Said Goodbye to my EX35...

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Well, the title of the thread pretty much sums it up. The short story is that my wife and no longer have our EX35.

If you're looking for the long story, here it is.
I noticed a few weeks ago that I could smell coolant coming from the front of the car after a drive. I checked the coolant reservoir, and my suspicions were confirmed. There was a slow leak, and pretty much once a week I had to top it off. My mechanic ran a pressure test on the system, and what do you know, the leak was from the water pump. Ugh. His estimate totaled to a bit over $1400. That included the water pump, some seals and gaskets that should be changed while it was apart, and a serpentine belt (which was probably close to its change interval anyway). But since the water pump is driven by the timing chain, the majority of the cost was labor.

So I took the car back to find a good time to schedule the repair, as my mechanic told me he needed to keep the car for 2 to 2 1/2 days. A few days later, my wife was driving the car. It hardly had any power to move itself and the engine shook like a hula dancer. She now feared driving the car and having our kids ride in it. So with the water pump replacement, another problem in which the source that hadn't yet been determined, and her loss of confidence in the vehicle, we decided to cut ties with the EX.

While we loved the EX, I feel these issues were a sign that it was time for us to move on. The car had 144K miles on it, 120K of which we had put on. I was hoping for the car to pass at least 150K, but I guess it wasn't worth it for us to try to get there.

I won't have any more experiences to share about my EX, but I'll pop in here every now and then in an attempt to help out with stuff I might know about. Actually, I do have one more story, but I'll post it later when I have some more time.

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

Sounds like some sort of limp-mode...?
If your EX wasnt overheating could be air/spark/fuel perhaps? Thats about all I know about how a car runs.
:frown:

Sorry to lose you on here NJGuy.

nate2011
Car: 2011 Garnet Red EX35 AWD Journey

Cars come and go. Part of our lives and our culture. I think we're fortunate to be living through the maturation of the auto industry.

good people, hard working, helpful, caring & sharing ... harder to come by -- NJGuy .... you welcomed me here and shared your experience and knowledge. Very helpful. Very informative. Truly a pleasure.

Many thanks for your service and good luck with all future vehicles.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Sorry to hear of your luck. I'm surprised, I'm under the idea that these should last for at least 200k miles. Mine has 78k km, so I'm not too concerned.

NJGuy

EX-KAT-35 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm
Sounds like some sort of limp-mode...?
If your EX wasnt overheating could be air/spark/fuel perhaps? Thats about all I know about how a car runs.
:frown:

Sorry to lose you on here NJGuy.
Not sure, but the check engine light didn't, nor did any other warning lights, come on. It could've been any one of the the three. I would have guessed that the 2nd throttle body started going bad, or maybe the fuel pump was on its way out, who knows?; but we just wanted to be done chasing the source of and dealing with these issues.

Since I was piling the mileage on the EX, I was hoping to explore more of the uncharted territory of ownership in 6 figure mileage and see how far I'd could get with the car. But I guess the car's needs and our busy lifestyle collided, and reached the point where I had to stop. So someone else here will have to take the torch where I leave it and continue the journey (no pun intended) for the rest of us. I'll still stop in once in a while, but I won't be able to bring anything new to the table.

NJGuy

nate2011 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 am
Cars come and go. Part of our lives and our culture. I think we're fortunate to be living through the maturation of the auto industry.

good people, hard working, helpful, caring & sharing ... harder to come by -- NJGuy .... you welcomed me here and shared your experience and knowledge. Very helpful. Very informative. Truly a pleasure.

Many thanks for your service and good luck with all future vehicles.
Yes they come and go, but sometimes it's hard not to get attached to them. What can make it harder is having a community surrounding them like this one. And while I don't want to get too off topic, I do think we're in another automotive golden age. I'll do my best to enjoy it while it lasts.

Man, those are some kind words :cry: :) . I wish my personality and reputation in real life matched that of my internet persona :gapteeth: .

NJGuy

EX35WinterBeater wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:06 am
Sorry to hear of your luck. I'm surprised, I'm under the idea that these should last for at least 200k miles. Mine has 78k km, so I'm not too concerned.
You should be able to reach the 200K mileage mark. I just think it's likely you'll have to address a few repairs along the way.

NJGuy

Here's the final chapter in the story of my EX35 ownership.

On my way to dropping of our son at his school and going to work, I get a phone call from my wife. When she started the car to drop off our daughter at school, she reported to me that the engine was running very poorly and it had very little power. The school is at the top of a hill, and they were afraid that they wouldn't even make it. Fortunately they did, but my wife drove straight home after that. She wasn't allowed to work from home that day, so she took a personal day. It was in our best interest for me to take the day off as well and I drove back home to meet her.

When I got there, I took a few minutes to look at the car. I started it, and it was running fine. I drove it around the neighborhood, and nothing seemed amiss. I told this to my wife. While I believed her drop-off story, she couldn't believe mine and had to see it with her own eyes. She drove the car around the neighborhood too, and everything appeared normal. After mulling over our options and some discussion, we decided to make good use of our day off and trade in the EX for something else.

Being the picky person I am there was a specific car I wanted. But the closest dealership with that model was 50 miles away. So the question was, will the EX get there? So we took off in both of our cars, feeling a bit more confident now that the EX seemed to be running fine. I got out of the neighborhood without a problem. I got out of town without a glitch. I got out of the county without a hitch. I hit the highways, and everything was smooth. I got off the highway and back onto local roads, expecting no more drama. Until there was...

I kid you not, I'm literally less than a mile away from the dealer, and then the funny business comes. Wait, what's this shaking I feel from the engine? :mad: What happened to my throttle response and power?? :argh What's this nonsense?!?!? :tantrum: Please car, this isn't the time to be acting like this! So to keep the engine from stalling, I try to stay on the gas as much as possible, even while stopped at the traffic light. I make my way through the local roads, but this is a high volume dealer. Of course, it's located on a major highway. Why wouldn't it be? So I have one more highway merge to make. Nervous, and panicked, I think I prayed, but I things got kind of hazy by then so I cannot remember. :ohno:

But when I got to the highway, it was pretty much bumper to bumper. YESSSS!!! :woot: When in my life would I ever be thankful for encountering heavy NJ style gridlock?? And this wasn't even rush hour, it was already mid-day on a weekday! So after squeezing my way in, I probably only had a quarter mile to get to the dealership. And the car only needed to creep ahead, no matter how rough and jerky it looked. Yes, the engine did protest a bit, but once I made the turn into the side street I knew I had made it and could breathe easy.

Later, I left my wife at the dealership and took our other vehicle to pick up our kids. But I had to bring them back with me to the dealership so I could sign a few more papers. Again, we had already taken off of work that day so we had the time. What I found odd was that although my daughter didn't like riding in the EX, she still wanted to take a picture with the car one last time before it was gone for good. So my wife snapped a photo of her next to it, posing with a sad face. :boohoo:

I'm not sure I could script a more fitting ending to the story than that.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

Thank you for being a part of this community.
:dblthumb:

I still have my 2008 EX35 ,one of the 1st that came outback then in 2008. She has 88,162 miles right now and had her fuel water pump and radiator replaced last year before warranty went caput!

I was hoping this car can go up to 200k, but that’s a bummer.

BTW, I just returned my 2015 Q40 AWD lease and got a 2018 Q50 Luxe AwD.

Man the twin turbo is night and day smoothier in power delivery than my old Q40.
Wife said she just feels like riding in an airplane vs the rougher Q40 (Ecutek tuned).

Can’t wait to Ecutek tune the Q50 TT and will be much quicker than the stock Q50 Redsport.

The only option on my new ride is essential package.
I had to switch the new rims and tires from the Q50 to my EX35. (18” rims ) pretty nice looking, but it’s runflat that weighs 58ibs each.

I can’t use that for my Q50 since I’m going for straight line performance. LOL!

Keep us posted on what car you are getting next.
Hope you stay with Infiniti. BTW, they have a nice deal going on this Dec.

NJGuy

I think that the car can make it to 200k. I think it's just a roll of the dice to see if anything goes wrong or not, how bad the issues are, and how much you're willing to put up with or put into it.

Nice to hear about your new Infiniti. I bet that the twin turbo has a nice torque curve compared to the VQ35/37 engines.

BTW, I ended up trading in my EX for my new car that same day. While we had a good overall experience with the car, unfortunately we won't be going back to Infiniti. My wife already upgraded two years ago, and the EX has been my daily driver since then. It was my turn to pick a car but Infiniti just doesn't offer anything I'm looking for. I'm a bit of a "manual" snob, so I wanted to support an automaker that still offers them. It's been 12 years since I owned an MT equipped car. Seeing that market start to dwindle away, I wanted to own another before they stop making them entirely.

I've come full circle and ended up with a Honda Accord, 1.5T Sport 6MT. (Let the flaming begin :) ). You guys probably know that I've always been a Honda guy at heart, but I think nowadays their car lineup is almost as interesting as it was about 20 years ago. I know I'm giving up a lot in terms of performance and features when compared to the Infiniti, but I'm fine with the downgrade. I actually wanted a vehicle that was a bit more simple, but I think that the driving experience more than makes up for it. Even in the grind of the daily commute, I find the 3 pedal dance more engaging than just mashing the go-pedal. I'll gladly trade the primal feeling of raw power for the zen offered by a perfectly rev-matched downshift.

I did briefly consider the Civic Si and WRX, but the Accord won out. It had more space to accommodate the growing kids and occasional 5th occupant, and better ergonomics for me. Though looks aren't at the top of my criteria list, my wife really liked the styling. My plan is to eventually hand over the car to my kids after 7 years or so. I'd imagine they'd be more inclined to driving 'hijinks' in either of those sporty compacts, not to mention the likely insane insurance rates that go along with ownership :ohno: . So I'd prefer to give a young driver something a tad more mature and conservative, maybe there will be less 'shenanigans' involved.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I was also a Honda guy from mid 1990’s to 2008. -1995 Civic EX(Manual)2000 Integra Type R (Manual) 2002 CRV and lastly 2005 Pilot.

I gave up Honda that time since they were full of Sh..t when it comes to HP. (e.g Type R 195 HP , but only dynos at 160-163 HP etc) So I switched to Toyota. Then went with Infiniti after and never looked at Honda or Toyota anymore.

Fast forward to 2016 and the current year.
Honda engines became bigger and their cars seem lighter in weight (like in the 90’s)thus giving you the feeling of peepiness.
My 2018 Q50 3.0t is no match to my 2000 Acura Integra Type R when it comes in handling and that’s almost 18 years old technology. Even in Performance setting the Q50 steering is really a let down.
I can’t image the new Civic Type R handling would be! I love the Integra Type R shifter so smooth and precised! It just didn’t have that much power to keep up with the big boys back then. I spent 6 grand on my Integra Type R ( Mugen Cat/back, Jackson Racing Supercharger etc...) and still got smoked by a stock Camaro driven by a fat dude in his 50’s.
That made me hated Hondas back then. LOL!

The new Accord looks sharp! Congrats on the new ride. The turbo engine is the way to go but, Tesla is better if affordable. TheQ50 3.0t is my first turbo car and I find it very satisfying to push, since it’s very effortless in acceleration and very quiet too.
I think I have reached that maturity age of smooth driving and tamed Mr Hyde in me. =)

Having used the Infiniti manual mode 99% of the time since 2008. For me, I will never go back to driving a real stick shift car. LOL! BTW, I don’t like the Infiniti paddle shifter at all. I find it laggy compared to the normal Manual mode shifter.

Hope you still frequent this forum after you switch to the H badge!

Anyway, good luck !

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

This is so sad :( NJGuy come and visit us sometimes! thanks for all the excellent advises provided on this from from personal experience! Good luck with Honda, I sure u and your family is going to like it.

I believe, once I pay off my ex35, I guess my next one will be either qx60 or will switch to Durango. Durango looks so powerful/killer on the road. Drove it once from a rent-a-car and fell in love with it :D

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

piSSko wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 am
This is so sad :( NJGuy come and visit us sometimes! thanks for all the excellent advises provided on this from from personal experience! Good luck with Honda, I sure u and your family is going to like it.

I believe, once I pay off my ex35, I guess my next one will be either qx60 or will switch to Durango. Durango looks so powerful/killer on the road. Drove it once from a rent-a-car and fell in love with it :D
My brother in law has a loaded Durango in black, definitely a good looking vehicle. It's just huge though, parking is a SOB lol.

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

EX35WinterBeater wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 am
piSSko wrote:

My brother in law has a loaded Durango in black, definitely a good looking vehicle. It's just huge though, parking is a SOB lol.
Sry for the off topic....

What year is his Durango? any problems with it so far? I mean, with every car ppl will have issues to be fixed. In general, is he satisfied with reliability of the car?

NJGuy

piSSko wrote:

Thanks man! Like I said before, I'll pop in here every once in a while.

I can tell that my wife is starting to like the Honda more. While she wouldn't use it on the daily commute, she doesn't mind taking it out once in a while, even though she has to shift the gears herself :shifter: . My son doesn't care much for any of our cars; he'd only be happy with them if they had some type of rear entertainment system :popcorn: . And then there's my daughter. She says she liked the Infiniti better and misses it, and that she doesn't like the Honda. But at the same time, she wants to be the one to be the one to hit the push button start switch, disengage the parking brake, and move the shift lever into gear. So while she won't admit it, I think she 'secretly' likes the car. :orly:

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Thanks for all your help on here... and your regular posts will be missed.

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

Last summer my wife and I were in the EX on a coastal road in Maine. Stopped at a light and on take off the engine suddenly began running roughly and the car would barely accelerate. It was acting like it was in a limp mode but none of the warning lights (engine, temperature, oil) were on. I pulled into a lot and checked under the hood, but couldn't see (or smell) anything of concern. Decided to head back, so restarted and drove off, but it seemed okay. It was like shutting it off for a while reset something. We drove around the coast some more and it was fine. Never happened again. Now my daughter has it at school and has never reported that problem. Of course, now that I bring it up she probably will.

macgiver

mac, hopefully a "Bolus" of some kind of crap got to the fuel rail ,water (the COAST?) , sediment @ filter, whatever - settled out , circled back to tank , evaporated by now ? Can probably figure no bother for the kids , at school by now . :luck: p.s. goodnight NJGuy

thethinkweiz
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey

I'm starting to have very similar issues to what you and your wife were experiencing.

My radiator blew the other week and felt an immediate decrease in power, thinking I wouldn't be able to make it to the parking lot. I did, and after letting the car cool down I drove it to a mechanic just down the road, where he says it needs replaced.

I get the car back and things seem fine, but then I start to notice the issues you are describing, and being on an incline makes things much worse. I also started to notice that my clutch wasn't always engaging in 1st gear or reverse. It would gain in RPMs but there was no translation to power, but then it would catch and slightly chirp the tires, like it was engaging into AWD at 5k. Will be taking it back in to get it looked at tomorrow.

NJGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am
Here's the final chapter in the story of my EX35 ownership.

On my way to dropping of our son at his school and going to work, I get a phone call from my wife. When she started the car to drop off our daughter at school, she reported to me that the engine was running very poorly and it had very little power. The school is at the top of a hill, and they were afraid that they wouldn't even make it. Fortunately they did, but my wife drove straight home after that. She wasn't allowed to work from home that day, so she took a personal day. It was in our best interest for me to take the day off as well and I drove back home to meet her.

When I got there, I took a few minutes to look at the car. I started it, and it was running fine. I drove it around the neighborhood, and nothing seemed amiss. I told this to my wife. While I believed her drop-off story, she couldn't believe mine and had to see it with her own eyes. She drove the car around the neighborhood too, and everything appeared normal. After mulling over our options and some discussion, we decided to make good use of our day off and trade in the EX for something else.

Being the picky person I am there was a specific car I wanted. But the closest dealership with that model was 50 miles away. So the question was, will the EX get there? So we took off in both of our cars, feeling a bit more confident now that the EX seemed to be running fine. I got out of the neighborhood without a problem. I got out of town without a glitch. I got out of the county without a hitch. I hit the highways, and everything was smooth. I got off the highway and back onto local roads, expecting no more drama. Until there was...

I kid you not, I'm literally less than a mile away from the dealer, and then the funny business comes. Wait, what's this shaking I feel from the engine? :mad: What happened to my throttle response and power?? :argh What's this nonsense?!?!? :tantrum: Please car, this isn't the time to be acting like this! So to keep the engine from stalling, I try to stay on the gas as much as possible, even while stopped at the traffic light. I make my way through the local roads, but this is a high volume dealer. Of course, it's located on a major highway. Why wouldn't it be? So I have one more highway merge to make. Nervous, and panicked, I think I prayed, but I things got kind of hazy by then so I cannot remember. :ohno:

But when I got to the highway, it was pretty much bumper to bumper. YESSSS!!! :woot: When in my life would I ever be thankful for encountering heavy NJ style gridlock?? And this wasn't even rush hour, it was already mid-day on a weekday! So after squeezing my way in, I probably only had a quarter mile to get to the dealership. And the car only needed to creep ahead, no matter how rough and jerky it looked. Yes, the engine did protest a bit, but once I made the turn into the side street I knew I had made it and could breathe easy.

Later, I left my wife at the dealership and took our other vehicle to pick up our kids. But I had to bring them back with me to the dealership so I could sign a few more papers. Again, we had already taken off of work that day so we had the time. What I found odd was that although my daughter didn't like riding in the EX, she still wanted to take a picture with the car one last time before it was gone for good. So my wife snapped a photo of her next to it, posing with a sad face. :boohoo:

I'm not sure I could script a more fitting ending to the story than that.

NJGuy

thethinkweiz wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:10 pm
I'm starting to have very similar issues to what you and your wife were experiencing.

My radiator blew the other week and felt an immediate decrease in power, thinking I wouldn't be able to make it to the parking lot. I did, and after letting the car cool down I drove it to a mechanic just down the road, where he says it needs replaced.

I get the car back and things seem fine, but then I start to notice the issues you are describing, and being on an incline makes things much worse. I also started to notice that my clutch wasn't always engaging in 1st gear or reverse. It would gain in RPMs but there was no translation to power, but then it would catch and slightly chirp the tires, like it was engaging into AWD at 5k. Will be taking it back in to get it looked at tomorrow.

I would first check the fluid level in the transmission. I think a transmission low on fluid might be a cause to the symptoms you're describing. The transmission fluid does run through the radiator, and a good amount can get lost during a radiator change. Ask the shop about it when you take the car back there.

thethinkweiz
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey

Spot on! Took it out after this comment and the fluid was low, and a bit dirty.

Took it to a new shop where they topped it off with 1.25 quarter of fluid, and they said it drove much better and I could take it home. Seeing as it was getting dirty and at 90k I went ahead and had them drain and refill. Drives like a dream.

Appreciate your comment NJGuy!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”