Seat does not work, stripped nylon gear is the culprit

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
northdatctg
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

I can't be the only one with a stripped nylon gear on the right side track of my drivers seat. The gear can actaully be removed without even taking the seat out, once you know where it is. The dealer wants $680.00 for the track! It's just a little gear that needs replacement! Did anyone find the source of these gears yet?

Hell, I used to work for TRW Steering and Air bag systems. We had Ford Explorer steering wheels around the office and used them like door stops. I always felt sorry for the poor slob that needed a fesh one. Somewhere there is an Engineer with a bag full of those $5.00 gears in his desk! Help us!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!

I don't think anyone found a source for the gears...but I do remember a thread about the same issue.

Poly, any part numbers to help him out?

northdatctg
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

Thanks for the welcome Joe,

If no one knows the source, I am going to have to muster up all my Engineering abilities and measure the damn thing and then find a replacement.

When I do, I'm going to communicate it to everyone. I know this is more common than Infiniti would like to admit. The dealers have enjoyed a very nice warrantly replacement for the entire track, when that little nylon gear is the source of the seat moving inorrectly, or clicking and grinding, etc.

For some of us owners with a deep affection and commitment to the car beyond the warranty, this becomes a very expensive problem.

Incidentally, the gear seems to crack, then it strips.

elleng35
Car: infiniti g 35 x

These parts can be ordered The dealer does not want to waste time diagnosing 1 or 2 broken parts in the rack. My mechanic ordered just the 3 parts and fixed for $300 instead of dealer quote of $1100. Seems to be very common problem. Had pass side fixed under warranty but drivers side went bad 3 months out of warranty, and they would not work with me on price.

joe603

northdatctg wrote:Thanks for the welcome Joe,

If no one knows the source, I am going to have to muster up all my Engineering abilities and measure the damn thing and then find a replacement.

When I do, I'm going to communicate it to everyone. I know this is more common than Infiniti would like to admit. The dealers have enjoyed a very nice warrantly replacement for the entire track, when that little nylon gear is the source of the seat moving inorrectly, or clicking and grinding, etc.

For some of us owners with a deep affection and commitment to the car beyond the warranty, this becomes a very expensive problem.

Incidentally, the gear seems to crack, then it strips.
Take lots of pics! We would love to have a nice how-to

Just so you know, any how-to that's written up with pics will get you a custom title and

thursdaymike

So, all three swithces in my drivers side stopped working. The heighth adjustments dont make any noise and the forward and back switch just clicks! it almost sounds like a relay throwing off. is this the same problem you guys are having?

evenwe
Car: Infiniti G35

can you provide part #s for the gear/motor? I've got the same trouble. Thanks!

evenwe
Car: Infiniti G35

did you ever figure out how to get the necessary parts to fix the broken gear? Any help would be appreciated!

TTZ32/FX35
Car: 2005 Infiniti FX35

This may help some of you. I own an FX35 with the same seat gear problem. I actually had two complaints into the dealer about my seat shifting back and forth while my vehicle was under warranty. That gave me the whole we cant fix it routine twice over the seat track shifting. Then at 70k my seat gear stripped and they wouldnt have anything to do with it. They want $700+ to replace the whole seat track also! I am an engineer and have access to several machines. I eventually took the time to create my own gears. I have replaced all my plastics with mild steel gears cut on a wire EDM machine. I am selling them to help offset the cost and time to make them. I am pretty sure these gears will fit G35s and Muranos as well. If any of you want to see if they will fit you may purchase them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ESELX%3AIT

They can easily be replaced without removing the seat on FXs and im sure they should be easy on other makes as well. Contact me prior to purchase and let me know what vehicle its for. If they dont fit I will gladly take them back on return for a refund. Hope this will fix a few seats out there and prevent anyone from having to buy $$$$ expensive seat tracks.

joe603

Thanks for the help! If you'd like to have more visibility to sell your product, check out the fab market! fabricators-market.html

TTZ32/FX35
Car: 2005 Infiniti FX35

I am not really looking to sell a bunch of these for a profit. Just wanted to offset some of my cost on setup to make the gears. I didnt have a working seat for several months due to it! Just hope I can help a few people with the same problem out. Appreciate the heads up I will look into the fab-market.

macmedia

TTZ32/FX35 wrote:I am not really looking to sell a bunch of these for a profit. Just wanted to offset some of my cost on setup to make the gears. I didnt have a working seat for several months due to it! Just hope I can help a few people with the same problem out. Appreciate the heads up I will look into the fab-market.

I'm looking for these gears. Are you still monitoring this feed and do you still have these metal gears?

joe603

I havent seen him online in a while...

macmedia

joe603 wrote:I havent seen him online in a while...

bummer - thx.

SJB

I just fixed my G35 with this problem. The dealer gave me the $850 price quote, but the service manager took pity and gave me a broken rack that they had from a repair they did on the off chance I could salvage. Sure enough, the right side gear was stripped on this rack too, but I realized that the same gear is used on the left side as well! Sure enough, it was in good shape and I was able to make the swap. Total cost $0!

I also found another post that pointed to https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-evtN ... MG2442.JPG where they sell the gear for $65.

Good luck,

Steve

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Thanks for the update.

jvaughan
Car: Infiniti FX35

macmedia,

i found the gears for the infiniti fx35 can be found at http://www.odometergears.com/products/I ... Present/98.

i hope this helps.

goodluck!!!!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Interesting. Thanks for the link and welcome to NICO

jackiechan9091
Car: 2006 g35x

I also had the same problem. I reverse engineered the gear and created an ABS plastic version. I am testing it now to see how reliable. As of 1 week works Great!!
contact me for details.

rbspielman
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35

I have been following this thread for a while as I have had the same problems as the rest of the posts. I was just about going to order a plastic replacement or, like the earlier post, see if I could EDM a replacement. I am interested in the ABS version for my Infiniti G35. I am curious as ABS is quite soft compared with the plastic used on the commercial version by Odometer Gears.

rbspielman
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35

I'm interested. Did you have more data?

HMSmai4
Car: '05 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Interested in this also. Purchased used in early December and the driver side seat was not sliding. Dealer agreed to pay for repairs, but was not happy to hear the Infiniti dealers $1100 quote. Took it to another local mechanic who noticed it was the gear only.

Does anyone know which of the three is for the '05 G Sedan?

Thanks guys.

Joey M
Car: FX 35

This seems to be a common enough problem that the manufacture should address it. I've owned the 2005 FX35 since new. Just this evening my wife walked in the door and said her seat doesn't work. I jumped to it and found the plastic gear stripped. It's good to see someone sells the gear. But plastic for $6 :tisk: 5!!? Before I pop for this I'm going to try and have it cast in soft metal like brass or aluminum. I've had things cast before and I know where I can get it spin cast like they make jewelry. I'm sure I can get it made for less than $65. If I can I'll let everyone here know. Otherwise I'll stop being cheap and spend the $65.

tedmarx38
Car: 2004 G35x

The link to the ebay account for the part does not work. It's been awhile and I'll reach out directly to the kind person who figured out how to make the gear -- however, if anyone has info on alternative means of acquiring this part, please let me know. Thanks. ([email protected])

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”