SARAH DOES GENESIS

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2009 M35 RWD

SARAH DOES GENESIS

Postby Larz » Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 pm

We M35 / 45 owners have cars that are 10 or more years old and some of us may be looking into what what's available as a replacement. Because Infiniti has left large sedan owners high and dry, we are forced to stray from the barn for something new. We could snag a used Q70 but Infiniti has done so little to upgrade the generations following our cars that I just can't be bothered to buy one. Any new sedans from Infiniti will no longer be petrol so no use in waiting for one.
Tata Motors in China bought Land Rover and Jaguar and have dropped the full size XJ from production. That leaves Lexus and 'zeee Germans'. Lexus is not on my list because the ES series remains front wheel drive and its LS series for all it's well deserved accolades, is not the kind of sdean I want - too pensioner focused and not enough oomph.
That leaves Mercedes and Audi. Unless I opt for an S-class or the A8 with equally outrageous price tags, there really is nothing for me there. The E350 is small and the A6 is just bland. Not to mention the famous unreliability of both as they age.
Then comes the new guy. Genesis, once the flagship for Hyundai has been allowed to stray form home and over the last few years has really stepped up in the same way Lexus when they broke the Toyota chains. Genesis, after a rather lumpy break from Hyundai in 2015, has been making some very serious competition for Japan, Germany, and the US. Unlike other sedans, Genesis has already made 3 generations of the G80 and G90 in just 5 years, adding tech, improving performance, and providing great quality in each new model. I am not yet ready to part with my M35. After 11 years and over 100k miles, it has yet to enter the stage of frequent repairs, and still performs as new. However, that time will come and when it does, I will look for a slightly used Genesis. These cars, like any new brand, will depreciate very quickly and that makes them a great bargain as a used car.
I follow a channel on Youtube calles Sarah-n-tuned. This woman is a mechanical genius and has done some amazing builds. Today, she released a review of the 2021 G90.

I did an actual drive and review of the 2019 G90 a while back and the article is on NICOs front page. Here is the original post: the-genesis-effect-t625570.html

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Re: SARAH DOES GENESIS

Postby Ilya » Fri May 15, 2020 11:43 am

Those wheels are beyond FUGLY. WOW.

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

Postby cruzad3r » Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 pm

i wouldn't count out Lexus. The GS is no longer in production but you can always pick up a CPO one and you'll be set in term of reliability. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so there's always debate in that area.

Another option is Alfa Remeo Guila,that's a nice car to look and drive. If you're really into Korean, another alternative to the Genesis is the Stinger. There's a healthy mixture of power and beauty in that car.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

Postby mazz » Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 am

i looked at Genesis in 2013 before it split off from Hyundai I liked the car felt like an older American Muscle car to me. I bought another infiniti [my current m37x] that year. I was worried about the Genesis holding value at that time. Interestingly i spent a moment to look at current values of the 2013 Genesis and my car. Average selling price of that used Genesis is 12111 and my Infiniti is 18460 . I don't recall the actual selling price from 2013 but i thought they were similar.
I am not predicting the future but I agree with Larz Genesis is the most reasonable alternative to our M sedans I'm not sure anybody else does looking at resale values.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Postby PalmerWMD » Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 am

I wouldn't bet on Infiniti going all electric.

Just because someone said so, doesnt mean it will happen.

All electric powertrains still have the exact same range problems they did 10 yrs ago.. thats not going to change anytime soon.
Now Infiniti has some of the best hybrid pwoertrain as exhibited by the fantastic Q50 Hybrid with a 3.5L paired w/ electrics.
But give the EPA rules have recently been relaxed a bit and there is no short term or even medium term threat of stricter EPA rules while at the same time domestic US supplies (as well as supplies in Russia and another important Infiniti market ) are high, the businesscase for an all electric powertrain especially for large luxury vehicles is essentially nil.

Larz
Car: 2009 M35 RWD

Postby Larz » Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 am

All electric powertrains still have the exact same range problems they did 10 yrs ago.. thats not going to change anytime soon.
Now Infiniti has some of the best hybrid pwoertrain as exhibited by the fantastic Q50 Hybrid with a 3.5L paired w/ electrics.
But give the EPA rules have recently been relaxed a bit and there is no short term or even medium term threat of stricter EPA rules while at the same time domestic US supplies (as well as supplies in Russia and another important Infiniti market ) are high, the businesscase for an all electric powertrain especially for large luxury vehicles is essentially nil.
It wasn't 'someone' who said all electric, it was Infiniti who has said it repeatedly. Of course, they can change their minds and frequently do. Even if Infiniti decide to bring back hybrids, it's still using electric. They will also have to bring back the 7 speed gearbox because the weak CVTs they use now could never handle the acceleration and stress. Nissan is regarded among the least reliable CVTs in the industry and I can't work out why. Toyota has been successfully been using CVTs for 20 years! It's not new technology, it just costs money to do it properly and that's where Nissan gives up the flag. They focus on lowest cost instead of best quality. That's why they have made nothing new or tech savvy in years. Now, Nissan is reporting that they must chop 2.8 billion from projected expenses to remain solvent. The chance of them building anything reliable or desirable is quite low. Infiniti is also falling deeper into debt with no leadership and no rudder. I seriously doubt anything they say they will do and everything they claim they are doing. Right now, both of these companies are hanging on by threads and hoping for the best. That is NOT a the place where quality and advanced tech vehicles come from.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Postby LIBRILZ » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

Larz wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm
PalmerWMD wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 am

It wasn't 'someone' who said all electric, it was Infiniti who has said it repeatedly. Of course, they can change their minds and frequently do. Even if Infiniti decide to bring back hybrids, it's still using electric. They will also have to bring back the 7 speed gearbox because the weak CVTs they use now could never handle the acceleration and stress. Nissan is regarded among the least reliable CVTs in the industry and I can't work out why. Toyota has been successfully been using CVTs for 20 years! It's not new technology, it just costs money to do it properly and that's where Nissan gives up the flag. They focus on lowest cost instead of best quality. That's why they have made nothing new or tech savvy in years. Now, Nissan is reporting that they must chop 2.8 billion from projected expenses to remain solvent. The chance of them building anything reliable or desirable is quite low. Infiniti is also falling deeper into debt with no leadership and no rudder. I seriously doubt anything they say they will do and everything they claim they are doing. Right now, both of these companies are hanging on by threads and hoping for the best. That is NOT a the place where quality and advanced tech vehicles come from.
Toyota CVTs haven't been bulletproof. There was recently a recall on the Corolla for the CVts, the Prius CVT seems fine, it's also not connected to a very demanding powertrain. CVT in Honda vehicles have reported problems as well. Nissan just uses them more than anyone else so I'd say that is why you see more of them failing. I would avoid a CVT from any manufacturer.

So long as the merger remains between Nissan and Renault we can expect nothing cool or quality to come from them. The merger is a main reason the company is failing now

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 M35 Sport

Postby EniGmA1987 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Larz wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm
Nissan is regarded among the least reliable CVTs in the industry and I can't work out why.
Nissan has created a really cool design CVT too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jIeSgq7ewI
https://www.nissan-global.com/PDF/tcvt_e.pdf

The Y31 platform was actually the first to use the extroid CVT design, and it was even in our first gen Y34 M's, just not in the US.
It doesnt sound like this is used in modern Nissan cars, probably because of cost reasons. Maybe Nissan should go back to these ones?
I was seeing in comments on that video that the nissan CVTs apparently overheat and this causes their early death?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”