Sat in my first M. First impressions.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Jesda

Today I stopped by at the dealer to pick up an air filter for my Q. While they were pulling the part and my paperwork, I told them they could find me in the showroom. I got into a black M45 with beige seats, the carbon fiberish looking dash, automatic, and the aero kit (which makes a HUGE difference in the overall stance of the car).

First thing I noticed was that compared to a lot of cars from the 90s, like the Audi A8, 94-96 Q45, and Lexus LS4xx, the materials felt cheap. They weren't flimsy or delicate, but something about the texture and touch gave me the impression of cost cutting. It was nicer than the 02 Q/03 M for sure, but something was a bit off. Fit and finish, at least, were only a step away from Audi/VW.

The biggest improvement over the 02 Q/03 M is how the radio is SEPARATE from the nav/climate control cluster. Its right by the shifter just like my Q, exactly where I like it. There's even two separate knobs for volume and tuning! Why don't manufacturers do this anymore?

The most peculiar difference in the new M, from every other luxury car I've been in or driven, is how light the doors are. In my mind, I've come to believe that heavy doors give the feel of durable full-size luxury. Obviously, lighter doors have a purpose in better fuel economy, acceleration, braking, and handling. It would take a fair amount of time to get used to the change.

I tried the FM radio, which quickly had the showroom booming with "Someday We'll Be Together" by The Supremes on KLOU. A lady walked over and asked if I needed any help. I told her I was goofing around while waiting on a part, and closed the windows and sunroof. Normally, in a car, you feel like you're in a small room with four unevenly spaced speakers. With the M, you get the sense that you're in the center of a theatre, like wearing headphones. I guess that has to do with the seat-mounted speakers.

Other notes:Voice recognition was worthless, and I speak perfect diction english.The back seat and trunk were shockingly roomy.Seats were nicely shaped and supportive without being too firm.

Thats about all I had time for. Maybe next time I'll take one for a drive.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Jesda wrote:Maybe next time I'll take one for a drive.
That will make a difference!

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

So you thought the interior was overrated??? Hmm.

Rex
Car: None

Jesda - did you ever sit in an 03-04 M45? I'm curious to know your thoughts in comparison.

Jesda

Dont get me wrong, the interior on the new M is WAY better than anything currently from Cadillac, Acura, or BMW. The assembly quality is definitely there -- everything feels tight and sturdy. However, the materials need a bump up to match Lexus, Audi, and MB. And the new M's seats, while supportive and cushioned in all the right places, make me feel like I'm sitting on them rather than in them. They were nice but I could never feel at home. Some people prefer it this way because you get a more in-control feel.

-----

I actually got to drive an 03 M45 a couple years ago at Wendle Infiniti in Spokane WA. There's an old post somewhere about it.

I prefer the old M's seats, even though they arent as stylish and the leather is noticeably cheaper. The seat sections are more simply arranged on the old M so they resemble the 90-93 Q in how they cup your body and let you sink in. The seats in the 02-06 M/Q are probably the best I've ever been in, not counting older MBs.

As far as driving the older 03-04 M, I was completely impressed. Think of the 1990 Q45 without dead spots in acceleration, plus a bunch of gadgets, minus a significant amount of rear seat room, and more dramatic styling. The 'character' of the 03-04 M is surprisingly similar to the old Q. Handling is secure but body roll could be a bit less. The old M's sound system was decent enough but nothing special. Considering how complicated it must be to upgrade the factory stereo, it should have been a lot better.

Voice recognition is equally worthless in the old and new M.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I just want the air-conditioned seats.... Mmmmmmm.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Jesda wrote:Voice recognition is equally worthless in the old and new M.
You know, sahib, no one, and I do mean no one, has made this comment on any review I have read. Worked for me on my test drive of a Y34 just fine, but didn't really try every command.

Maybe you need to work on your drawl.

When I saw my first live Y50 parked next to my wife's FY33, the FY33 looked racy and smaller by comparison. The Y50 even had the aero kit.

Jesda

maxnix wrote:Maybe you need to work on your drawl.
Hopefully I'm not having moments of engrish!

Which is Y34 and which is Y50?

Rex
Car: None

Jesda wrote:Hopefully I'm not having moments of engrish!

Which is Y34 and which is Y50?
I think they're the old (Y34) and new (Y50) M45's?!!?

We's gots some learngins to do Jessie.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

maxnix wrote:Worked for me on my test drive of a Y34 just fine, but didn't really try every command.
Same here ... I also did not try everything. The same system in my boss's Q45 works very well too.

Z

tkd_q45

These days it's pretty hard to find interiors that don't have some kind of cheapness about them - there's just too much short term outlook in the investment/publicly traded company world. This is a big reason why I bought a 92 400e MB. There's not a single new car (post MY 2000) I've sat in (thought I have not sat in one of those new Bentlys!) that I can say look of better quality than my 400e. It was the last of the MBs that were done w/quality parts.

Here's an interesting thread about MBs cost cutting in regards to the S class - same has happend across the board with MB products.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/sh...19772
Modified by tkd_q45 at 1:23 PM 11/26/2005

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”