s14 rb20det starting issues

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Jnazario
Car: 96 s14 rb20

Hello all,

I have a 95 s14 with an rb20det swap. Bought the project off of someone for fairly cheap and have been going through the car trying to get it to start and have had very little sucess. I've gone through fuel lines and made sure they were installed correctly on the fuel rail, I've replaced the ignitor and the ecu of the car. After I replaced those two things, I got the car to turn on, but wouldn't stay on unless I gave it gas. Now it won't even start, It turns over backfires and feels like it wants to start but nothing. I have also tried turning the car on with the MAF unplugged, same result. Someone had suggested looking at idle air but it seems to be deleted since the vacuum is capped off. Any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

ca18det_boy

Is it backfiring from the intake or exhaust? If your idle air motor is removed the car will still run, but it will be hard to run/start cold.

Jam-Dodge
Car: Nissan skyline R33 RB25det *Forged*

firstly you gotta do the simple things like, compression test, vacuum test etc then check for an air restriction of somesort check all you intercooler piping etc & realign the crank sensor ]

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Sounds like the cam timing might be off a tooth. I would yank the front cover and pulley and check to make sure the cam timing is right. And while your in it change the water pump, idler, tensioner, and timing belt. That's if you care to keep it running long enough. You can also pull the CAS off and take a coil pack out and leave the spark plug in it. Then spin the CAS with the KEY on and you should hear the injectors click and see the coil fire.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”