S13 Vh45 Build!

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
pilot_456
Car: 1989 240sx coupe

Hello everyone! I have recently purchased an Infiniti Q45 in hopes of putting the vh45 in my s13 coupe.
I've had the coupe for about two years now. At first I was hoping to fix the little single cam ka it had but after realizing that it wouldn't have been worth the effort and money I decided to do a swap. I have spent months and months trying to decide on what engine I wanted. Sr, Rb, 2J, Lsx.. So many choices lol but I finally decided on the vh because I want torque and a v8. And its unique, all I saw at the drift events I've gone to were Sr's and Lsx's.. So yeah, my first goal is to finally drive my 240 so I will be focused on simply getting the engine in and running!

The donor car has around 150,000 miles on the odometer and the guy I bought it from took very good care of it. It ran very well and had no weird noises. All it needs is a TPS, the car idles and then dies if you don't hold the throttle. (that is the tps right?)
Anyways on to the pictures!

First day I got my coupe. $600!!

The donor car! Got it for $950! Guy didn't really know what he had and knew he wouldn't be able to sell it for much because it has a salvage title. Have no idea why! body is super straight besides the hail damage repairs it has. And everything works!

Anyways thats it! Haven't really done much to the coupe besides pull the motor and tear apart the dash, I will start ordering parts soon but this build may take me awhile seeing that I'm going to be working a lot and going to school.

marvlrose
Car: 89 VH45DE 240SX Hatch
11 Altima SR/SL Sedan
92 Geo Metro 3/5 Hatch DD

Good luck with build, if you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask. Finished mine about 6 months ago. I also do conversion harnesses.

pilot_456

Thanks man! I will thanks, and I'll keep that in mind.

pilot_456

So far I've just been ordering parts and prepping the engine bay for paint. The Q is getting towed to my house tomorrow so I will be able to start the swap

Xcessive mounts

Pulled fenders off and began removing everything I won't be needing in my engine bay, and I will be relocating the fuseboxes

My vh45de!

Which tranny should I go for? The NA or TT?

marvlrose
11 Altima SR/SL Sedan

pilot_456 wrote:Which tranny should I go for? The NA or TT?
If you can get your hands on a TT for a reasonable price I would go for that. Unless you are just trying to get your car running then I would say just buy the first one you can get lol.

pilot_456

Well since my last update I sanded down the bay and just primered it, painting it this weekend. And I started pulling the harness from the Q to get it converted and pulling the engine. Oh and I bought another engine that came with more mounts, mazworx headers, xcessive shifter adapter, power steering bracket, alternator bracket, z32 NA Tranny with adapter, xcessive driveshaft (for an s14). So basically all of the parts I need.

New engine really clean!

BUT I need help. After I took off the clutch I found that 2 Flywheel bolts had snapped :squint:
He had already tried to tap one out but he never told me :squint:
So anyways, I tried tapping then extracting them out but the extractors snapped inside :frown: :tisk:
What do I do!?
And he said he would mail me the crank pulley because he forgot it when we met up, he never did and hasn't responded. Can I use the crank pulley off of my parts car?

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Thats bad beans my friend very hard job,ahead of you

marvlrose
11 Altima SR/SL Sedan

pilot_456 wrote: BUT I need help. After I took off the clutch I found that 2 Flywheel bolts had snapped :squint:
He had already tried to tap one out but he never told me :squint:
So anyways, I tried tapping then extracting them out but the extractors snapped inside :frown: :tisk:
What do I do!?
And he said he would mail me the crank pulley because he forgot it when we met up, he never did and hasn't responded. Can I use the crank pulley off of my parts car?
Sounds like a headache but I am sure things will work themselves out. For the bolts, you could try using a cutting tool like a rotary and cut a notch in it. Once you have the notch you should be able to stick a punch or a flathead screw driver on it. Beat it counter-clockwise with a hammer if you have to. Use PB blaster if needed, you could squirt some on there and let it set over night before trying to knock them loose. Just do not use a torch unless you plan on replacing the main seals. As for your crank pulley you should be able to use the one off your parts car without any problems.

pilot_456

Well I got the bolts out a long time ago

I had just been ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive.
Driveshaft, radiator, flywheel bolts, wiring harness ( from marvlrose), and other small stuff!
So all I have to do now is put it together.
Oh and @marvlrose is a great guy! Quick turn around and the wiring looks great, very helpful too he will answer any questions you have.
Engine I bought after my parts car
Pulling the Q45's engine
Picked up a welded diff too

marvlrose
11 Altima SR/SL Sedan

Hey!

Didn't even realize that this was your build thread! Thanks again for choosing and trusting me to do your conversion harness. Honored to see my work being represented in your build here on NICO! I will post a link to your build thread in my ad if thats alright? Can't wait to see your finished project!

pilot_456

marvlrose wrote:Hey!

Didn't even realize that this was your build thread! Thanks again for choosing and trusting me to do your conversion harness. Honored to see my work being represented in your build here on NICO! I will post a link to your build thread in my ad if thats alright? Can't wait to see your finished project!
Hey! Yeah this is it! No thank you looks great, can't wait to try it out. Sure thats fine!

pilot_456

Haven't updated here in a while. But I've been waiting on some more parts to come in to move forward. The guy I bought the engine from had told me he would mail me some parts he had forgotten when we met up since he lives like 4 hours away. Those parts were an extra coil, crank pulley, flywheel spacer for xcessive adapter and a z32 slave cylinder. Never trust anyone off of craigslist lol Also after I removed the broken flywheel bolt he never told me about the threads were f***. So I am going to replace the thread with a helicoil. The helicoil and catch can just came in so I will be putting the engine together in the coming weeks and ordering the last parts I need.

Threads that are gone. I most likely damaged them myself when I used the punch to slowly turn the bolt. I was bolting up my flywheel and the bolt cross threaded.

My car, waiting to have a test fit.

Vlad48
Car: nissan cedric Y30

when u make yo first test fit? interesting to watch

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”