Second Replacement of Rod Bearings and Timing chain noise.

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
TrustyTech
Car: Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L QR25DE

So the beginning of the story starts when my car started making a weird knocking noise after I turn sharply to the right about a mile away from my house. The road is narrow so it’s hard to turn on and I was going a bit too fast. Anyways long story short took it to mechanic he told me I spun a rod bearing . I replace the bearing under instruction from the mechanic only to have the bearing fail like a week later. I wondered if that was partially due to the fact that the mechanic told me to put lubrication on both sides of the bearing and after some research and finding this to be incorrect I decided to clean the back of the bearing before installing it into the Rod and Rod Cap. I just replaced it again and I can get the engine to idle all right if I’m in a forward motion with the car, but in reverse and sometimes at idle it will still make a weird knocking noise which actually sounds like it’s coming from the timing chain cover like the chain is slipping or something. Maybe it’s my oil pump wondering if you guys any suggestions for what I should do. Afraid I’m gonna have to replace the crankshaft but the sound really sounds more like it’s coming from the timing chain cover and is a different sound than the actual rod knock. Haven’t driven it much since replacing the bearings second time earlier today, since I’m scared that whatever is making that noise will simply cause the Bearing to spin again
Last edited by TrustyTech on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrustyTech

FYI.
Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L QR25DE

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Sounds like your not getting oil to the chain tensioner or to any part of the engine if your spinning rod bearings. Did you lightly polish the rod bearing surface? Did you measure the rod bearing surface? STD bearings? Did you replace the o ring on the pick up tube? Did you keep all the rod caps in order? Did you properly torque the rod caps? Before you pull the timing cover and try to change the crank just swap the engine and save your time and money. I’m sure you ran the engine out of oil. Those qr25 are known to consume a lot of oil. You can get a used engine from Japan for under $1000.00 shipped to your door step. I have an old engine in my back yard with the head off. on an engine stand if you live In Colorado you can have it. Had a blown head gasket and timing chain slap at start up

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

FYI google search California jdm motors. If your going to change the engine swap every electrical connector over from the old engine to the “used” engine. It comes with everything but to avoid any check engine lights just swap it all. Cam sensor, crank sensor , knock sensor, throttle body alternator, injectors, power steering pump (has a electrical connector as well) put them side my side and swap them. As tempting it is to use the newer stuff don’t do it.

TrustyTech

Thanks for the quick response both of you. I’m going to pull an engine myself from a yard near here if I can find an engine I trust as good. All of your suggestions will be very helpful especially with electrical connections, I will keep on my original sensors. I did properly torque my rod caps but I did not replace the ring on the pick up tube. I only replaced one rod bearing so I didn’t have to keep the rod caps in order.
As for that noise I was hearing from the timing chain, I’ve attached a link to a video with the sound. Let me know what you think.
https://youtu.be/nCBI9pCw7LY

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

First thing I would ask is the oil pressure light working on that car?

90% of all spun bearings damage the rod enough to repeat it very shortly after the first time..............you generally do NOT go right back to business as usual. Not familiar with that engine but if the rod caps are TTY bolted then the bolt has to be changed as soon as it is loosened or the rod spins again anyway. TTY bolts are one time use ONLY.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”