Second CVT bites the dust - done with the Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rowlands57

I have tried all I can to keep this vehicle (2011) for at least 175K miles, but it's not mean to be. I am on the second CVT that was 'babied' and well tended with an external cooler and it still managed to bite the dust. It's sad that Nissan has pawned this inadequate transmission off on so many unsuspecting buyers. Their reaction from 'corporate' and the dealership on the first go round have ensured that a Nissan will never darken my driveway again. I will also do my best to help anyone I know avoid the same mistake I made in buying one of these 'heaps'.

I wish everyone here good luck with their Rogues and I hope you all have better luck than I did.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Sorry to hear that.

I feel your pain.

I’m going on 147,000k on my ORIGINAL cvt and I babied it too.

Yet, I am dreading the day this rogue fails, as I feel like I’m driving with a terminal patient ready to die. Even though nothing is wrong with it at the moment.

I customized my rogue like crazy but it sucks that the cvt could break down out of the blue.

The only positive because of the internet, this forum, & YouTube, I was able to upkeep and maintain my Rogue.

Back in the day I saw Nissan as in the top 3 Japanese brands with Toyota and a Honda.

I now think Nissan is not worthy to be in this group.

They went downhill since joining Renault and using that Jatco cvt. :werd:

Good luck on your next brand of vehicle.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

My 2011 transmission has officially bit the dust also at 100,300 miles, changed the fluid twice in that time frame in an attempt to keep it alive. That didn’t work out so well.

Act of God
Car: 2016 Rogue SL

My 2016 went at 32,000 miles lol

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

rowlands57 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:58 am
I have tried all I can to keep this vehicle (2011) for at least 175K miles, but it's not mean to be. I am on the second CVT that was 'babied' and well tended with an external cooler and it still managed to bite the dust. It's sad that Nissan has pawned this inadequate transmission off on so many unsuspecting buyers. Their reaction from 'corporate' and the dealership on the first go round have ensured that a Nissan will never darken my driveway again. I will also do my best to help anyone I know avoid the same mistake I made in buying one of these 'heaps'.

I wish everyone here good luck with their Rogues and I hope you all have better luck than I did.
I really am waiting for my CVT to bite the dust so I can swap in an actual transmission... word on the street is that the X-Trail has a 6-speed manual. I am literally at 100k miles, and we happened to get another Rogue.

My CVT is half babied and half abused the life outta it.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

rowlands57 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:58 am

How long did the second CVT last you? Was it a new unit or rebuilt?

Thanks

rowlands57

The second unit lasted about 50K miles and it was a used part from a 2013 and it came with 36K miles already on it. All in the second one lasted 86K. We completely swapped out the fluid before installing it. In addition, I added an external cooler for the fluid to prevent overheating.

Seems to me these things are a crap shoot at best and I will not have anything to do with a CVT again unless it becomes completely unavoidable. I see other manufacturers going the CVT route and all I can hope is that they manage to do a better job of them than Nissan has.

DTASFAB

Jatco makes this CVT for the Nissan, Subaru, and Jeep. Toyota and Honda don't use Jatco and they are much better.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

DTASFAB wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:16 am
Jatco makes this CVT for the Nissan, Subaru, and Jeep. Toyota and Honda don't use Jatco and they are much better.
Even better, the Toyota RAV4 comes with a 8speed automatic. :naughty:

FantomLightning
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select AWD w/ Convenience Package.
Graphite Blue

DTASFAB wrote:
Jatco *made* a CVT for Jeep, it was in select years of Compass and Patriot. No current Jeep product is using a CVT. Subaru CVTs (at least those available on the US market) are all of Subaru in house design. Some of Subarus older geared ATs were sourced from Jatco, but not CVTs.

DTASFAB

FantomLightning wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:31 pm
DTASFAB wrote:
Jatco *made* a CVT for Jeep, it was in select years of Compass and Patriot. No current Jeep product is using a CVT. Subaru CVTs (at least those available on the US market) are all of Subaru in house design. Some of Subarus older geared ATs were sourced from Jatco, but not CVTs.
I must have gotten bad information from a Nissan dealer about Subarus then.
casperfun wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:41 am
DTASFAB wrote:
Even better, the Toyota RAV4 comes with a 8speed automatic. :naughty:
I looked very closely at the 2019 Rav4 and I HATE it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNww28gEIJ4

The Rav4 uses Toyota's special 0W-16 oil. Good luck getting that at Walmart.

There are a ton of youtube comparision and review videos pitting the Rav4 against other similar vehicles like the CR-V, CX-5, Forrester, etc. The Rav4 wins very few. The 203HP with the gasoline engine and 8 speed automatic is sluggish, noisy, and can't get out of its own way. The combined 219HP on the hybrid with eCVT is much better, but that can't fix the Rav4's hideous face and body and uncomfortable seats. The rear legroom is also one of the worst (if not the absolute worst) in its class.

As someone whose family has owned seven Toyotas and driven nearly a million combined miles on those cars (two of them reached over 300k each, and the one surviving member of that group has recently reached over 390K with its subsequent owner) I have been completely betrayed by Toyota's design direction. I can't stand sitting in them now. They disgust me. Even worse than betraying me, I believe Toyota has betrayed itself.

I signed paperwork yesterday to trade in my Rogue for a 2019 CR-V LX, the last one they're making with a traditional 2.4L engine. Starting in 2020, all CR-V trim lines, including the base LX, will have the 1.5L turbo engine with the oil dilution problem. I'd rather have an automatic transmission in the CR-V than the CVT I'm getting, but Honda's CVTs don't seem to have any major widespread problems like many others, particularly Nissan. I'm not too concerned about the Honda transmission in the long term.

Sitting in the Honda feels to me like sitting in a Honda felt 20-30 years ago. SItting in a modern Toyota feels like I'm in a vehicle that was built on another planet. My Rogue reminds me more of a GEN1/GEN2/GEN3 Camry than a 2019 Camry. It's really sad in a way.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

DTASFAB wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 am

The Rav4 uses Toyota's special 0W-16 oil. Good luck getting that at Walmart.
I actually saw a bunch of 5QT jugs of this exact weight oil in Walmart today. Mobil1. I think it was actually just a couple $$ cheaper than the 0W-20 that Nissan wants us to use.
I had never even heard of 0W-16 before I saw it, than I see this post. Weird.

Return to “Rogue Forum”