Seb Vettel GT-R: Would you buy one?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.

If Seb Vettel helped develop a new, special edition GT-R, would you buy one?

Yes
No votes
Do want but can't has!
25%
No
No votes
Who the hell is Seb Vettel and why should I care?
75%
GT-R's are too F*ing expensive!
No votes
I just bought a Z!
No votes

Total votes: 4

Tai Maishu

Hey guys, please bear with me as the story of how this brain fart of a good idea came to fruition.

I don't know how many people are HUGE F1 fans, but here goes:
So anyway, I was playing Gran Turismo on my PSP (Yeah, I know; it's Ghetto!), doing a challenge in a familiar car, and had the most brilliant idea I've had in a while: what if you took three-time F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel and had him develop a special edition GT-R? This idea came to me while I was playing but I also remember that Honda did something similar with Ayrton Senna back in the 90's when developing the NSX Type R and seeing a video of it online and thought it could work for Nissan too. Imagine if you will a special edition GT-R with tighter steering, stiffer suspension, F1-inspired brakes, more poweeerrr!, a lighter titanium turbo-back exhaust, even quicker gear changes... You get my point.

Now some of you may ask: "why does it have to be him to develop the car when Nissan has a bunch of talent, young and old, to choose from?" and you wouldn't be wrong asking so; Nissan is after all one of the major sponsors of Polyphony Digital's GT Acadamy, which has given driving contracts to guys like Lucas Ordonez and Jann Mardenborough. Nissan also has excellent works drivers like Micheal Krumm and Satoshi "Honey Badger" Motoyama as well as guys like Marino Franchitti (brother of IndyCar driver, Dario Franchitti), who currently drove for a Nissan-powered team at Le Mans this past year. Let's not forget that all three of the drivers I mentioned previously drove the "formerly Nissan" DeltaWing, under the elusive "Garage 56" designation at Le Mans in 2012.

But why Vettel? The reason is that Nissan, or more specifically Infiniti, sponsors his (and his teammate, Mark Webbers') current F1 race car, the Red Bull Racing RB9, and every time it wins, Nissan is able to sell more cars worldwide. I'm pretty sure you're all well aware of his last project with Infiniti: the FX56 Seb Vettel Edition, which had all the bells & whistles you could want in a performance-oriented SUV. Not to mention it came with a six-figure price tag! He's also worked with Nissan to develop the Infiniti Q50S as well as a bunch of future Nissan cars. But what about his teammate Mark Webber? Well, he's already signed a works driving contract for Porsche. While he will remain a Red Bull driver, it is unlikely that he'll be allowed to develop any future Nissan road cars while under contract with Porsche.

In short, all I'm asking is that if there ever was a GT-R worth six figures (the Spec V was almost US$220,000!), would you want it if he lent his hand and expertise in the development of the car? I know I would because when Ayrton Senna developed the NSX Type R, he passed away not long after its release and values are now through the roof. I'm just saying it could be the same if Nissan follows suit (minus the passing away part)...

Tai Maishu

Okay... So I guess my post keeps getting knocked down because of I reasons I can't comprehend... Fine. I guess if I'm not talking about how great the RB26 is, no one here could honestly give a s***.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

well i would like some aftermarket trickle down,nismo upgrades and such.but no i would not even want such a car

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Tai Maishu wrote:Okay... So I guess my post keeps getting knocked down because of I reasons I can't comprehend... Fine. I guess if I'm not talking about how great the RB26 is, no one here could honestly give a s***.
First, here ya go.

Use that to scoop out the sand piled up in your vagina.

Now, I'm not sure how you extrapolated from the lack of interest that it is due to RB26 loyalty. This is the Skyline forum and while the GT-R is no longer a Skyline, this is the best place for this thread. Surely you would get little love in the RB forum since, duh, it's the RB forum! :chuckle:

I can only speak for myself on this one, here's why I voted the way I did. Who the hell is Seb Vettel? I don't think you will find a great many Nissan enthusiasts follow formula unn so it's probably not a well-known name. You say he's a three time winner, I'm impressed. That's no easy feat, but here's the next problem; he has no tie in whatsoever with Nissan unless you make the Kevin Baconesque connection of his car having a Renault engine and Nissan being tied to Renault. That would remind everyone of that silly VQ engine, though, not the best thing.

The GT-R already has several levels so it seems kind of redundant, but from a marketing standpoint, mouthbreathing fanbois would gladly pay extra for a car with the name of someone they like slapped on it. Hell, I've owned a few of these.

Did I buy it because Paul Newman's name was on the sides, the hood and the headrests? About as much as I buy this for that reason.

However, Newman is actually relevant to Nissan, he raced them.

This Austrian dude has no discernible connection to Nissan so why would people care? He doesn't even race full body cars. If you want to build a fanboi GT-R why not pick a Japan Super GT champion to whore out his name? They actually race cars that at least say Nissan on them.

People will buy anything if you market it right and there is a market for any concept car you can think of, but don't get butthurt if other people don't care as much as you do about it. You lost me at new GT-R. I detest those things from the get go and it's not RB26 love, it's a love of a purer driving machine. I don't feel like driving a PS3, but you obviously do so have fun and quit being so friggin sensitive. :slap:

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

:rotfl

Well said sir!

JTR32gtst

I enjoyed the sand.

GTR are nice, but out of my price range. The Spec V is more than my house...

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”