Self healing paint Good-Bad

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Hi everyone,

I own a g35x and was wondering how the self healing paint holds up in the everyday life. The reason because the new g37 sedan will have that on it. I might switch. Nobody knows better then you guys since you have to deal with it every day. Any special treatment needed? THe scratches really dissapering? How deep scratches?

Any feedback would be appriciated.

I tried to search but not too much luck.

Thanks

zozo

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

And if anyone knows if it can be applied to other Infiniti cars, let us know.Thanks

bonzai_can
Car: Infiniti EX35

All I know is that it is the clearcoat that basically "melts" to cover any surface scratches & the time it takes depends on the weather / temperature ... so the actual clearcoat on the car is a different compound. This would make me think it has to be something that is done in the factory, but I could be wrong. The way it was described to me is that it would cover things like finger nail scratches around the door handles ... so not exactly deep marks. Not something I plan to test in theory for obvious reasons if I can help it ;-)I was offered the additional paint protection when I bought the vehicle ... the stuff they put on that apparently means you don't have to polish the car & it stays looking new for longer. I didn't go with this for 2 reasons; it hasn't made much difference on vehicles I have owned in the past & surely if that is covering the self-healing clearcoat then it kind of defeats the purpose ... again I could be wrong but seemed logical.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Welcome, to another fellow Canadian!! (Enjoy your stay, come back often & please ping me if I can help! )

In the 3 months I've owned the car, I haven't noticed any scratches/chips so can't say as yet.

Here are a couple of existing threads (with pics) that discussed this topic:zerothread/300943http://forums.nicoclub ... ead/334950

HTH,David

zozoka1212

Bonzai can, Dave thanks for the info. I tried searching but I guess with almost 3k posting I still don't know how to. hahahah

You guys rock.

Thanks again.

zozo

Dave if you don't have any small scratches after 3 months obviously it does a good job. Especially if we talking about Infiniti paint. Other Infinitis have tendency to get scratched if you fly buy a pregnant woman. Crying out loud.

I am sure it is a major pain to recoat it if needed. But it is well worth it.

bonzai_can
Car: Infiniti EX35

I just popped to my dealer (they are 5mins from work which is very handy indeed) to get a cargo bed liner and asked the question about whether or not the paint protection (against UV) could be added on top of the self healing clearcoat and the self healing would still work; answer is a big fat yes. However as I have a silver EX35 it's not going to faid as bad as a darker colour so perhaps a waste of time especially as I tend to take a lot of care with washing it regularly etc.The guy did emphasise though that the self healing is only for very minor scratches ... so the pregnant woman scenario is OK but the key scratch is not

I wouldn't mind the retractable machine gun option for drivers who change lane or turn abrubtly without indicating ... but around here I'd be constantly out of bullets

zozoka1212

bonzai_can wrote:I wouldn't mind the retractable machine gun option for drivers who change lane or turn abrubtly without indicating ... but around here I'd be constantly out of bullets
I think we all in the same shoe from East to West in Canada. I always wonder what they think or perhaps what they don't think. That's one thing they might know what they want to do. Another think if they let everybody know around them.

zozo

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Yep - I'm with you guys on those who haven't figured out how to use their signal lights!!

In a similar vein though, I'm disappointed that Infiniti didn't design the EX with signal lights on the front fender (like Audi/VW, Volvo, BMW, etc) or on the mirrors (like Subaru, GM, etc)!

Well, I guess IIHS doesn't share my opinion:EX earns TOP SAFETY PICK from IIHS

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”