SCARY - Cruise Control Wouldn't Turn Off

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Jeff2001Pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I had a bit of a scare last week….

My cruise control on my 2001 Pathfinder wouldn't turn off even when tapping/riding the brake. Not that it really matters because it should have turned off when I hit the brakes but no lights indicating the cruise was on. Actually, the cruise never really worked ever since I got the vehicle 3 year back so I kind of got used to life without cruise control but now it's back with a vengeance!

Has anyone heard of this? Doesn't seem to be an issue now but is there a way I can completely disable the cruise control until I can figure out what the heck happened. I had to pull over on an off ramp riding the brakes hard to get the vehicle to stop and then I shut her down with the RPMs continuing as if the car was still cruising at highway speeds. Good thing there wasn't much traffic.

Anyways, long time reader on the board but this is my first post.

Great site! Any insight is much appreciated.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I think you need to replace the ASCD cancel switch.

You said that cruise was active, even though the "CRUISE" and "SET" indicator lights in the instrument cluster were not lit?

Follow the instructions on page EL-249 to do a check of the fail-safe system.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

When you first turn the key on, do the cruise control lights come on during the lamp test?

Are you sure it wasn't a stuck throttle?

Chuck

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Chuck Tribolet wrote:When you first turn the key on, do the cruise control lights come on during the lamp test?

Are you sure it wasn't a stuck throttle?

Chuck
The cruise lamps do not come on as part of the "bulb check" when turning the ignition to ON or starting the engine.

The stuck throttle is also possible - the thought hadn't crossed my mind. Since the cruise was apparently not operational (given there were no cruise/set indicators on) it could have been a stuck throttle. You can try cleaning the throttle body and ensuring that the throttle butterfly spring is not partially dislodged.

patqx4
Car: 2002 QX4

If that ever happens again, shift into neutral. Stopping will be quick and easy.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

If it's a stuck throttle, shifting into neutral may over rev the engine.

patqx4
Car: 2002 QX4

In a dangerous situation like a run away vehicle, I'll choose a damaged engine over loss of life every time.

Jeff2001Pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

Sounds like it was a stuck throttle because my RPMs kept increasing when I put it into neutral but like chuck said I was worried about over revving the engine and put it back into drive. This was the case even when I was well below the speed at which cruise control can be used so a stuck throttle makes sense. Shutting everything down fixed the issue though which made me think it's an electronic failure. Thoughts?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The 2001 Pathfinder has a mechanical throttle body, so it was probably not an electronic failure. Clean and lubricate the areas specified; use multi-purpose grease (NLGI No. 2 lithium soap base). Ensure that the return spring is intact as well.

ARKQX33V6

Check your throttle actuator, release and apply load and be certain it works both ways!

Verify vacuum seal for the engine.

Finally remove any control fusing to output the throttle input and verify the main flex shaft is free and clear.

If your car is by wire then all inputs to the throttle MUST be verified as true, no ifs

Chuck Tribolet

I once had a stuck throttle in my college roommate's MGB. I put my toe under the throttle and popped it out.
It was scary because it was stuck pretty much open coming off a stop sign, and the street I was on was about to end.

Chuck

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”