Seafoam usage

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
QShip

How often should you use Seafoam? I put in the gas tank every two weeks and in a vacuum line once a month.

Is that too often or not often enough?

deesolballs

This is the seafoam site...http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

They say "For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles".Maybe putting it on your lube/filter schedule would be fine.

lonallenq45

This is the first time I have heard of this stuff. Where did you guys hear about this? With a name like "Sea Foam" I would have thought it was a New England Pale Ale. :beer

Does it produce any noticable driving or MPG differences?

Lon

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

lonallenq45 wrote:This is the first time I have heard of this stuff. Where did you guys hear about this? With a name like "Sea Foam" I would have thought it was a New England Pale Ale. :beer

Lon
i imagine it would produce a noticable difference if it cleaned a clogged injector out. other than that i doubt it....preventive maintance. as far as MPG, i don't think i've heard anybody ever comment on this.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Still get the comments about MAGIC Mileage increases??? Snake oilIf a single injectors was completely dead you might get a 10% mileage increase if you could stand the vibration.

Most injector dirtyness is in the 5-10% flow restriction so the extra lean can cause a lean miss [since at idle the fuel flow is so miniscule] but usually just causes you to depress the accelerator MORE to compensate at any speed. So a perfect set of injectors might get 3-5% better mileage than a dirty set if you consider the closed loop cycle.Even a bad O2 sensor won't affect mileage more than 10% as the ecu just reverts to open loop and supplies something close.

Pour in the tank MILD injector cleaners are designed to keep minor deposits away not clean up bad injectors. After a rail flush they can keep them clean for 6 months to a year [or a week ]depending on your gasoline and driving cycle.

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

lonallenq45 wrote:This is the first time I have heard of this stuff. Where did you guys hear about this? With a name like "Sea Foam" I would have thought it was a New England Pale Ale. :beer

Lon
I also ride a Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycle and bike people (with carburators) swear by this stuff to clean carbon deposits, etc.

Never tried it in the J30 though...

You can find it at most Napa stores.

Carlos

Return to “General Chat”