s14 Battery Tray Removal

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Im not sure if the battery tray in a s13 is the same or not, but im sure its similar, this should still work for you guys with older model 240's.

I finished up my intercooler piping today, and instead of drilling through that rusted out ugly @$$ battery tray, i decided to take it out. The main thing holding it in is a series of spot welds. They are hard to see, but i found them all and drilled through them so i could pry the battery tray off. Anywho, heres the goods.

If you want to do this, you will need the following : Hammer Drill with a 5/8ths ish drill bit Pry bar It would also help to have a cutting disk, even a dremel can do the little amount of cutting necessary.

You will need to take off the passenger side fender and pop out this little plastic piece so you can get a good prying angle on the battery tray. If you look where the battery tray is you will see what im talking about, its a white, translucent circular piece of plastic that has the sidemarker lighting wire running through it. You can see it in the last pic, where the pry bar is sticking in/out of.

First you have to take out the washer fluid reservoir. I think its 4 bolts and you have to cut a little tab thats visible if your looking down at your battery tray itself. Its circled in green in the picture below.

Next, you need to cut the tab that connects the tray to the wheel well. Its not a great pic of it, but the tab is circled in yellow. You could drill out the spot weld there, but i didnt want to drill into the fender well, because that would be really noticeable. Instead, i sanded the remaining piece down so its flush with the wheel well.

Now, take your drill and start drilling out the spot welds. You will have to go all the way through the battery tray and the engine bay to do this. I have circled every spot weld in red. There are a few more near the area where the condenser would be, but those, plus some glue that the factory puts in there. I was able just to bend it repeatedly and break those welds with the other welds already drilled out and the tray loose.

After you drill all the welds out, you will need to take your pry bar and start hammering it into each spot weld, to break the remaining metal. The reason you want to use a pry bar over a chisel is a chisel will want to go strait through the car, while a pry bar with the blade facing up will not.

If you have any other questions on how this is done, just ask me and ill fill in the blanks. After all of this i planned on welding sheet metal to the bottom of the tray area and bondoin the holes up. Then im going to prime that area and paint it back to pearl white.

s13grady
Car: 92 s13 ka24det

i am about to remove my battery tray.this came in helpful.thank you.

slikklogic
Car: 99 honda civic 1.8T!
95 240sx base/se

Exactlly what I needed thanx

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”