Second hand values

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
pemifer
Car: Future Leaf owner

I'm looking for a second hand Leaf in USA but i was thinking of buying in July or August.
I saw several very cheap (comparing to Portuguese values) Leafs for sale but i wonder if this is temporary.
Should i buy right now?
Do you think prices will get lower or higher in summer?

vonscorpio
Car: Current:
15 Q50S
91 M30
Past:
16 QX50
11 G25x RIP
97 I30 RIP
01 QX4
11 G37 Sedan
07 Maxima

In general, used (or pre-owned) cars don't have the same sales cycles or promotional offers from dealerships as new cars do.

Not sure how the recent low gas prices will sway things, but in general the only vehicles I see shift in price during certain seasons are 4WD/AWD or convertibles during winter and summer respectively.

I've been pricing used Leafs in the Seattle area, since I am buying a house. I've found used 2013 - 2015 Leafs ranging from $12,000-$16,000 all clean with low miles, which hasn't really fluctuated in the last few months.

Hope this helps.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Here's some advice on buying a used Leaf.
How long will the battery of a Nissan Leaf last?

Anyone who uses a cellphone or a laptop computer knows that batteries degrade over time. Let's be very clear: Your phone battery can be trashed in a year or two--and that is NOT the case with an electric car.

All electric-car batteries are warranted against total failure for either 8 years/100,000 miles or 10 years/150,000 miles, depending on what state you live in. And Nissan improved its warranty coverage for Leafs in spring 2013, making the new terms retroactive to 2011 and 2012 models as well. The changes came in response to concerns over fast battery degradation in a very small number of Leafs in extremely hot areas--Phoenix, specifically. The revised warranty also protects U.S. Leaf owners against battery-capacity loss during the car's first five years or 60,000 miles.

If the battery capacity gauge falls below nine bars (from 12) during that period, Nissan will repair or replace the battery under warranty with a new or remanufactured unit, "to restore capacity at or above a minimum of nine bars." Nine bars equates to about 70 percent of remaining capacity--meaning that the effective range of a 2011 Nissan Leaf, originally rated at 73 miles, could be down to something like 50 miles.

Note, however, that very, very few Leafs have fallen to nine bars thus far. In fact, our colleague Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield's 2011 Leaf only lost its first bar (of 12) after 53,000 miles and more than three years.

Our advice: First, insist on seeing a current battery-capacity test from a Nissan dealer for any Leaf you are seriously considering. Second, you may want to set a minimum level, perhaps cars with only 11 or 12 bars--though it's likely that Leafs with 9 or 10 bars will be considerably cheaper. It all depends on how many daily miles you'll really put on the car, and whether you have access to battery charging at work.

If worst comes to worst, a replacement battery pack for a Nissan Leaf will run you $5,500. And that new pack will have an updated cell chemistry that is far more heat-resistant, Nissan promises.

Within a few years, we'll likely see more daring buyers bargaining hard for the very few Leafs no longer eligible for the capacity warranty and whose batteries may have fallen to 50 or 60 percent of capacity. Less knowledgeable sellers or dealers may simply want to get rid of that car for a few thousand dollars. That may mean that those daring buyers could have a new pack installed, and end up with a Leaf with the range of a brand-new model for $10,000.

Read more at: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... ectric-car

Return to “Leaf Forum”