S13 SR20DET Idling/Starting Problem

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
DylSR510
Car: 1972 Datsun 510, SR20DET

So I just got the car on the road the other day, and ever since I've had the engine running it has had a tendancy to stall out after accelerating then letting off the throttle. However, aside from that it always ran/idled and drove just fine

The other day I noticed it was idling very rough and sputtering, then I noticed that the MAF tube had become loose so there was a slight leak... I fixed that... but still had the same problem, a very rough sputtering idle with lots of misfiring! Not driveable at all. I did notice that the idle got better when I unplugged the MAF.

A few hours later, the engine would not start at all... just crank and crank and crank. I never had a timing issue before, but just to be certain I re-installed the CAS to make sure it was aligned properly. Fuel pressure is fine. New plugs/coils/ignitor chip and never had a spark issue before.

I tried pulling codes from the ECU, but the red LED just stays solid and doesn't flash anything. I unhooked the battery overnight hoping to restart the ECU incase the MAF coming loose put the ECU into a "limp mode" or something, but same problem this morning! I'm starting to think that I have a bad ECU, but I can't find any signs of damage or frying when I pull off the ECU's cover and take a peak inside.

I'm stumped! 3 days and I can't figure this out! any ideas?

Cheers

jdmxpress
Car: 93 s13, red top sr20det
91 s13 (build in progress)

did you turn the little screw on the ecu? it will be solid if you dont turn it. just turn it to the right i think, then it will flash the codes, then when its done turn it back.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”