SCE Gaskets for KA24DET

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Anyone ever used one of these aftermarket head gaskets on a KA or KA-T? I havent heard much about them and I was hoping I could find someone who has experience with them.

Was it worth the money? How much did you pay? Was is quality and is it a good investment?

ThanksRick

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

uh, I have never used them, but if it counts, I plan to.Almost every good turbo buildup I have seen makes use of a copper/steel/metal headgasket to aid its durability....regardless of the thickness of the gasket(raising or lowering compression ratio)...-chet

95_240sx

what about 438 rwhp on a stock head gasket? Thats what chris may did, and no problems. Do you know what the going rate for the SCE Gaskets are?

Rick

240 or die

Where can i get a metal hgasket for my ka. Looking to lower compression for turbo.

Exar-Kun

http://www.scegaskets.com/index.htm

I think they're like 200? Im not sure...

chris may lives close to me, and I take my car to the place he got his built up at, which is maybe 20 minutes from my house....and jeff over at BaPo says it'd be a good idea to hve the metal headgasket, not because its required, but it can save me some headaches if I experience a problem..

-chet

95_240sx

Im going to give it a try with just a o-ringing mine, if i blow it, which I would rather blow a head gasket if (which I wont) I get detonation, rather than blow a piston into next week, I will change the the SCE Gasket and hope I dont lower my compression too much.

Rick

240 or die

Chris has the twin turbo setup huh?

240 or die

And as far as i know lowering the compression will help for turboing, right. So would the metal gaskets give you a little reassurance and added performance or not?

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

240 or die wrote:Where can i get a metal hgasket for my ka. Looking to lower compression for turbo.

"A variety of methods exist to change a compression ratio. Almost ALL are UNacceptable....It is possible to err so badly in removing the squish that a resulting 7-to-1 compression ratio may ping worse than a 9-to-1 with proper squish."

If that made no sense to you, then go buy "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell and read every page before you put a turbo on your car if you want it to last.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

95_240sx wrote:Im going to give it a try with just a o-ringing mine, if i blow it, which I would rather blow a head gasket if (which I wont) I get detonation, rather than blow a piston into next week, I will change the the SCE Gasket and hope I dont lower my compression too much.

Rick

Unfortunately, with detonation, you can't predict what will happen. It's not like a simple mechanical issue of the weakest link breaking first. In essence it can break several things at once. Usually it's limited to one thing, but depending on where in the combustion chamber and at one point, etc. it can damage the piston before it damages the head gasket. There's is just too much to consider...

Exar-Kun

Im going to probably use a stock thickness head gasket, and go from there....

that way, I dont mess with the head design and stuff....-chet

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Just wanted to note a great positive of a metal headgasket. The OEM gasket is a pill to remove. It's stuck to the block and head real good. If you blow something up after you replace the head gasket, at least it will be a lot easier to do the work. Especially considering that it is quite easy to damage the mating surfaces trying to remove the OEM gasket and you would have to send it to get decked.

1991240xs

240 or die wrote:Chris has the twin turbo setup huh?
no, single turbo...no point in a twin turbo setup on a 4 cylinder-

Exar-Kun

no point in twin sequentials on most cars anyway...thats why most supra/RX7's goto single turbo upgrades...Chris May has a heckuva setup on his 240, and Im working with the shop that built it, they gotta help be find the injectors i want and stuff..

anyways....im tired. Imma sleep now.-chet

95_240sx

Exar-Kun wrote:no point in twin sequentials on most cars anyway...thats why most supra/RX7's goto single turbo upgrades...Chris May has a heckuva setup on his 240, and Im working with the shop that built it, they gotta help be find the injectors i want and stuff..-chet

Im 95% sure he has MSD 72lb injectors, JWT computer, and JWT fuel Rail, as well as a Walbro 255/lph fuel pump, Im not 100% sure, you can always call him and ask him, he is always willing to help out another 240 lover in need of some direction and help.

Rick

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

or you can visit his page http://www.executivecleancar.c...s.htm

95_240sx

That Works too

Rick

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

What's the stock head gasket thickness by the way so I know what size to order?

And, I've only found one place that carries these...any suggestions?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”