S14 Won't Start

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
s14Geoff

Hey guys having issues getting my car started seeing if anyone has any ideas as to what it is.
Recently completed my 5 speed swap, its an s13 KA24DE but I'm using the original s14 harness and ecu and just swapped distributors and TPS
I also did a Fusebox Relocation but I'm fairly certain i did everything correct as i did one wire at a time and my headlights, hazards, brake lights, blinkers, and dash lights all work. The car essentially cranks over and over but won't start. I've made sure the timing is TDC on the compression stroke and made sure the distributor is on cylinder #1 at TDC. I know im getting fuel because when i pulled the #1 cylinder plug to check for compression stroke the spark plug smelled like gas and i can smell gas when i try to start the car. Not sure about spark i guess that might be the next step. Would I do this by pulling a plug, plugging it into the wire and watching it as i try to start the car?

I also have a few plugs left over that I'm pretty sure are unnecessary because they are for automatic and i couldn't find any plugs for them. They come out of the harness closer to the ECU than the Wiper Motor plug.
**edit** found out what those plugs are. Pretty sure they are ABS which i deleted also so are unused. I found a plug on cylinder #4 injector that goes down to what seems like an emissions thing doubt that would cause this. My emissions is also deleted (not my choice was deleted and parts thrown away when i got the motor)

I did make sure to reconnect the plug by the fusebox with two red/blue wires.

The last thing im unsure about is the car is a 95 so it should be OBD1 but when i googled the ECU number it came up with an OBD2 ECU. Could this be my problem? I have an s13 ECU but im pretty sure the pinout is different and wouldn't work with the harness I have? Any advice is appreciated as I'm all out of ideas. Thanks guys.

**edit** remembered there was an OBD1 ecu in the trunk, unsure if it is working or not but i tried it out, same result.

s14Geoff

How would I use a multi meter to check if the distributor is getting power? Put a multimeter prong on one of the metal clips in the plug and the other prong to the cars chassis? Not too sure how to use a multimeter :facepalm:

s14Geoff

**edit** Ok so i pulled a plug and checked for spark... I have spark! When i put to key to the on position i dont hear the fuel pump, but i do smell gas. Would you be able to hear the stock fuel pump prime? The fuel pump worked when the car was auto don't think it went out. Maybe I missed it in wiring? Could something else cause the car not to start if i have fuel and spark?? Thanks guys

***edit I am the worlds biggest idiot... pulled a fuel line off to see if i had em backwards and no fuel came out so i knew the fuel pump wasnt working. Went back to check on the fuel pump and IT WASN"T PLUGGED IN :rotfl plugged it in started right up lol. Won't hold an idle but im sure a little searching and ill find my answer to that. Goes to show that you should go through everything before posting. Mods can delete this if you want.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”