S13 oem handbrake wont lock

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
seuksavanh_v
Car: s13 krappy1

Sup guys,
I just finish installing, brand new gktech handbrake cables, gktech extender, hawk hps pads and new rotor. So deceiving, cant get that handbrake to lock, lol even my tire are almost bald and still no skurrrrt. Ill try later to tighten up the 10mm under the lever. Didn't want to go hydro to keep it stock interior. Any tips?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds like the pawl that rides along the notched piece is stuck or not engaging. Take the OEM handbrake apart, clean the notched curved part, clean the locking pawl, hit it with som penetrating oil, and test it while off the car.

We don't speak 'skurrrt' around here, but we'll help you with your mechanical issues. ;)

seuksavanh_v

Hey thanks! Will try that. Handbrake works for parking duty but seem too weak to lock while rolling to initiate a drift. Do you guys get the pads warmup? Anyway, so far I had my rear wheel s jacked up. Thighten up the 10mm till when im releasing the handbrake so it drag just a little. I also made sure both side drag a little.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

So I think we are misunderstanding your issue. To clarify, you're trying to get your TIRES to lock up, this isn't an issue of the actual hand-brake handle staying in the up-position when the car is parked (which would be a pawl/detent issue within the lever mechanism.) Is that right?

I'd be worried about over-heating your rear brakes and long-term damage to your hubs from the pad constantly dragging like that, pumping heat into everything, not to mention premature brake wear.

I don't drift, I DO track and road-race my cars though, and my honest advice is to read up on what you're trying to do a little more. Drifting isn't going fast and just whipping the steering wheel and trying to get your tires to lock up. Suspension geometry plays a big part, your engine power, and how you balance that traction in the rear of the car. If you're trying to do this in a stock S13 with decent tire, fairly neutral camber, and an open diff, blown struts/shot bushings etc..., on a paved road you're probably not going to be getting the result you're looking for. I don't know what environment you're trying this in either but it's also entirely possible you're not carrying enough speed into the turn before you initiate. My S14 behaves completely differently in a corner than my 5th gen camaro does.

Short answer; there may be nothing wrong with your ebrake at all. It isn't a drift lever.

The stock e-brake is just that; an emergency brake to keep the car in place while parked. Some people use it to initiate a drift, sure, but it's only a small part of a much bigger equation in balancing rear traction for what you're trying to do here.

Not advocating for doing anything dangerous on public roads /disclaimer
https://drivingfast.net/drifting/

You can use a combination of feint/clutch kick to initiate as well but this all hinges on balance, carrying enough momentum into the slide, and doing it in a safe place where you can learn and practice. I'm largely ignorant of the drift community but in NASA/SCCA stuff there are local events where you can come to participate. They'll pair beginners with a coach to both learn the track itself and proper safe technique as a jumping off point. It's a great community and if you can find something like that in your area I'd 100% recommend going that route.

seuksavanh_v

Hey guys! Sorry I wasnt clear. I want my oem handbrake to lock up the rear tires, when im rolling to initiate a drift. Mine doesnt lock the rear tires when pulling the handbrake lever. I have an exemple in this video at 3:00min you can clearly see his rear tires lock:
https://youtu.be/wdjqvktpqKo

I dont promote drifting in public road either.

Thank you in advance! :-)

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”