s13 dash board removal

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
AustinSilvia
Car: CARS, nissans sr20det ftw!

hey so i guess i'll go ahead and post this up because i need to know and i'm sure there are plenty of others that need to know also. where are all the screws and things that hold down the dash board? i've never taken out my dash before but i'm in the process of doing it right now. i have taken out all of the obvious bolts and things and all the stuff around the steering wheel, but i can't remove the gauges without getting the dash off or taking the steering wheel off. anyway i also got the bolts up on top under the vents. oh and here's another question... do you need to take the vents off to get the dash off? not the ones on top for defrosting but the ones that pivot and move... i don't want to break em... do they need to be removed to get the dash off? thanks

wangless
Car: '02 MBP WRX

to remove the gauges you have to drop the steering column. underneat the wheel look for two bolts either 12 or 14mm i forget. have you removed those bolts, then tilt the wheel downward, that should give you more clearance to remove the gauges. also, remove the cluster bezel thing if you havent already.

and from what i remember when i took off my dash, you do not need to remove the vents

someone correct me if im wrong

BomexS13

i need to replace mine as well. i have an uncracked dash seating in the garage....

el5y
Car: 93 240sx

This is a very long and very tedious process. By myself it took nearly an hour and a half straight just to get the dash out. There are several screws/bolts under the defroster vents which it seems you have gotten, then you need to remove the gauge bezel as previously mentioned, now on the lower part of the dash the kick panels need to come off, the lower dash below the steering wheel needs to come out, the glove box needs to come out and the center console needs to be detached from the dash and taken out as well.when taking it out, I grabbed by where the defrost vents were (taken out already) and tilted the back of it towards me, (both of the doors are open at this point) then lift the drivers end over the steering wheel while sliding the bottom part towards the back of the car, then pass it out the passenger side (this is where the second person comes in handy...I didn't have someone so I just kinda tossed it on to my lawn).

Eric

AustinSilvia

yeah i've done all of that above... the dash was in there pretty well because the car is old and it's baked into place im sure. anyway so right now it's hard to clear the steering wheel. i need to take that thing off i think.... the tilt steering is in the way and i can't get the dash out. this kind of work makes me want to break all the damn plastic crap in the car and burn it. but then i would have a crappy looking interior so i have to practice meditation and yoga while i try to pry this crap out of the car. thanks for the help, although i came back to read this after i got the dash almost all the way off... just have to clear the steering wheel or take it off or do something and i'm home free for a little while.

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Did you "drop" the steering wheel? I know that helps if you haven't done that yet. The 2 bolts that wangless was mentioning.

Also, If you remove the a-pillar (plastic trim that goes around the the auto seatbelts), it will help a lot since I noticed my dash hit the pillar trim a lot when I was wiggling it out.

Another thing is that although you don't have to remove the vents, the 2 defroster ducts near the doors are connected to the dash - take those apart if you haven't already. Helps a little.

If you want to really make your life easier, take out your front seats.

I know that gave me hella more room to work with when I was taking mine out. I've taken out my dash about 3-4 times at least, and I just have developed my own little quirky way of doing things, haha.

o yea, I guess buying that quick release steering wheel adapter a few months back came in handy :-D.

AustinSilvia

i got the dash off.... i already did everything you said above... the car is completely stripped. only trim left in there is the carpet. my dad went on the other side and helped me with the dash, and it took about 5 seconds to get out. i still have to remove the steering wheel though, but not because of the dash... is a special puller required? i took off the horn button and cover and unbolted the steering wheel and the thing is on there really well... i have been trying to get it off, and no progress at all since removing the bolt. the thing won't budge.

onosqv

Cool, good to know the dash is completely out. I wasn't sure from your previous post what was gone or whatnot.

Anyway, the steering wheel is easy to get out, but you do need to tug HARD, it's been like that for years, so once the main bolt is out, that sucker is urs.

Yank away my friend, yank away. But that will be easier w/ the steering column bolted back into the chassis (those 2 bolts wangless was talking about).

pimp1911

Found this for removal. I am in the process of doing it. Look under tech.

http://www.jdmrice.com/web/frame.htm

AustinSilvia

thanks

chmercer

hey where do you live austinsilvia. i live over by lake travis, down 620 a ways. i have a primer s14 with version select. maybe youve seen me.

AustinSilvia

you posted up the day i left town for florida... just got back... pretty nice vacation. any way my dad lives out at lake travis and i'm out there all the time. can't say i remember seeing you but i may have. there are a bunch of people that post here that live in and around austin.

Twinchy
Car: Peg leggin 240sx

how long do you think it takes too remove the dash ?

onosqv

Twinchy wrote:how long do you think it takes too remove the dash ?
between 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how skilled you are .

First time took me like around 1-2 hours.

then the few times after, i became like pro for my car, haha (15 min time was when i already had seats and center console out because I was already working on the car).

Return to “Interiors”