SR - SAFC tuning questions, lean spike...

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
Jesse SR20
Car: 1990 S13 fastback

I've been doing some fine tuning of my lo throttle points the last couple days. Here are some basics about my settings.

Lo throttle point is set to 20%Hi throttle point is set to 35%

Under lo throttle conditions, I'm running an a/f ratio of ~ 14.5-14.7:1 from 1k rpm to about 3500 rpm. From 3500 to 6500 rpm I'm running a a/f ratio of ~ 13-13.5:1. Do you think this is acceptalbe ? Should I lean it out more and run a 14.7:1 across the board ?

And then theres the lean spike problem. While data logging when driving in and just above lo throttle conditions, I get a lean spike after every shift, under throttle (it's not when the throttle is closed, I know that's normal). The a/f will jump to about 15.5:1 just for a split second.(I haven't had a chance to check if the spike occurs under hi throtle conditions)

Is this normal, or something that should be corrected with different settings? It doesn't seem to be rpm related, I purposly shifted at different rpm points.

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

What boost readings do you have? I think tuning rich or lean depends more on your boost than rpm. Most people shoot for 14-15 under vaccum, about 13 at 0, and 11-12 under full boost.

Jesse SR20

Oops. I forgot to mention anything about boost level.

Yeah, during my lo throttle runs I was staying in vaccum aswell as under 20% throttle.

I guess setting your lo and hi throttle points really depends on where in the throttle your turbo makes boost, isn't it ?

What concerns me is how jumpy the a/f curve gets when shifting. As soon as I shift and hit the accelerator, it will dip into the 11's, jump back up to 15's, then fall into spec. It all happens very quickly, so it may just be normal.

My bov is recirc'd, but could it be due to improper adjustment. ie: too tight or loose.

Jesse SR20

Did some more tuning tonight. Tried adjusting my bov, but it had no affect on the spike.

I did alot of runs with the throttle between 20 and 30%. This is where the safc is supposed to interpolate the values between lo and hi, but I didn't like the a/f I saw at all. At that much throttle, I was seeing either 0 vaccum, or a few psi of boost, but a/f values ~ 14.2-14.5 from 2k rpm to 4k rpm.

I tried adjusting the fuel correction values on both lo and hi in that rpm range to try to lower the a/f. It helped a bit, but that seems like the wrong way to do it. I would think that changing the lo and hi throttle points would be the right way. Try to narrow the range for the safc to interpolate.

What do you guys think ? I need some input from some tuning guys. I'm begining to see the vast limitations of the safc.

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

It doesn't sound like you are too far off. You said your afr is about 14-14.5 at 0 vacuum. Most people say it should be around 13.5 so if you wanna get really picky, just add a little fuel. I just recirced my bov too and mine does the same thing as yours. It'll spike to 11 for split second then level out.

Return to “Engine Tuning”