Safety Features issue? (Brake issue?)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

So, on Monday (August 19th), I almost T-boned a BMW E39 who pulled out in front of me without any indications. Was literally inches away from totaling this new Rogue. What I realized is that the brakes didn't stop the vehicle quickly (my 2016 Rogue does stop quickly) and the safety tech never flashed BRAKE or never assisted me in braking. The mileage at the incident was 389 miles.

Flash forward to today... I called Nissan USA at lunch time and they took a ton of information from me and they said that they are going to escalate this to higher management. The representative literally asked me "What should Nissan do for you?" and I am like, "Dude, I need Nissan to check this safety tech and brakes since this is a safety issue, as I was literally about to get into a serious accident."

And to go to the dealer we bought it from, its literally not in any of our routes, since the dealer is in Tampa, my school is in Miami, dad's work is in downtown Orlando, and brother's school is near dad's office. Dealer close to home will tell me to go to the dealer that we bought the vehicle from (same dealer that doesn't want to bargain their service prices down or accept other dealer's service coupons).

So far, I am an alert driver, have a clean driving record, been driving for the past 3 years/ ~50k miles, no tickets or any at fault accidents or any points.

My question is: Should I have the brake system checked and all the safety tech updated and checked for any issues?

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Never trust a computer to do what you should be doing in your car. Here is the story of the software guy driving his fancy state of the art Tesla. A semi truck turns left in front of him. His car was on auto pilot and according to one witness he was watching a Harry Potter movie.

Just like in the movies he passed right underneath that semi, unlike in the movies everything from the wiper blades up was removed including his upper torso, and the car kept going, no attempt at stoping.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ident.html

Don’t rely on these fancy computer driver assist devices, while you do so at your own peril you also endanger everyone around you. Between the CVT and these devices I’m not at all interested in owning another Nissan.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

You bet you should look into it.

Since you just said that your 2016 rogue would have activated.

The problem is that there was no indicators for you from the human perspective.

But Nissan such as your 2016 offers the so called emergency braking system.

You should get what you paid for.

Because this safety system should have at least reacted in some way with those radars, cameras or whatever thingy ma jig is in those things.

By all means, get all the updates or servicing.

I actually thought before reading this post that your emergency braking system activated for no reason and you were rear ended.

Read about that alot lately.

Maybe you should get a dashcam to help prove your system don’t work since they might give you the ....can’t replicate bull crap.

Even with video, they will still say it.

Or go to your local news on your side or complain to social media. Does Nissan even have Twitter ?

Good luck! :werd:

macgiver

Caution , use your eyes , brakes - and don't expect ANY goofy system in your car to save you from being a second "casualty" in your family in just a couple of short months to be in an intersection "mishap" , Capeche ?? :tisk: over & OUT :inout:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Entirely possible that the Beemer simply sped into sensor range so fast your car never had time to react. In no way would Nissan guarantee that they will in all cases, that would be essentially a guarantee that you can never have an accident again, and ask Tesla how well that is working.

This exact type of expectation is why 100% self-driving cars will never succeed, the group of people who have unreasonable expectations of the systems will continue to sue when impossible to prevent accidents happen and eventually the OEMS will back off of the idea before it bankrupts them. Ask Airbus how well that computer only landing program worked that they disabled on every airliner equipped with it. After the first few crashed or almost did to where pilot had to take over again.

Anyone who thinks these systems are pure full takeover systems instead of just helper ones needs to pick up a manual and read it again. A possible jolt from a hit when they do not stop the car may well be a helpful teacher there. Consider this OP just taught.

What is much more disturbing here is the number of people willing to wantonly give away their safety to half baked systems that in no way are sophisticated enough to be able to 100% do that yet. Not nearly. It's like they have a death wish. Watching Harry Potter? How witless is that? We'll never miss that gene pool, believe me.

When you give up control, don't be surprised when a result of it is one you do NOT like, what tends to happen on a hostile planet that does not care about you at all.

datechboss101

Sorry for the late response, have been busy with moving into the dorm for the new academic year.

I did a small series of brake tests around the neighborhood where children are in school and traffic is at minimal for local traffic only (only for people that live in the neighborhood). The results I found was astonishing. The brakes show no signs that it working at all, yet it works. And the kicker to this was that it doesn't stop immediately. So imagine me doing 70 mph (that's a standard speed limit on most toll roads and interstates, and some highways in Florida) and slamming on the brakes, yikes!

As most of you all know that we own a 2016 Rogue SL (my daily driver), which DOES NOT HAVE any of this driver assistance bs on it, it stops more quickly. It also makes me be more alert of my surroundings because it doesn't have these nonsense lazy driver disguise technology. (I know these two statements are repetitive, but I am trying to get my point across that our 2016 doesn't have any of this). And I have been an alert driver most of the time since I started driving because my first car didn't even have ABS and cameras, just only front SRS Airbags and seatbelts!

Amc49--- my issue was that this didn't even aide me to put more brakes to slow down the vehicle than the rate I was slowing down. I never rely on these technologies because its always either a miss or hit. I am not even a fan of autonomous vehicles, because humans eventually have to fix the dang things as it will break down over time due to wear and tear. I am more of an old school person than new school, especially when it comes to vehicle technology! It's great we are making technological advancements but at the same time, it's not proven nor dependable and there's not enough data to back up the reliability and durability of these technologies. Also, the BMW didn't floor it until I was like about a foot from hitting it, and it didn't even detect that something was in front of it. Honda's systems can detect it and it will aide to slow down the vehicle.

Casper--- Dude, you read the 2016 info wrong. The 2016 Rogue we own, only has airbags, seat belts, 360 camera, a working braking system (brake pads, brake routers, brake pedal), and an alert driver! And yeah, I could attach a crappy dash camera, but it wouldn't be able to record as it would be full by the time the incident occurred. I typically use a dash camera for the 2016 because I commute a lot in that specific vehicle. I am skeptical about the vehicle going more than 30 miles distance because the systems showed that it won't help aide to avoid or lower the chance and risk of an accident. The reason why I am getting Nissan USA involved is that I can take it to the dealer near my house to get it checked since that dealer gives me a boatload of reasons not to warranty or anything, and the dealership we purchased the new Rogue is in near downtown Tampa, which is 85 miles one way.

Rogue Jarhead--- Well, its not my money that's buying these crappy vehicles time after time again, its my dad's, which I understand why he wants it. But then I ask him all the time, do you have roughly $5k laying around for a CVT rebuild? In which he says he doesn't because he spends that money on my education, (I am thankful for that all the time). Whenever I drive his car or the new Rogue, I make sure every god dang "driver assist" feature is TURNED OFF after this incident occurred, as this incident showed me that these technologies won't even bother to aide you to avoid a front end collision. I am also glad that my 2016 Rogue doesn't have these features at all.

datechboss101

Sorry for the late response, have been busy with moving into the dorm for the new academic year.

I did a small series of brake tests around the neighborhood where children are in school and traffic is at minimal for local traffic only (only for people that live in the neighborhood). The results I found was astonishing. The brakes show no signs that it working at all, yet it works. And the kicker to this was that it doesn't stop immediately. So imagine me doing 70 mph (that's a standard speed limit on most toll roads and interstates, and some highways in Florida) and slamming on the brakes, yikes!

As most of you all know that we own a 2016 Rogue SL (my daily driver), which DOES NOT HAVE any of this driver assistance bs on it, it stops more quickly. It also makes me be more alert of my surroundings because it doesn't have these nonsense lazy driver disguise technology. (I know these two statements are repetitive, but I am trying to get my point across that our 2016 doesn't have any of this). And I have been an alert driver most of the time since I started driving because my first car didn't even have ABS and cameras, just only front SRS Airbags and seatbelts!

Amc49--- my issue was that this didn't even aide me to put more brakes to slow down the vehicle than the rate I was slowing down. I never rely on these technologies because its always either a miss or hit. I am not even a fan of autonomous vehicles, because humans eventually have to fix the dang things as it will break down over time due to wear and tear. I am more of an old school person than new school, especially when it comes to vehicle technology! It's great we are making technological advancements but at the same time, it's not proven nor dependable and there's not enough data to back up the reliability and durability of these technologies. Also, the BMW didn't floor it until I was like about a foot from hitting it, and it didn't even detect that something was in front of it. Honda's systems can detect it and it will aide to slow down the vehicle.

Casper--- Dude, you read the 2016 info wrong. The 2016 Rogue we own, only has airbags, seat belts, 360 camera, a working braking system (brake pads, brake routers, brake pedal), and an alert driver! And yeah, I could attach a crappy dash camera, but it wouldn't be able to record as it would be full by the time the incident occurred. I typically use a dash camera for the 2016 because I commute a lot in that specific vehicle. I am skeptical about the vehicle going more than 30 miles distance because the systems showed that it won't help aide to avoid or lower the chance and risk of an accident. The reason why I am getting Nissan USA involved is that I can take it to the dealer near my house to get it checked since that dealer gives me a boatload of reasons not to warranty or anything, and the dealership we purchased the new Rogue is in near downtown Tampa, which is 85 miles one way.

Rogue Jarhead--- Well, its not my money that's buying these crappy vehicles time after time again, its my dad's, which I understand why he wants it. But then I ask him all the time, do you have roughly $5k laying around for a CVT rebuild? In which he says he doesn't because he spends that money on my education, (I am thankful for that all the time). Whenever I drive his car or the new Rogue, I make sure every god dang "driver assist" feature is TURNED OFF after this incident occurred, as this incident showed me that these technologies won't even bother to aide you to avoid a front end collision. I am also glad that my 2016 Rogue doesn't have these features at all.

macgiver

Thank you for not commenting on my response ,no need though , I try to be simple ,direct and sometimes a little severe at times , good luck . :cool:

datechboss101

Update:
I set an appointment through the Tampa dealer to get this checked out last Saturday, but word got around Dorian was coming to Florida. Well, Dorian was a no show. Now I am taking it in this Saturday to get everything checked out, since from the incident, I cannot trust that vehicle to go any further than 18 miles from the house.

datechboss101

Finally, I was able to take it to the dealer. Not happy with what the SA said. He said this is how the Rogues work, and that the system does not give any indication to alert the driver one bit.

Ironically, I did test these features out while driving to the dealer, intentionally getting close to a semi to see if there is any indication that the vehicle to display BRAKE or anything, but nothing happened. However, when I don't have my hands on the wheel, and after ignoring the warning message of put my hands back on the wheel, the Rogue literally braked in the middle of Interstate 4 (the death highway).

What I see from this is that Nissan's safety feature suite is a huge mess. And its also very loud. I will be addressing this to Nissan, because this is very counterintuitive since its one thing to have the system shut off if the driver isn't paying attention, but its very unsafe for the system to basically not giving a crap if there is any traffic surrounding the vehicle and just slamming on the brakes.

macgiver

Welcome to I - ROBOT !!! :rotflmao ... Just be happy , for now, that the F 'n car doesn't deploy the airbag
if you piss it off . :lolling:

datechboss101

macgiver wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Welcome to I - ROBOT !!! :rotflmao ... Just be happy , for now, that the F 'n car doesn't deploy the airbag
if you piss it off . :lolling:
I will piss it off, bc it already pissed me off :lolling: :lolling:

macgiver

That's good , cause HUMANS must keep control over the BOTS !!!!

Like in "THE TERMINATOR " , Elon Musk warns of this very same catastrophe .

" Know where the shut-off switch is" , make sure one IS built in !! :facepalm:

zukabaker
Car: 2019 Rogue SV AWD

datechboss101 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:35 pm
So, on Monday (August 19th), I almost T-boned a BMW E39 who pulled out in front of me without any indications. Was literally inches away from totaling this new Rogue. What I realized is that the brakes didn't stop the vehicle quickly (my 2016 Rogue does stop quickly) and the safety tech never flashed BRAKE or never assisted me in braking. The mileage at the incident was 389 miles.

Flash forward to today... I called Nissan USA at lunch time and they took a ton of information from me and they said that they are going to escalate this to higher management. The representative literally asked me "What should Nissan do for you?" and I am like, "Dude, I need Nissan to check this safety tech and brakes since this is a safety issue, as I was literally about to get into a serious accident."

And to go to the dealer we bought it from, its literally not in any of our routes, since the dealer is in Tampa, my school is in Miami, dad's work is in downtown Orlando, and brother's school is near dad's office. Dealer close to home will tell me to go to the dealer that we bought the vehicle from (same dealer that doesn't want to bargain their service prices down or accept other dealer's service coupons).

So far, I am an alert driver, have a clean driving record, been driving for the past 3 years/ ~50k miles, no tickets or any at fault accidents or any points.

My question is: Should I have the brake system checked and all the safety tech updated and checked for any issues?
So I have been watching this thread for awhile and I am confused but what you are saying.
You say that a car crossed in front of you at a high rate of speed and you expected the car to stop? This is not what the system is deigned for. It is Forward emergency braking not a cross traffic braking. I also have a 2019 Rogue SV with the premium package and it all works fine. Not looking to start a fight just curious why bashing on the tech so much when the tech is not designed for what happened to you. This is from the Nissan website

Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection monitors your speed and distance between you and the car ahead, and can let you know if you need to slow down. [*]
It can also automatically engage the brakes to help avoid a frontal collision or lessen the severity of an impact. And when it detects a pedestrian in the crosswalk, it can stop you in your tracks.
Nowhere does it state that it will stop the car in all situations.

I am glad that you are an alert driver and that you were able to avoid the accident.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Well he did say the car pulled out in FRONT of him.

And the FEB system should of had relayed that it recognized an object in front of it.

I agree it's mainly emergency braking for frontal collisions,

But if something goes in front of the vehicle either from the side by any chance, or a UFO landing from above, or fall from a cliff or whatever,

I think the system should react whether by indash display or by the automatic braking themselves.

Some type of input given to the driver, that they are inches from a collision with a vehicle.

macgiver

Attention all car-jackers out there : Run up to front quarter of the car you want to steal - CAR WILL STOP- point gun at driver , to GET OUT ,
and have at it !!! ........ NICE :wtf2:

UFO will be a punk :facepalm:

zukabaker

casperfun wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:51 pm

And the FEB system should of had relayed that it recognized an object in front of it.

But if something goes in front of the vehicle either from the side by any chance, or a UFO landing from above, or fall from a cliff or whatever,

I think the system should react whether by indash display or by the automatic braking themselves.

Some type of input given to the driver, that they are inches from a collision with a vehicle.

I get that the car pulled out in FRONT of him but the system is to prevent a rear end collision meaning that it needs to be able to track the vehicle. It is not a 360 degree sweeping radar.
Again I have not had any issues with my car personally and I got it July 2019 and have over 7000 miles of NY driving. How can the system react to something that it did not see?

Also after supposedly going to Nissan there was nothing else posted. Did OP ever go back to Nissan? I would be curious to see what they had to say. I have been a big Nissan fan since 1989 (had a 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX and then a 1993 Nissan NX 2000 and a string of all Nissan since then I currently have 3 Nissan in the driveway now 2017 and 2019 Rogue SV and a 2017 Murano Platinum) I have driven other cars with the femb systems and they all act the same. The all have false positives and people freak out about that but like you said the system is not perfect and driver awareness is the key element to avoiding accidents.

Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

I recently received a mail from Nissan official said my 18 Rouge need a "update" for FEB system, (cannot remember the details, but I can post the mail later when I get home). I would suggest OP to get back dealer to see if you have a "update" as well.

datechboss101

zukabaker wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:19 am
casperfun wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I get that the car pulled out in FRONT of him but the system is to prevent a rear end collision meaning that it needs to be able to track the vehicle. It is not a 360 degree sweeping radar.
Again I have not had any issues with my car personally and I got it July 2019 and have over 7000 miles of NY driving. How can the system react to something that it did not see?

Also after supposedly going to Nissan there was nothing else posted. Did OP ever go back to Nissan? I would be curious to see what they had to say. I have been a big Nissan fan since 1989 (had a 1989 Nissan Pulsar NX and then a 1993 Nissan NX 2000 and a string of all Nissan since then I currently have 3 Nissan in the driveway now 2017 and 2019 Rogue SV and a 2017 Murano Platinum) I have driven other cars with the femb systems and they all act the same. The all have false positives and people freak out about that but like you said the system is not perfect and driver awareness is the key element to avoiding accidents.
Dude, think about it. I am pleasantly driving to my destination and out of nowhere this car comes out in front of and my reaction time took a bit long. The breaks didn't quickly help the vehicle decelerate at all, and the dang sensor didn't step in to aid me to bring the vehicle to a slow speed. Also, if you had not noticed my CAR portion of my profile, I have (had) 3 Nissans too, but only own two (as also stated in my CAR profile).

Also, Nissan was rude to me even when I almost got into a front end collision by a stubborn lunatic who didn't look at the road and made an abrupt left turn. I am not even sure if Nissan will even care if I actually got into a serious collision. And I haven't even told Nissan about our Kicks SR collision.

I am really happy with my 2016 Rogue SL, as it literally doesn't have these crappy driver assistance. And another thing on top to add, is that it actually stops completely from a high rate of speed when I press the brakes, which the 2019 takes ages to stop.
Leo1818 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:26 am
I recently received a mail from Nissan official said my 18 Rouge need a "update" for FEB system, (cannot remember the details, but I can post the mail later when I get home). I would suggest OP to get back dealer to see if you have a "update" as well.
I did check the myCarFax and NissanUSA owners portal for a recall so I can take this in, but its not listed for my 2019. Also, I had the dealer check for updates when I initially took the 2019 in with this issue.

zukabaker

I understand what you are saying and I tend to disagree with you as I have 3 Nissan's currently in the family and the 2019 is by far the best of the bunch. I also drive a 2017 Rogue and it does not brake anywhere near as fast or as steady as the 2019 Rogue. Again I am not picking a fight here just trying to understand the situation. My 2019 Rogue (got it July 2019 and have over 7100 miles on it) The FEB will come on when I am in traffic and the car feels that I am approaching to closely. In fact it saved me today. I agree that the system is kind of loud at times but that is the sensors and servos doing their job.

You keep saying that the system does not work because somebody made an abrupt left turn in front of you yet again that is not how the system is designed to work. It is a Forward Emergency Braking system (it can only track vehicles in front of it not when the appear out of nowhere.

As far as the braking distance what did Nissan have to say about that issue? I feel that the 2019 that I have breaks extremely quickly and efficiently much better than my 2017 Rogue. Again this is my opinion and each person's experience may be different.

I am curious what you expected Nissan to do with the car? Replace it, buy it back, I am just confused. Did you not test drive the car before purchasing it and notice the faults that you feel the car has?

datechboss101

zukabaker wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am
I understand what you are saying and I tend to disagree with you as I have 3 Nissan's currently in the family and the 2019 is by far the best of the bunch. I also drive a 2017 Rogue and it does not brake anywhere near as fast or as steady as the 2019 Rogue. Again I am not picking a fight here just trying to understand the situation. My 2019 Rogue (got it July 2019 and have over 7100 miles on it) The FEB will come on when I am in traffic and the car feels that I am approaching to closely. In fact it saved me today. I agree that the system is kind of loud at times but that is the sensors and servos doing their job.

You keep saying that the system does not work because somebody made an abrupt left turn in front of you yet again that is not how the system is designed to work. It is a Forward Emergency Braking system (it can only track vehicles in front of it not when the appear out of nowhere.

As far as the braking distance what did Nissan have to say about that issue? I feel that the 2019 that I have breaks extremely quickly and efficiently much better than my 2017 Rogue. Again this is my opinion and each person's experience may be different.

I am curious what you expected Nissan to do with the car? Replace it, buy it back, I am just confused. Did you not test drive the car before purchasing it and notice the faults that you feel the car has?
Ima break this down to broken English for you to understand.

1) That FEB doesn't work even when I INTENTIONALLY went <10 inches behind a freaking Semi when the semi was stopped. Granted, that was to test if the stupid system even worked, and sure enough it didn't. And this was way before the break in period was over, as our 2019 has roughly 2400 miles currently.

2) When the (INSERT EXPLICIT WORDs HERE) made that abrupt left turn, the Rogue took way longer to stop (note that my 2016 will give signs that it is stopping in some form of sound or vibration and stops at a shorter distance from highway speeds) on a dry pavement in 100 F degree temperatures. A little help in aide from the FEB would have been helpful.

3) I expected Nissan to check the braking system, and do some type of service (i.e.: Flush the brake fluids, change brake pads, update the FEB software, etc).

4) FEB on other brands actually detects other vehicles that come out of nowhere and they help aide to slow the vehicle down.

5) When I compared the 2019 Rogue SV to my 2016 Rogue SL and our former 2018 Kicks SR, both the 2016 and 2018 stopped at a shorter distance from highway speeds to a rest, whereas the 2019 took longer, and the 2019 isn't heavy at all, so this was a huge concern for me, since a light SUV took a longer distance to stop on dry pavement with no aide coming from the FEB.

6) That guy was literally in front of me when I was inches (maybe centimeters) away from T-boning them (FEB still didn't react to that).

zukabaker

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am
zukabaker wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:07 am

Ima break this down to broken English for you to understand.

1) That FEB doesn't work even when I INTENTIONALLY went <10 inches behind a freaking Semi when the semi was stopped. Granted, that was to test if the stupid system even worked, and sure enough it didn't. And this was way before the break in period was over, as our 2019 has roughly 2400 miles currently. So to confirm in BROKEN ENGLISH you tried to engage the FEB in a non emergency situation and are upset that it did not work?
[/color]
2) When the (INSERT EXPLICIT WORDs HERE) made that abrupt left turn, the Rogue took way longer to stop (note that my 2016 will give signs that it is stopping in some form of sound or vibration and stops at a shorter distance from highway speeds) on a dry pavement in 100 F degree temperatures. A little help in aide from the FEB would have been helpful. So you claim that the 2016 makes loud noises but are unhappy that the 2019 makes loud noises when engaging the FEB?? Again you are asking the system to do something that it is not designed to do, I do not get why you keep saying that somebody ran in front of you or made an abrupt turn and expect the system to react to something it is NOT DESIGNED TO DO!

3) I expected Nissan to check the braking system, and do some type of service (i.e.: Flush the brake fluids, change brake pads, update the FEB software, etc). So Nissan did nothing and you are upset that the vehicle is performing within the specs that it is designed to do and the company did not want to pacify you?

4) FEB on other brands actually detects other vehicles that come out of nowhere and they help aide to slow the vehicle down.What brand is able to detect a car that is coming in an opposite direction from the one your vehicle is heading in. I guess this makes sense in your head because a Ferrari can go over 200 miles so the Rogue should do the same?

5) When I compared the 2019 Rogue SV to my 2016 Rogue SL and our former 2018 Kicks SR, both the 2016 and 2018 stopped at a shorter distance from highway speeds to a rest, whereas the 2019 took longer, and the 2019 isn't heavy at all, so this was a huge concern for me, since a light SUV took a longer distance to stop on dry pavement with no aide coming from the FEB. So you did not like the way the car performed and still purchased the car?

6) That guy was literally in front of me when I was inches (maybe centimeters) away from T-boning them (FEB still didn't react to that). IN BROKEN ENGLISH FEB is not designed to detect a vehicle crossing in front of you.

Return to “Rogue Forum”