couldnt run an aftermarket Z clutch, could you?

Mettler

You can run any aftermarket clutch you like as long as it suits 9.1/2" diameter ! That's the beauty of having it designed in 3d & linked to five tech drawings that can be printed out after an update to the model.

Measure the mounting hole positions, model them into the flywheel, or change existing locations, print fresh drawings for the machinist, and get it made to exact spec for your unique setup.

This is the service I am offering to potential customers, a completely custom, unique for their purpose, flywheel. I don't think people realise just how cheap my offer actually is !

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Very interesting!!! I may have to look into that...

what kind of $ are we looking at?

Mettler

Around $1k NZ, give or take 100 or so.

It cost me around 1200 to make my own, but will be able to get it done cheaper the second time around.

The only annoying part is that I need your ring gear.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

so about $650 american... not bad...

ultrapulse

The only small bother is that U will have to run the TT pressure plate (big grunty 1800lb clamp) but use an NA zed/skyline clutch disc as they are the 9.5" size. The TT zed is 250mm (say its 10" but not quite), only slightly bigger dia, but pretty sure smaller ID also (will measure).This combo will work great though. For the big boys just run a puck centre. A mates zed did 340rwkw, drags it using hoosiers and beats it to within an inch of its life, yet with only a puck centre, all else std it hasnt slipped yet Remembering the zed TT isnt a lightweight car either. He also has done 2 years of burnout shows at Mystery Creek car show. So yes Im sold for a cheap grippy clutch.A side note, there have been many Valeo Korean kits make their way into NZ. Their p-plates seem OK, but the clutch discs are ****. They dont wear well, also the above car literally ripped the linings off one which was only newish, and that was before the 340rwkw, was probably only 2/3 that hp. I saw your flywheel Shaun, looks great!

gdz1la
Car: R32 GTR Skyline C35 Laurel & VH45 T88 S15 Silvia

ultrapulse wrote:I have the parts fiche for the z32. There are only a few differences in the NA v's TT gearbox. Differences I remember are: Front casting (I will explain), 5th gear part # (some years), speedo drive #, different input bearing # (some years ie probably doesnt appear to be a strength issue), and thats about it.
i have had another look at both vg tt and non t housings i still cant see any diffewrences with the starter face or the mounting point, are you sure the differences arent in the starter motor?

there may be a small chance i have 2 tt or 2 non t boxes but one engine i saw, and the other was labled, and i saw the tt motor and twin plate it had

Mettler

ultrapulse wrote:A mates zed did 340rwkw, drags it using hoosiers and beats it to within an inch of its life, yet with only a puck centre, all else std it hasnt slipped yet Remembering the zed TT isnt a lightweight car either. He also has done 2 years of burnout shows at Mystery Creek car show. So yes Im sold for a cheap grippy clutch.
Cheers ultrapulse ! That's the yellow 300ZX eh ? With his custom aluminium driveshaft ? I've spoken to him a few times.

My setup runs an Xtreme 6 puck brass button with sprung center... has anyone got any info on their reliability/quality ? They look pretty mint to me, well constructed etc. I shall have to see how that goes. Good to hear your mate's clutch setup runs strong even with all that thrashing.

I can't wait to make another flywheel for someone!

ultrapulse

gdz1la wrote:
i have had another look at both vg tt and non t housings i still cant see any diffewrences with the starter face or the mounting point, are you sure the differences arent in the starter motor?

there may be a small chance i have 2 tt or 2 non t boxes but one engine i saw, and the other was labled, and i saw the tt motor and twin plate it had
A wee bit difficult, but the distance between the input shaft/crank centreline and that starter face WILL be different by about 2 or 3 mm!!

slownslurious

will an NA starter work on a TT transmission? and what about driveshaft yokes? will NA driveshaft yoke fit TT tranny?

I'm throwing all this in a car that is neither Q45 or Z32 so I am buying all these parts seperately want to make sure they all get along.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

The starters are the same... If your running a TT flywheelwith a N/A box, you have to shim the flywheel out a tiny bit (a couple standard washers should do it)

slownslurious

well if this guy comes through I shoudl be getting a TT box, slave, shifter, driveshaft, flywheel, etc... the whole shebang.

ultrapulse

slownslurious wrote:will an NA starter work on a TT transmission? and what about driveshaft yokes? will NA driveshaft yoke fit TT tranny?

I'm throwing all this in a car that is neither Q45 or Z32 so I am buying all these parts seperately want to make sure they all get along.
Yes all Z32 starters the same. Both yoke splines are the same, but forget the NA yoke, they are sh*t and wont hold the v8 abuse, basically the weak link in the na zed.The TT yokes are a little rare, but any TT AUTO front yoke is sweet if ya remove the little spot welded dust cover off it, ie a hammer wont do Basically ends up a TT manual one minus the dustcover:).

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”