Selling my skyline for super cheap!?! Should i???

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
mikero1233
Car: White pearlglow 300zx N/A

Hi eveyrone, I was wondering what would Skylines cost compared to when there legal and when they are not. For example, what would an estimated value be on say a 1997 r33 gtst now than in 2020 when they are exempt and "leagl"? will the prices go up or down? Is it same with the Gtr's?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I think cars that are legal to drive are more valuable than cars that aren't. Unless you can sell to a collector, in which case, they would prefer to get it sooner than later and as stock OEM as possible. If you do the legwork to make it legal, you'll have more value in it. You'll see my post in your other thread about CA and CARB.

As far as my math goes, you're waiting until 2022 to hit the 25 year old mark on a 1997 car. I'm not sure, but you're also OBD-2 with that.

Welcome to NICO Club!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

If it's already in the US, it won't ever be legal. It was imported improperly, it's a grey market car.

Once they're eligible for importation, prices will climb (since there's going to be legitimate demand). Prices will level off, though, just like the R32 values have done.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

AZhitman wrote:If it's already in the US, it won't ever be legal. It was imported improperly, it's a grey market car.
Not to sound pedantic but I keep seeing the term "gray-market" being used incorrectly. The gray market is when something is bought and sold through unofficial channels but not necessarily illegal ones - for a non-car example it would be like importing a Japanese copy of Final Fantasy 15 to the US instead of buying the American release. The publisher may not like it but there's nothing illegal about that since there's no law barring you from importing a video game. Black market is the correct term for items sold illegally period. If you lived in a country that banned video games and you smuggled a copy of FF15 in then that would be black market. So a 25-year old R32 imported correctly is a gray market car because it wasn't sold by Nissan themselves but is deemed legal in the country while this R33 that apparently was not imported legally is a black market car.

Just wanted to chime in on the difference because using the term gray market improperly makes it sound like people with legit JDM cars are doing something illegal when they're not. I see people use the term incorrectly a lot and it paints a bad picture of legit JDM owners.

centralcoaster33

Without more information from the OP about this particular car, it isn't appropriate to call it a black market car. That would be jumping to a conclusion. Improper importation in this situation is resulting in a non-street legal car... on the street is the key part, not the importation itself. It could have been imported legally (show and display clause) to own and operate off-road at car shows or on race tracks. That is likely what it is. However, sure, it could be a stolen car, crated across the border, resold and completely illegal on and off road. Leaning towards the benefit of the doubt, I'd call it grey market before black market.

I don't get the last statements. Why would someone infer a grey market car is illegal? Even further more, why would that persons incorrect view have enough merit to paint a bad picture of JDM owners?

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

centralcoaster33 wrote:Without more information from the OP about this particular car, it isn't appropriate to call it a black market car. That would be jumping to a conclusion. Improper importation in this situation is resulting in a non-street legal car... on the street is the key part, not the importation itself. It could have been imported legally (show and display clause) to own and operate off-road at car shows or on race tracks. That is likely what it is. However, sure, it could be a stolen car, crated across the border, resold and completely illegal on and off road. Leaning towards the benefit of the doubt, I'd call it grey market before black market.

I don't get the last statements. Why would someone infer a grey market car is illegal? Even further more, why would that persons incorrect view have enough merit to paint a bad picture of JDM owners?
AZHitman was the first guy to say this car was illegal not me. I was just clarifying the correct use of the term "gray market".

As for whether it's legal or not, did you notice this guy is the same poster in another thread that said he was driving his car illegally in California using dealer plates and was afraid it would be seized? It's pretty obvious his car is not a VCP-32 imported R33 or he wouldn't be making the statements he's making and the R33 was never on Show or Display so that rules out the two avenues by which this car could have been legally imported. AZHitman obviously came to the same conclusion in his post. To clarify a misconception you seem to have - there is only one way to import a car purely for "off-road use" by a private citizen or company and that's for competition use in a sanctioned racing series. For that DOT requires you to show proof the car was built originally as a race car (no conversions from a road car), the series you'll be racing in, and specifics on the finances and setup of your racing team. Show or Display is for street-legal importation NOT for "off-road use only" as you seem to think. If you import a car illegally you don't get a free pass from the Feds to keep it even if you never drive it on the road. They can still confiscate your car because you're in violation of Federal law pertaining to importation and environmental protection.

As for why would someone infer a gray market car is illegal - read what I said carefully. I said a lot of people are using the term the same way AZHitman used it in referring to a car that's illegally imported which therefore lumps legal JDM owners who do own actual gray market cars with owners of illegal black market cars. Would you like it if you owned something perfectly legal but people kept thinking you were doing something shady? If you were a gun enthusiast for example would you like it if people called you a "gun-toting maniac" the same as an active shooter when all you do is hunt deer to feed your family? If people keep referring to gray market cars in the context of it being illegal then the generally accepted notion will become that IT IS illegal despite it not being so. In case you're wondering why I try to make the distinction - I own an ex-Show or Display fully-legal Nismo R32 and have worked with others in importing their own cars legally. I've also delved into the current legalities of owning an R33 and R34 legally either for my own purposes such as being paid to write articles about it or to help people looking for them. In the process I've talked to MANY Skyline and GT-R owners from all over the country with both legit and illegal cars as well as many of the major companies involved in JDM car importation and legalization.

centralcoaster33

Okay, I get your concern. I just don't share it. I live in an idiocracy beyond my repair. You are correct about my misconception. I don't know all the rules to all the games I don't play. I say keep educating as you can, it could have a ripple effect. :)

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”