SR- SAFC tuning using stock O2 voltage

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
b0rdin4life
Car: 95 240sx

I was talking to a buddy of mine with a DSM about fine tuning my car with an SAFC and I said that I didn't have a wideband so I had to wait til I got it on the dyno and he sent me a link to roadraceengineering that says how to wire (atleast for DSMs) your stock O2 sensor to an SAFC to read the voltage. I was wondering if anyone has tried this to get a basic tune until they could get on a dyno. Here is what the site said...

""Blue Wire Mod"Huh ? Blue wire mod? This allows you to read Oxygen Sensor Voltage on the AFC display. On the wire harness for the AFC there are three wires that normally not used on a Eclipse. These are White, Yellow and Blue. The Blue wire is meant for the second Air Flow Meter on a Nissan 300ZX. You will connect this wire to the O2 sensor wire right at the ECU. See the Zeitroinix install instructions for info on where to get the O2 sensor signal.

To read the O2 sensor voltage, scroll down to and select the "etc." menu. Select the "Sensor Check". Of the three readings, O2 voltage will be the middle one (#2)"

By the way, I have an Enthalpy ECU and would be using the SAFC to fine tune the car. Any input or experiences would be great. Thanks.

b0rdin4life

anyone ever heard of or tried this?

twofourzeroSX
Car: 91 sileighty

narrowband o2 sensors are essentially an on off switch...it simply tells the stock ecu if its running rich or lean, and is not that accurate. i think this would help u just about as much as my autometer afr gauge.... AKA POINTLESS....

here is a narrowband graph next to a wideband graph...EDIT..sorry i found this quick and im way too lazy to resize it on my computer...

b0rdin4life

OK thanks, anyone else?

b0rdin4life

anyone?

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

you've already got your explaintion. ie bad news ala stock o2 sensor. btw the reading you'd get off the o2 sensor using the afc is also inaccurate. you get loss in the signal effectively screwing you in the cornhole.

skillzilla

PLus I discount that write up on principle as it says a 300ZX has 2 MAF sensors. It seems like it will show a reading for soemhting, but youll never know how accurate it is until A) Your engine blows (youll know it was reading too low) or B) You dyno tune it and make 30 more HP (youll know it was reading too high).

Basically, both scenerios lead to dyno tuning as a better option.

b0rdin4life

Alright I assumed that would be everyone's view on the topic but just wanted to ask. Thanks guys.

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

b0rdin4life wrote:Alright I assumed that would be everyone's view on the topic but just wanted to ask. Thanks guys.
its not a "view." its a fact.

Return to “Engine Tuning”