S13 Gauge lighting wires, which should i use???

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
mexicanS13
Car: 91 240sx COUPE

My car never came with a radio but the original wring with the original plugs are still there. I know that theres some that come from the Gauge and due to not having the stock radio my cluster only turns on when it feel like it lol.
I wanted to know which color cables should i use to power an after market stereo and which are coming from the cluster and what should i do to those cables so it will turn on?
or is it that the light control timer(white box) is bad?

THANKS!!! :gapteeth:

shiro_neko

the wires red w/ blue stripe and red w/ yellow stripe are for illumination. the green w/ red stripe which is connected to your 15a illum fuse powers the red w/ blue stripe wire when the lighting switch is in the 1st and 2nd position. also check your illumination control switch

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:the wires red w/ blue stripe and red w/ yellow stripe are for illumination. the green w/ red stripe which is connected to your 15a illum fuse powers the red w/ blue stripe wire when the lighting switch is in the 1st and 2nd position. also check your illumination control switch
THANKS ALOT shiro_neko!!!!!! that helped alot, i checked the white box.. looks fine but ill get another one and check if theres any difference, but thanks alot though big help!!! but how should i wire them after installing an aftermarket stereo? i dont know about wiring so i dont want to do it wrong lol

mexicanS13

LOL so theres a NNNNEEEWWWW problem!!!! today after work when i turned on the car i noticed that the digital speedometer accuatly works!!!!!!!! so i started driving fast on the freeway because i was amused!!!! :banana: <---just like that... the guy who sold it to me say it was due to a bad ground so that would explain the reason the light from the cluster only turning on when it feels like it.. and one who had this prob please let me know how you fixed it? and i still need to know how to wire the cables that run from the cluster to the bezel because i just installed a new stereo

THANKS!!! :gapteeth:

mexicanS13

any one??????? with this problem????????? it sucks driving at night because the cluster dont light up, well it does only when it wants too same goes for the digital speedometer only works when it wants

shiro_neko

the red with yellow stripe is your ground. check that wire

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:the red with yellow stripe is your ground. check that wire
should this cable be connected to some other cable?

shiro_neko

this wire is connected to all your components that has illumination (gauges, dash switches, glove box etc..) most of them are illuminated by the red/blue(+) and red/yellow(-) except for the ashtray which the negative is connected directly to ground. do you have lights in the ashtray? you should check your illumination control switch too (the switch that dims your gauge lights) you should probe this connections by a voltmeter or 12v light probe to check if current passes through

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:this wire is connected to all your components that has illumination (gauges, dash switches, glove box etc..) most of them are illuminated by the red/blue(+) and red/yellow(-) except for the ashtray which the negative is connected directly to ground. do you have lights in the ashtray? you should check your illumination control switch too (the switch that dims your gauge lights) you should probe this connections by a voltmeter or 12v light probe to check if current passes through
i have not light on the ashtray doe to the onwer before pulling it out, ive found the cables your talking about on the center console and will be cxhecking the voltage on the dim switch right now. Im wondering if i should connect the Red/ blue and Red/ yellow the to anything? thanks for the help though really appreciate it

shiro_neko

dont mention it, its a learning process for me too.

You only have to connect it to what needs to be illuminated but the connection should still be continuous even if one of these switches are not connected. for example, I can remove the headlight retract switch and still my other switches will light up. you have to find where the connection is broken by probing each switches and harness that uses the red/blue and red/yellow wires

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:dont mention it, its a learning process for me too.

You only have to connect it to what needs to be illuminated but the connection should still be continuous even if one of these switches are not connected. for example, I can remove the headlight retract switch and still my other switches will light up. you have to find where the connection is broken by probing each switches and harness that uses the red/blue and red/yellow wires
Thanks, i checked the dim light switch, and all the illumination wires that are behind the stereo and all have power either the key is in or not and when the light switch is on 1st or 2nd thingy. the climate control lights up and also the clock, but as soon as i turn the switch it doesnt light up anymore

shiro_neko

in what position does it stop illuminating "ACC"? or all? and check which wire is losing current when you turn the switch

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:in what position does it stop illuminating "ACC"? or all? and check which wire is losing current when you turn the switch
sorry, i ment the interior/exterior light switch. if the switch if on off the clock stays light up, but as soon as i turn it the light turns off. All the red/blue cables stay on and the red. yellow turn on only when i turn the swith for the lights. but at night the only thing that lights up is the climate control unit everything else is dark. i might have to pull the cluster out and check the cables if they are even getting power, but cant it be that it has a bad ground? im sorry if this dont make sence

shiro_neko

yes you should do that. you have to trace where the current stops. you should start at the climate control because its the only one thats getting illumination. bad ground is a possibility. check this grounds M57, M116, M101, M125

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:yes you should do that. you have to trace where the current stops. you should start at the climate control because its the only one thats getting illumination. bad ground is a possibility. check this grounds M57, M116, M101, M125
THANKS!!!! ill be doing that tomorrow morning i just spent the whole day sanding my whole front end and rattle canning it flat black lol my low low low budget build. i would do it right now but i inhaled a lot of the dust and my whole respatory system in pain lol

mexicanS13

[quote="shiro_neko"]yes you should do that. you have to trace where the current stops. you should start at the climate control because its the only one thats getting illumination. bad ground is a possibility. check this grounds M57, M116, M101, M125
quote]

So today was raining all morning but it cleared up, i checked every ground you asked M57, M116, M101, and M125. while i checked them i unpluged the conection for the seat belt motor and noticed that theres no power going to it lol, i was like :facepalm: f***!!! another problem.. well i also traced the as much as i could to see where the power cut off but found nothing. Im starting to think its that little F* white box next to the fuse box or on top of where the cluster is. I didnt have time to take the cluster out today but will soon because i have to replace the capasitor for the digital speedometer. I dont know where else to look besides that

shiro_neko

Im really busy with work this week and I'll try get back at you when I have time. the time control unit (white box) does cause your illumination to malfunction if its defective. so for the meantime you can try replacing that part

shiro_neko

when you say the climate control lights up you mean the green lights in the buttons not the illustration and temp bars. check the g/r wire connected to your lighting switch harness if its getting power. then turn the light switch and see if the r/l wire is getting power

mexicanS13

shiro_neko wrote:when you say the climate control lights up you mean the green lights in the buttons not the illustration and temp bars. check the g/r wire connected to your lighting switch harness if its getting power. then turn the light switch and see if the r/l wire is getting power
Sorry for the late reply, but no i mean like all of it does turn on like the red/blue hot cold thingy, the things that move left and right. they all light up. Well last night i was driving and like 3 houses before i got to mine it deciced to turn on so i got really pissed off lol. I think ill go to pick n' pull to look for that white box. Is there a way to know if it works before buying it?

mexicanS13

So finaly i got a chance to pull the cluster out. I checked the wires and there is power going to them even with the key on the ON position now im really thinking that its that little white box thats not working right. but im going to plug the cluster right now and see if it works

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

I know this is old but did you ever fix the problem? I've been reading old thread all day trying to figure out what is causing my issue and most are unanswered so I assume a bunch of 240 are driving around without cluster/dash lights?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”