Screened Porch

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Well, I finally finished a project that I thought would have gotten done years ago! The roof and floor were already there, so I just took out the rails and columns that were there and framed up the porch. The framing is wrapped with a vinyl flashing called "duraflash" and the screen system is called "screen tight"

It's an awesome system... you attach plastic tracks with grooves in them to the framing, and then the screen is attached to them with rubber spline - much like you would use to replace the screen in a window screen. Then the white plastic cap covers it up for a nice clean finish. If you ever damage a peice of screen, you just pop the cover off, rip out the spline, and rescreen that one section... very cools system and not overly expensive. Each 8' stick of the stuff costs about $8 for the base and cap.

I have a ceiling fan and speakers hooked to zone 2 of my receiver in the living room, so I can pipe music or TV out there too. That works great during football season when I have people over for the game.

Well, I'm going to go enjoy the sound of the frogs with a glass of JB Black and a cigar a bug free environment!

Heath

Modified by Q451990 at 4:11 PM 12/18/2008

M45-Zero260
Car: Jaguar, Volvo. Former Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Dodge, GM, Ford.

Very Impressive! It looks professional, and I like your idea of watching some good ol' NFL while enjoying the outdoors (and it's good for the non-smokers too since it's outside). Very nice installation on the speakers too. I wish I could have this same set-up...I have about a 800sf patio that I would love to have screened in, but I would have to pretty much build from scratch. Anyway, looks awesome - Great idea and job!!!

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

kick freaking a$$. looks great.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Looks awesome!!!

Return to “Around the House”