Scuff Protection: Scratching of paint on lower doorsills

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

chove1437 wrote:Anybody know of a product that can be purchased locally through Canadian Tire, Hope Depot or Rona for a fix?
http://www.NoChip.caGo to the end of page 2 of this thread, that is the cheapest way I found to get it.

They take a little bit of time before sending it (may be they were busy), so don't stress about it, they will mail it to you.

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thanks wbloomfield & Pescakl1 for all your help!

Pescakl1, did the 3M scotchgard come with instructions or did you "wet" install and then squeegee to get all the air bubbles out?

Pescakl1

There is no instructions how to install it as it is a generic roll for several uses.

I did not install it yet as I don't have any moment for me and my car right now (it is so dirty).

But when I will have some time, end of september probably, I will use the advices of Philip and the others to do a wet install with a spray of a little bit of baby shampoo with some water and a squeegee.

jmbones

If there is any interest, I can put together a kit that will include 5 pieces (one extra) of Avery A9 (9 Year rating) clear vinyl that is cut exactly to the size needed for each door sill. The kit will also include a squeegee, small spray bottle, and special application fluid. Price would be $10-20 range.

chove1437

I would be interested. Seeing as I have yet to hear from NoChip.ca

jmbones

chove1437 wrote:I would be interested. Seeing as I have yet to hear from NoChip.ca
I'm putting a kit together and will have more details shortly.

jmbones

jmbones wrote:
I'm putting a kit together and will have more details shortly.
The kit is now available for $20 shipped.

It includes:

- 1 install squeegee- 1 spray bottle- 2 Rogue front door sill Avery A9 vinyl custom cut pieces- 2 Rogue rear door sill Avery A9 vinyl custom cut pieces

For a limited time I will also include for free:

- 1 spare front piece- 1 spare rear piece

I was considering including some application fluid, however I am having a hard time getting it. All you need is a small amount of baby shampoo mixed in the spray bottle with water. Or you can visit your local auto parts store and purchase a 2oz bottle of "Tint On" which will do the same thing.

If you are interested in this kit, please email [email protected] with "Vinyl Kit" in the subject.

RogueGirl
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008

I got my car in for its first oil change last week. I have showned the technical supervisor the scratches. As expected they told me it's the first time they are hearing about this. Since they haven't received a technical "memo" from Nissan Canada they can't do anything but they took pictures and filled a official form.I also mentionned this website and all the owners affected by this problem. I could have spoke to the wall and it would have been the same!

Pescakl1

Just for the fun of it RogueGirl, which dealer is it?

I don't think we can expect anything about this problem from Nissan, we will have to live with it and do the mod of Mistergib to avoid any more problem.

BTW, did the passenger side this weekend, and will do the other side as soon as I have some time. Quite easy to do, just be sure to clean it like new before applying the film with a lot of baby shampoo mix.

RogueGirl

Hi Pescakl1, it's Nissan Gabriel in Anjou. I have to do the film thing but I buy cars new because I don't want anything to do with "fixing" things... I don't enjoy that at all, lol!

btw, I'm shopping for snow tires right now and I can't find a thread about that on the forum, as anybody discussed that already? I got the prices from the dealer and saw the prices at Costco. I'm going to the States in 2 weeks and the price are about 60$ less per tire... i might buy them there.

Pescakl1

It is always strange to start maintenance on a new vehicle, should not be happening .

I knew there was a thread on winter tires for the Rogue... took some times (search function did not find it )... here it is: zerothread/321013

For my part, I am looking at the new michelin X-Ice Xi2 as I drive mainly on highways (first to be cleaned and often dry between snowfalls) and its seems to be the best for these conditions (not too much driving on small roads up north).

I got free 16 inches rims with the car and I have a hard time understanding something: Costco told me the 215/70R16 in Xi2 is $188/tire ($11 for installation included), $213 for the 225/60R17 but when I look in the michelin website, this size is not listed How much for the winter tires from the dealer?

Interesting to know that even the snow tires are cheaper in the US. If you do buy them, could you share your experience with us? Where did you buy them? At what price?

Thanks.

RogueGirl

thanks for the link if you don't mind I'll continue over there and answer your questions so we don't change the subject of this one.

RogueGirl

Hi,

so I got news from my dealer regarding the scratches... they called and gave me an appointment in december to repaint the area and put plastic protection on it. I'm happy they took the time to follow up. I'll let you know after the job is done the results.

Roguegirl

jckc
Car: 2004 Altima S, 2008 Rogue SL AWD

my dealer said nissan will repaint the scratch and remove the weather strip from the dear. I am okay with the repaint but unsure about the removal of the strip. What do you all think?

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Finally checked out the area of the scratches last month. Sure enough, I got'em. I ordered the kit posted here by 'jmbones' on 9/10. Finished applying the clear cover strips in about 1 hour. As per instructions, it really would be good to have a helper when putting on the front door pieces. Don't see why this fix wouldn't work.

philipa_240sx

Still no word from Nissan regarding a fix for this.

The snow will be flying soon, the clear plastic strips will be going on this week. If and when Nissan does come up with a solution, I can simply remove them.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I really can't imagine what fix Nissan will come up with, other than offering paint protection film like many of us have installed ourselves, and to repaint the areas already affected. I don't think I'll be holding my breath on this one, especially since it's not a mechanical issue and not in a very noticeable area. I used to be upset about this problem, but since I installed the clear protection tape and it's addressed the problem I actually don't care if Nissan helps out of not, but of course that is just my opinion, of course if they do offer a fix I won't complain either!

NismoPhan
Car: ???? Nissan Rogue S AWD

Man! Had my Rogue for a week now, and I'm already seeing the scratches occurring. Waitin' on my roll of 3M to show up any day now.

kuusselka
Car: Nissan Rogue

Is this an issue with all 2008 AND 2009 Rogues or only 2008's?

EddNog

kuusselka wrote:Is this an issue with all 2008 AND 2009 Rogues or only 2008's?
If it's a Rogue, it has it--doesn't matter what year.

-Ed

kuusselka
Car: Nissan Rogue

Called my dealership in Winnipeg, Canada (Birchwood Nissan) and even though there are no visible scratches yet, they are installing protection in the doorsills as a preventative measure for me tomorrow.

They were somewhat hesitant because there is no current damage, but other than that, they were extremely helpful and obliging.

If it hadn’t been for this forum, I would have been none the wiser. Thanks!

paint protector

My name is dustin and i install 8mil film on vehicles to protect the paint from rock chips, scratches and road debris. I found this form from one of my customers that was having the same issues on these door sills. I designed patterns for this model specificly to prevent further damage. I can sell these kits for a cheap price and can give directions for install. Feel free to contact me at 913.384.2665 for questions on this matter. I do guarantee that this will stop this problems. Dustin Lasiter Midwest Tinting Inc.

jmbones

Hi Dustin, I already have a kit out that includes all precut material and install tools. Read the earlier pages of this thread for more info.

Thx
paint protector wrote:My name is dustin and i install 8mil film on vehicles to protect the paint from rock chips, scratches and road debris. I found this form from one of my customers that was having the same issues on these door sills. I designed patterns for this model specificly to prevent further damage. I can sell these kits for a cheap price and can give directions for install. Feel free to contact me at 913.384.2665 for questions on this matter. I do guarantee that this will stop this problems. Dustin Lasiter Midwest Tinting Inc.

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I noticed I too had scratching on my Rogue, took it into the dealer, they had never heard of it before, but they took pics and sent them off to Nissan. Dealer isn't offering to repaint the sills or put a protective film over them or anything, but at least they're reporting the issue to Nissan, every report helps!

CincyRoguer
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD/Gotham Gray/Black Leather

I got my Rogue at the end of August and it doesn't seem to have this issue. Mine came with a hard plastic strip on all 4 door sills that I'm assuming is to protect from this issue. Are all models shipping with this now? If so, I would assume that would fix the issue going forward. It would seem like the dealer would be able to install this on the models that originally shipped without it after repainting to insure it wouldn't happen in the future.

Pescakl1

I think you did the same mistake that I did: every Rogue has plastic strip ON the door seal, but we are talking about the SIDE of the door seal where the door goes to seal the door against the below of the car.

Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

I bought my Rogue on 12-07-08 and didn't see the scatches, but after reading this post I do have the scatches and the dealer will not fix. They said they will buff out the problem area and I have to add something to protect the area.

Stupid

nickmatine

Thanks to this forum, I noticed this issue on my blue Rogue. I have had it for 3 months.Any update from Nissan?

P.S. For “RogueGirl “. I’m from Montréal also. Can you tell me the dealer’s name?

philipa_240sx

Nope, Nissan has been silent on this issue. It's been like 9+ months since I reported the issue to Nissan Canada.

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

philipa_240sx wrote:To All Rogue Owners:

Many members have reported heavy scratching of the paint on the lower doorsills. We believe that the scratching is caused by dirt being trapped between the weather stripping and the doorsill. Some have reported scratches to the point of showing primer and possibly rust.

Here is a photo of the affected area: Image courtesy member Ryepow
I was fortunate enough to stumble across this thread when my Rogue only had 240 miles on it. I ran out and inspected my door sills. Sure enough... although the wear was "very" faint... I could see the beginning of trouble.

This thread has several links to suppliers of paint protection films, (3M, Xpel, Invisible shield, Venture etc...) all of which are excellent. Considering the film was developed by 3M to help the US Military prevent erosion that was occurring along the leading edges of helicopter blades during the first Gulf War... it will be more than enough to protect our door sills from road dirt abrasion.

I found a company on eBay selling Venture Tape Paint Protection in small chunks. I order a piece 12" by 36" for $22.15 delivered. I got it the same week I ordered it!!! A very fast shipper.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/system_skin ... rom=&_ipg=

I cut four 2 inch wide strips... resulting in four 2 x 36 inch strips.. (One for each door) Easy to install... in a spray bottle add 2 Drops of baby shampoo or dishwashing liquid to 16oz of water, peel the backing off the film to expose the sticky side, mist the film "both sides", mist the area where the tape is to be applied. Apply the film. Push out the excess water and bubbles with the edge of a credit card. NOTE: I butted the two pieces edge to edge where the two doors meet. The seam doesn't even show (beside the only time you see that area is when the door is open) so I didn't agonize over the installation. In fact I still have enough film left over to cut 4 more strips at 1 1/8 inch wide which is more than enough to cover the area in question.

Film Strip Installed!

FYI... in inspecting my vehicle I noticed Nissan applied small circles of paint protection film in the rear lift gate area to prevent the lift gate rubber bumpers from abrading the paint. I find it interesting they thought to apply tape here... but not in the area of the door sills

Anyway... since I didn't need the entire 36 inch lengths of the four strips I cut, I made use of the scraps. I noticed on all four door that the rubber bumpers "did not" have film protection on the paint like the lift gate did... so... I traced around a coin and cut out some circles. I even small circle films patches in-line with the rubber boots that cover the door switches.

Last edited by Elton Noway on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Rogue Forum”