security light flashes WON'T START!!

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
misterkork
Car: 1994 Nissan 300zx

Some1 PLEAZE HELP ME! when I turn the key, all lights come on, I hear fuel pump working but no crank at all.. I've changed; starter relay,all fuses,starter module,battery fully charged,changed ignition & I've had the starter checked. I've even unhooked the anti-theft box under the dash/floor on passenger side...what else can I do?? The security light does flash when I turn the key, Is there a way to disable this or am I doing something else wrong? I have a 1994 300ZX automatic...I've tried starting it in neutral & holding the gear shift hard in park,..NOTHING has worked,..same result

nissanfreak12
Car: 92 300zx 2+2 TT

Have you tried unlocking the driver door from the outside with the key? That is how you disable the security.

Other than that, you have checked basically everything. The NSS could be bad, starter relay could have been bad, even though changed. This is also the one in th driver fender correct?

ZX-Smoov
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+2

NissanFreak12,
You mentioned the NSS, what is it that you are referring to in your reply? My car just recently did the same thing.
I plan to test the other areas you mention.

Misterkork,
Have you since fixed or found the problem? Have you ruled out any of the suggestions by NissanFreak12?

Thanks guys!!

nissanfreak12

ZX-Smoov wrote:NissanFreak12,
You mentioned the NSS, what is it that you are referring to in your reply? My car just recently did the same thing.
I plan to test the other areas you mention.

Misterkork,
Have you since fixed or found the problem? Have you ruled out any of the suggestions by NissanFreak12?

Thanks guys!!

Is it a Manual? NSS is located at the clutch pedal.

ZX-Smoov

My Z is an automatic N/A. I had a bench test performed on my starter and I hear a clicking at the driver-side fender when I turn the key. I have not checked the CAS connection for corrosion yet nor the TPU. The neutral safety switch (NSS) is at the passenger-side on the transmission, yes? It seems that I need to drop the exhaust to reach it. Is there a diagnostics test for the NSS without having to drop the pipes?
Thanks.

nissanfreak12

Try putting it in neutral and starting it first. And no, The auto has a junction box that houses all the switches. It has something similiar to a NSS, but call something different.

Make sure the battery is fully charged and all connections are tight. Mainly the ground. This will cause a o start and possible clicking by the relay.

ZX-Smoov

I don't know where the ground is located, can you help me?
Tried it in neutral.
Battery: 12.31v under load

I'm going to check the connection (E32) under the hood on the passenger side. It leads to the Alternator.
Another person in a different post had same symptoms until he reconnected this wiring. I will check back for your help and update you after I check the (E32) connection.
Thanks.

po8pimp
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx NA (White)
2004 Nissan Maxima SE (Black)

I had this happen in my 91 NA turned out that if you open the drivers side floor panel, you will see a small box for your security system. Unplug and try to start the car. If it works, then that module either needs replaced, or you have more troubleshooting ahead of you. I just kept mine out. have to lock door manually now.

ZEthan
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo

Anyone else figure it out? Same exact thing happens to me.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”