S13 frame bent upwards from previous owner jacking.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Toblinsky
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX hatch

I just bought an s13 blacktop sr20det and wanted to swap it into this s13 I have had for awhile and never found a full answer on this type of topic but on both sides of the frame rails in the rear are bent upwards on one side it does not seem too bad but the right side of the car is bad enough to have dented the floor of the car in ever so slightly but you can feel it with your foot. I was wondering if this is a bad enough problem to say get rid of the car and hopefully find a shell or if it isn't to be too concerned about.

The car needs an alignment so when I drive on any road that isn't completely flat it slightly pulls side to side sometimes but in a straight it will drive straight but will start pulling to the right if the wheel is centered. The kick-ups or whatever in the rear also seem to be mostly flat with some bangs but not pushed up like the area in front. Also no rust on frame rails if that matters lol.
Attachments
240 pic 2.jpg
Left side of car (Rear)
240 pic1.jpg
Right side of car (Rear)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The alignment machine should tell you if it's bent badly enough to matter. If the thrust angle is out significantly and can't be corrected, the problem is likely in the frame.

Toblinsky
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX hatch

Alright makes sense I was planning on taking it in for one anyways looking at the front struts the camber plates are slightly different in the amount of camber on each side so that's hopefully why it rides pulls to the right or worst case they're adjusted differently to compensate for those bends. :(

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Eh, I've seen worse haha. You could weld a straight section in and make a truss out of it haha.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

That section is made out of very light gauge sheet metal. You could probably get it straightened/pulled with a stud welder and puller.

JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

I cut both of those sections out of my car and welded in 1/8" box steel, cut to contour so the bottom was level. It stiffened the car up a lot. Now I can put a jack under one side and lift the car and both wheels come off the ground at the same time.

I've got pics of the car sitting on three jackstands, two rears and only one front, without any sag (but can't post here because they aren't hosted.)

JayArr

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

JayArr wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:02 am
(but can't post here because they aren't hosted.)
NICO actually hosts photos now.
In full editor (when posting), click on the "attachments" tab below the text entry field, then "add files".
Select the picture you want, and then once it uploads, click "place inline".
Here's one I had kicking around on my computer of some of Greg's cars a while back:
Arizona fleet.jpg

Return to “240sx General Discussion”