1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Any Scribblenauts veterans around?

The latest iteration is available on consoles and (mercifully) the PC. A game centered around typing out words should always have been on the PC.

The last two versions were Nintendo DS titles. So you used the stylus to type and control things. Not bad, but not as good as a keyboard.
There was also an iOS spinoff but it was really a "lite" version, basically just the playground levels that serve as glorified start screens on the DS games.

Anyway, this one adds an "open" world (which is really just themed levels joined coherently into a world via a map screen and transition zones at their edges. So rather than small, self-contained puzzles, you end up with areas with lots of little puzzles and the occasional self-contained puzzle (which zones you out of the main level until it is completed). The big deal this time is that you can not only create NEW objects with adjectives attached, but also ADD adjectives to any existing object. So when that nerd needs to get past the bully to get to school, you can just make him a "brave nerd." Or, alternatively, a "friendly bully," but where's the fun in that?

You can even add adjectives to yourself. So rather than having to crap out an invisible supersonic jetpack every level to make getting around easy as pie, you simply turn Maxwell into "indestructible supersonic flying genius Maxwell" and BAM. You can fly, you won't accidentally die when you stupidly create a treadmill in water and get electrocuted, you're fast, and people think you're smart!

I've been playing through the main storyline, which says great things about the game. With the last two titles I tended to grow bored of the "real" puzzles and retire to the playground levels where I'd spawn weird stuff to my heart's content. This time around, though, I hop into the game thinking I'll make some Light Blue Iranian Submarines and Laughing Infidels to poke fun at today's news...only to find myself, 40 minutes later, having gone through two new levels and having a blast doing what the game wants me to. Which is a term used as lightly as possible here, because all the game wants you to do is to do what YOU want to do. With some vague goals.

Awesome moments so far:
--At the Jurassic Park themed level, the game asked for something that sucks blood to place in amber so the scientists could clone dinosaurs. Stuck a lawyer in the amber. Dinosaur came out of the cloner.
--At an undersea level, a hermit crab needed a new place to live. Wanting to move on to the Chthulhu I could see in the corner of the map, I created a "shell"--only to be asked if I wanted a seashell or a shotgun shell. Why, the latter of course!!!! Hermit crab happily crawled inside his new home.
--Wingless angel needed a way to fly away. Gave her a pink hoverboard. She loved it.
--Accidentally turning everyone undead by mistakenly spawning an undead leg and leaving it unattended. It bounced around the level biting everyone and making them undead.
--A frog needed a way to get from lillypad to lillypad. I figured I'd be clever and make a floating treadmill. Electrocuted myself to death. Pro Tip: treadmills are electric. Lillypads float on water.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Any Scribblenauts veterans around?
Apparently not =(

The games looks cool but not my style. The customization is INSANE in this version, you can add adverbs and other characteristics. So you can create a large dancing cow that attacks food; it's freaking nuts.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The "style" is definitely offputting. I wasn't interested in the game until I heard a friend laughing hysterically at it, and he showed me what it was about. The art style and cutesy approach hide it's depth a little (there's even a "be nice to people" moral at the end of this one) but they do NOT get in the way of the game's functionality.

Return to “Gaming”