Samsung i730 PDA/phone with Bluetooth and the M45 bluetooth option ...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

I just got a new PDA/phone combo device ... a Samsung i730. Although it works very well with the Motorola 850 bluetooth headset that I also got, the "volume" in the ear is a bit low - almost too low to use when I am in the car.

Has anyone tried this phone with the new M45 bluetooth option? Do you also have low volume issues (btw, I assume the sound comes through the audio system) with that combination?

Z

EDIT: Let's keep this discussion on track, please - I have deleted all posts that are unrelated to that! Does anyone have answers that they can post here about their low-volume experience with bluetooth headsets like I am seeing? Does it work better with the M45 option than with an add-on headset?

Rex
Car: None

szhosain wrote:Hi, all.

I just got a new PDA/phone combo device ... a Samsung i730. Although it works very well with the Motorola 850 bluetooth headset that I also got, the "volume" in the ear is a bit low - almost too low to use when I am in the car.

Has anyone tried this phone with the new M45 bluetooth option? Do you also have low volume issues (btw, I assume the sound comes through the audio system) with that combination?

Z
Maybe it's the cell service you're using .

(sarcasm)

szh

Rex wrote:Maybe it's the cell service you're using .

(sarcasm)
Maybe! But not likely! The handset itself works fine, but the bluetooth headset has a low volume. I am starting to wonder if it is a problem with the headset ... or, I suppose, it could be my ears too!

Z

Rex
Car: None

Z - here's afew things I found ...

Quote »spoke today with tech support on Samsung on keeping bluetooth active full time on the i730 phone using the patch. He said I will experience a big drop in battery life. The phone is not great on battery life in normal operation, so expect less with the patch. I will turn it on each time I get in the car. Since I do not need keys to start the car, after pressing the start button, I have 2 hands free to turn on bluetooth. There is an icon at the bottom of the home page to start it. In addition, I added a bluetooth dongle to my desktop, and using activesync by bluetooth works easily with Win XP, SP2. This way I can leave the phone clipped to my belt when I update Outlook on my PC, and it updates. As a dentist, I found confuguring blue"tooth" easy, in spite of never using it before!![/quote]Quote »I think the Samsung rep forgot that when inactive Bluetooth goes into a low power mode and consumes very little power. I haven't noticed any battery life shortage after using the BT patch for several weeks. What drains the battery is #1 using the phone and #2 using a bright or very bright backlight. I used my phone a few times a day, with BT on all the time, and the small battery lasts 3-5 days before it falls under 40% and I start to get the 'low battery' popup. As for my M, it happily connects to the phone every time I sit in and I don't need to think about it.[/quote]Quote »Phone Compatibility I use a Motorola phone, and the first few days it gave me trouble as well. I have found the system has integrated the phone the more I use it. A friend who has the M35 turned his bluetooth off after a week, because his receipients were complaining of a poor connection. I had this issue for the first week, but like I said, over the last 2 weeks the phone reception and call clarity has improved to the point where it is flawless. Also, if you want a comparison, try the E350 or BMW integrated phone system, it has a suck factor of 10 compared to the Infiniti's suck factor of 3.[/quote]Hope these help and make sense to you

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Z, I will email you as it involves another Forum.

szh

Okay, I figured out what was going on - trial and error and testing worked! The other sites that were e-mailed to me did not cover this, as far as I can tell, or, at least, I figured this out before I looked at many of them.

In the Samsung i730, there is a volume control that sets the headset volume when in a call. What is also controlled, separately and independently, by the same physical volume control buttons (or through a popup window) when not in a call is the "PDA volume". Supposedly this is for the keystrokes, music playback, etc.

What is not clear (or at least I did not find it in the manual) is that the bluetooth headset volume depends on which mode you are in. If you are already in a call, then all sounds mostly normal (although a tad low).

But if you press the headset button to start a voice-recognition session, then the PDA volume bar controls the prompts you hear on the headset! I had the PDA volume set low because I do not want to hear the "clicks" and am not using the unit for music.

This is either a bug or a stupid design! The PDA volume should only control the volume at the stereo jacks for music or keyclicks or whatever ... the bluetooth headset volume (when not in a call) should be set by the same control that is used when in a call.

Needless to say, once I cranked up the "PDA volume" control, I can now hear the voice-recognition prompts on the on the headset. It is still not very loud, but that may be more my ears than anything else. Age has a way of "helping" here.

M45 owners may also find this to be an issue (I have not tested this yet because I am away from San Jose right now). Here, I am assuming that the voice-recognition stuff in the same uses the same prompts from the phone and hence is controlled by the same volume control linking the bluetooth to the M45 audio. If not, then it will not be a problem!

Thanks,

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

So whose Y50 comes into this?

One of the posts I sent you addresses the Y50 bluetooth set-up, the BT headset thread addresses the other settings you mentioned.

Maybe you should distill that information and put it into the FAQ.

SCH-i730 does not have the current 1.2 BT stack, so stereo is not possible over a BT headset. The MS 1.1 BT stack may be VZW crippled anyway.

Enough of boring the board. Back to my simple G50.

Life is good with leaves, trees and babbling brooks........so Zen.

szh

maxnix wrote:So whose Y50 comes into this?
No comment!

Quote »Maybe you should distill that information and put it into the FAQ.[/quote]Thanks for all the info, Brian. I will do some more research too ... and write something up when I get a free moment! Rare sometimes!

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”