S13-S15 Conversion - No Conversion Fenders

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

by Tr0uble

Overview:

I completed my S15 conversion on my S13 after 2 days of work.

**Ran into a few problems along the way, check my thread by searching my username for more info!** -Tr0uble

Materials:

-S15 Oem Urethane Bumper-S15 Oem Steel Fenders-S15 Core Support-S15 Oem Style Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood-S15 Oem Headlights-240sx Oem Steel Fender

Procedure:

=S15 Core support install=

Trip to parts store (purchased cobalt drill bits & air hammer )I removed the S13 core support and attempted to install the s15 core support. I went in to this with the mindset of everything being just about bolt on with some minor mods. WRONG!Bumper core support will need to be altered to allow the S15 Oem Bumper Cover to fit. Easier to get a welding shop or yourself to fab up a new one with some steel. (Summit Racing carries a spot weld remover bit which helps alot.)

When removing the 240sx core support your tensioner rod brackets will most likely shift backwards. This could possibly be due to the weight. It may help to lift front end off the ground by crossmember or jackstands under rocker panels.

The bottom section of the S15 core support is slimmer than the S13 core support. So don't be alarmed if it doesn't weld in exactly where the old one came out.

Next - Tension rod bracket will not bolt to the s15 core support for 2 reasons; bracket will not reach the bolt holes. Bolt holes on the support are farther apart than the holes on the tension rod bracket

Fixed by pushing the s15 core support farther back and also wallowing out the holes on the tension rod bracket. Also FYI old tension rod bracket bolts will not fit,(14mm) too small. Had to buy 17mm bolts. sigh.....After you attach the tension rod brackets to the core support you need to pull the bottom of the core support and make the brackets shift back forward to original position. Ram Jacks can be used or a simple rope to the tree. See my pics.

Pull each side one at a time until the bumper support holes line up and put the 14mm bolt back in there. (Don't put on the bumper support just put the bolt in the hole). After both sides are done you can weld the core support the the frame rails only at this point. Upper adjustment still needs to be done for fenders and hood.

=S15 Hood Install=

First off the S13 hinges doesn't work at all.I searched and searched online for a place to buy s15 hinges with no luck.The Nissan Parts Dept. in Cali imports various JDM Nissan parts from the Japan Nissan regulary. Intensepower.com could get a hold of some S15 hinges if you called them since they deal with the Nissan store regularly.S14 hinges will work. Not sure how much better the S15 ones would be.

Come installation time no surprise the hood is unable to be mounted using the stock hinges from my car.2 choices modify/fab s13 hinges cut weld etc etc to make them work, or check on a rumor of s14 hinges working.

Trip to salvage yard.

Found a 95 240 with the hinges still in place. Removed, purchased and went home. They looked similar to pictures of s15 hinges. For me they lined my hood up using the front hinge bolt hole on the rear bolt hole of the car.However with the s15 core support in place the hood cant close, hence the reason not to weld the top half of the core support yet. Adjust the core support until it closes properly and clamp the core support in place to be welded. Playing with the 3 bolts that hold the hood latch to the core support will get you some adjustment out of it as well. Weld in place. Also the S13 hood prop no longer fits. Get S15 Hood prop or order hood struts. Tein and Cusco both make them along with various other companies.

=S15 Oem Steel Fender Install=These fenders need to be cut and welded (converted) to fit the car.Below are pictures of the cut/welded fenders courtesy of RPS13.5Notice where marks were made to help alignment during cutting/welding.1. Side view of where sections are cut and welded together.

2. Close up of lower half of the weld.

3. Top view of hood and fender section near windshield.

4. View of Side from another angle.

5. View of alignment for front.

6. Process Finish.

=S15 Headlight Install=

No instructions, no plugs, no bolts.....Found a wire diagram, No plugs off any of my spare harnesses fit the headlights. Basically either make your own plugs (Summit Racing sells materials) or go to Nissan near you and get a list of plugs that fit the S15 headlight. Take that list to your nearest salvage yard and go cut them off yourself and splice them into your headlight harness.Here's wiring diagram courtesy of Yoshi.

If you want to help strengthen the front end you can also check with Intense power to see if they can get a hold for you the bracket that supports the bottom of the headlights. S15 Headlight Support Bracket (this one runs horizontal, don't let them confuse it with the s13 brackets that run vertical to the core support) This OEM Support helps to strengthen the portion where the bumper attaches as well as supports the lights. Without these ordered from japan the bumper will only be held on with 4 bolts and 2 plastic fasteners. 2 on each side and 2 on the core support.

=S15 Oem Bumper install=

(Oem Fenders come with hardware {screws, fasteners, plastic anchors}) Pretty easy install. Push the plastic bolt anchors into the square hold on the underside of the fender and bolt the bumper to the fenders. Put the 2 plastic fasteners in to attach the bumper the headlight bracket.

In my opinion if anyone is planning on doing the conversion spend the money on the metal fenders, take your s13 fenders & s15 fenders to body shop, have them cut both of them in half and weld the s15 front portion of fender to rear portion of s13 fenders. This is the proper way to do the conversion without all the rest of the headache. Also DON'T use the S15 core support. Instead use 180sx Headlight brackets. S15 core support is a little lighter, but your car will be weakened, and will run into a ot of problems with alignment. Wish I would have done it that way. And STAY AWAY FROM EXTREME DIMENSION!! I tried to return the fenders. However, I would have had to pay shipping costs to return and shipping costs to receive another set which probably would have been the same. Friend of mine ordered about a week after I did and when he got his they were the same effed up mold mine was from. Shipping btw was over 90 bucks due to freight shipping. They don't even fit properly around the headlights.... And I KNOW the headlights aren't deformed.

Finished Product

Hope this information helps.

Return to “240sx Articles”