S14 and S13 as road course cars

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
91rs13
Car: Nismo 350Z
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

drews240 wrote:Hello all,I run a slighly modified 90 s13 with a bore out and ported ka24e as a strict track car
Nice looking car Drew. Do you ever run up at Mt Tremblant? I have not been back there since they repaved it --but loved that track.

I mentioned up above I would give my impression after going back to the Glen. --Wow --I am really impressed by my car. Quick ( 3000-6500 RPM great power band), although I was out with cars that were not well driven, so I am not sure where I stacked up. ( buried the speedo on the straight and was still pulling) --Very happy with the handling, although I had a small shimmy, which ended up being a loose sway bar bracket ( add another item to the checklist) .--My major concern was brakes --I ran street pads--and expected them to wear out, but they gripped terribly. I run 15 inch wheels for acceleration during AutoX, so a big brake upgrade is not possible at this time. Who is running what type of pad with the stock calipers? Friends ( non 240 owners) are suggesting Hawk Blues or HPS --and I have had good luck with porterfields in the past on other cars --any comments welcome.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

im considering ferodo 2500s along with HPS's...

drews240
Car: 240sxGT racer, 300zx NA custom, 2000 frontier,76 Corvette Stingray, 2004 MAzdz 3 GT.

Hello,

Thanks, no I have not had the pleasure with this car but I did open wheel on that track, it is the best around here.

Good luck

Drew

steve1077

These cars handle beautifully on the track. Get some OTS koni yellows front and rear and some good spring rates going. Maybe 350F/225R. Don't know how that would be for the street though. We run 450F/275R on the race car and run the large suspension techniques sway bars. Get camber plates! A must. If you can change it for the track, put it to at least 2.5degrees in the front. Put the rear at around 1.5degrees. A little toe out in the front and zero toe in the rear. Stock brakes are fine, get some SS lines, good fluid and hawk blues. We have never had brake fade on these cars, even during 3 hour enduros at Watkins Glen.

These cars handle so well from the factory. As long as you put in enough camber into the front, the mac strut works fine. The rear multi-link is awesome. I must say the stock KA24E motor isn't too bad. Nice torque and a decent power band. It's pretty easy to put 140hp to the wheels with just exhaust, header and intake. We remove the butterflies, it helps open up the intake manifold for the higher rpms. If you can put on the 300ZX MAF and a good intake that will make a big difference. A lot of power is to be had in the exhaust. Go with at least 2.5" and go with the S&S header if you can. Ground clearance sucks but it's a great header. The hotshot isn't as good.

Don't look to the motor to go faster. With the right suspension and some bolt-ons, it will be a while before your skill surpasses the car. We run a lot of HPDE's too, and are typically the fastest cars in the advanced/instructor group because they handle and brake so well that we carry a lot more speed into and out of the corners.

Hope that helps.

steveNER SCCAITA S13 240SX

nismofly

what kind of tires do you run in ITA? hoosiers right?

drews240
Car: 240sxGT racer, 300zx NA custom, 2000 frontier,76 Corvette Stingray, 2004 MAzdz 3 GT.

Thanks for the info,

Running kA24E ported polished head and intake, shaved 15,000's off the head, nismo forged piston kit, 300zx MAF,whitline springs,susp tech big sway bars, tein upper camber plates,jic and cusco adjustable arms everywhere, tokico shocks, nissan q45 front calipers stock rear with KVR rotors.

Who makes aftermarket intakes?

looking at building a KA24DE as the A block, what do you think?

ThanksDrew

steve1077

nismofly wrote:what kind of tires do you run in ITA? hoosiers right?
if you wanna win you've gotta.

steve

steve1077

drews240 wrote:Thanks for the info,

Running kA24E ported polished head and intake, shaved 15,000's off the head, nismo forged piston kit, 300zx MAF,whitline springs,susp tech big sway bars, tein upper camber plates,jic and cusco adjustable arms everywhere, tokico shocks, nissan q45 front calipers stock rear with KVR rotors.

Who makes aftermarket intakes?
like I said. Don't ignore the exhaust. The header and exhaust setup is where the power is. Injen makes an aftermarket intake for the 12V SOHC motors I believe.
drews240 wrote:Thanks for the info,

looking at building a KA24DE as the A block, what do you think?
Not sure what you mean here. A block?

steve

drews240

That means the KA24DE will be the primary and the KA24E will become the back up.

We run a lot of HPDE's, what does this mean?You are running DE's in series races?

In Quebec I will be in GTU and Touring.

ThanksDrew

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

HPDE is High Performance Driver Education... basically a performance-oriented driving class...

-Dan

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

nismofly wrote:make sure youre running at least falken azenzis when you go, pretty much any other tire youre going to have big problems with
FALSE

nismofly

like how? when i say "at least" i mean you could run something higher up, or in the same class

i need different tires for when i go to the track, my avons wore through the outside 2 tread blocks in 1 day

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

The point is you dont need that extreme of a tire. You can run "at least" stock tires.

sr20goofus

ANY tire can be used.....but for some traction at speed the falkens are a good choice, but so are Yoko ES100's or many other decentr street tires. There is no minimum, just bring a car and have a blast, ive seen trucks out there before in group 1, its funny, but they are learning like everyone else. Higher performance tires shoud lonly be used if your ready for them....im just now upgrading to Toyo RA1's and im onto my 6th HPDE.......

91rs13
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

sr20goofus wrote:Higher performance tires shoud lonly be used if your ready for them....im just now upgrading to Toyo RA1's and im onto my 6th HPDE.......
Well put.

We believe for our schools/ HPDE's that it is better to start on "street" tires rather than "R" tires. The car moves around more and you will learn a bit more.

91rs13
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

steve1077 wrote:These cars handle beautifully on the track. Get some OTS koni yellows front and rear and some good spring rates going. Maybe 350F/225R. Don't know how that would be for the street though. We run 450F/275R on the race car and run the large suspension techniques sway bars. Get camber plates!
Hey Steve,

Do you run the same spring rates at all tracks? If not--what rates for what tracks?

Also--are you using camber plates in the rear--or do you adjust for camber with bolts/ RUCA's

thx

nismofly

sr20goofus wrote:ANY tire can be used.....but for some traction at speed the falkens are a good choice, but so are Yoko ES100's or many other decentr street tires. There is no minimum, just bring a car and have a blast, ive seen trucks out there before in group 1, its funny, but they are learning like everyone else. Higher performance tires shoud lonly be used if your ready for them....im just now upgrading to Toyo RA1's and im onto my 6th HPDE.......
i agree that you shouldnt run an r-comp at the start, NASA even recommends that you start on a street tire

at the same time the point i was trying to get at is that you need a tire that can handle the stuff that you do at hpde's...i consider the es100 in the same class as the falkens, i know the falkens are a lot grippier and close to if not at the top of the class, whereas the es100 are like an average tire for the class, but still the same principle

imo its a saftey issue if youre running m+s tires or something not made to hold up to the abuse of the track...sure people bring trucks and stuff but how many people do you know in an S or Z chassis or something like that that want to run the same speeds as an f150 or something? you may run at 70 or 80%, but thats still a lot more

of course trucks like the lightning and ram srt-10 are different, but they also come with tires made for the job

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

the shock/spring combo does not locate the wheel in the rear. you cannot adjust any alignment setting with that in the rear.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nismofly wrote:i need different tires for when i go to the track, my avons wore through the outside 2 tread blocks in 1 day
That could be caused by several different things, not the brand of tire.For example, if you use the curbing at certain tracks, you'll destroy the outer part of the tire quickly.

I run ordinary street tires at HPDE's as I drive my car to them plus my car doesn't have space for a second set tires and luggage. If I trailered the car, I'd probably go with R compound.

nismofly

yeah i guess i did curb a lot

plus my front end alignment sucked at the point, that probably helped

sworxx
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX S14

I race a fairly stock S14. I've tracked it for about 2 years, started racing last year. Now they can race against the SER's but frankly they are much faster and handle better then me, or at least it could be my skill level. This car is really a good starter car since it is pretty neutral and can easily be saved when you get in to trouble. I actually share the car with my wife who drives it in HPDE's when I'm not in a race. It is fairly reliable, but annoying problems often arise. DOUBLE BOLT AND THREAD LOCK THE ALTERNATOR. I had one fall out and a friend who races an S13 lost his too. There are also fuel starvation problems while aggressivley cornering. (I need to address this as it has gotten worse) It is surprisingly good in the wet. I have beaten plenty of faster FWD cars in the rain and other cars I never should have beaten in any conditions. Could be skills, but I give the car credit. I have Koni's, Ground Control Coilover Perches, Whiteline anti sways and NISMO Motor mounts. Most everything else is stock. I run Toyo Proxes RA1 or Kumho Victoracer Tires. I really love it, yeah I wish it were faster, but budgetary reasons keep me from upgrading a whole lot. Racing is EXPENSIVE, even on a shoe string. Tires and brakes alone add up fast! Good luck, have fun. Get that car on a track!! Check out http://www.nasaproracing.com and pick your region!!

drews240

Hey,

Yup we raced the KA24e modified last summer, we have since embarked on a new install of a VQ30DEK with a 350Z lower and 6 speed tranny for the 2006 GT3 and touring series. The car was already fully race set up but we are starting over with a new cage no glass and new suspension.

Why the VQ? well it weighs less it is 233HP stock it is under 3 litres and easy to get to the 300HP cap.New cage will be rally style. we are opting for a computer controlled coil over suspension and staying with the current Q45 brake set up on the 4 bolt hubs.

Check out the progress at http://www.anothershade.com/2006.htm

Drew

sr20goofus

sworxx wrote:I race a fairly stock S14. I've tracked it for about 2 years, started racing last year. Now they can race against the SER's but frankly they are much faster and handle better then me, or at least it could be my skill level. This car is really a good starter car since it is pretty neutral and can easily be saved when you get in to trouble. I actually share the car with my wife who drives it in HPDE's when I'm not in a race. It is fairly reliable, but annoying problems often arise. DOUBLE BOLT AND THREAD LOCK THE ALTERNATOR. I had one fall out and a friend who races an S13 lost his too. There are also fuel starvation problems while aggressivley cornering. (I need to address this as it has gotten worse) It is surprisingly good in the wet. I have beaten plenty of faster FWD cars in the rain and other cars I never should have beaten in any conditions. Could be skills, but I give the car credit. I have Koni's, Ground Control Coilover Perches, Whiteline anti sways and NISMO Motor mounts. Most everything else is stock. I run Toyo Proxes RA1 or Kumho Victoracer Tires. I really love it, yeah I wish it were faster, but budgetary reasons keep me from upgrading a whole lot. Racing is EXPENSIVE, even on a shoe string. Tires and brakes alone add up fast! Good luck, have fun. Get that car on a track!! Check out
Hey i was there at VIR last february, i was the kid buggin you about your cage setup and such for a lil while on that saturday i think it was . Good track shot by the way.

drews240

What is VIR? What track? Where?

Drew

nismofly

virginia international raceway, southern virginia down near the NC border i think

i think he was talking to the one above you though, with the white s14

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”