S13 clunk coming from passenger side

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
BrianZ32
Car: 93' 9 2+2 300zx

I recently bought and installed USED coilovers for my s13 hatch. They are godspeed. Paid only $180 so i know what i got myself into. The coils are in decent condition. Not worn excessively and still stiff. However, ever since i lowered the car, i have been hearing a clunking sound from front right side. At first, i believed it was the coilover but now im not so sure. I replicated the sound by pushing down on car but nothing is off about it. When inspecting, i realized that my rack and pinion was leaking and the smallest amount of play in the outer tie rod. It only clunks when going over bumps. I would like to see if i can diagnose it myself. Is there something else i should inspect? Again, the coil seems fine. The prev owner said he bought them from someone else but he never mounted them himself so who knows how many actual miles they have. Any tips would help!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Typically you'd elevate the car and put it on ramps. Make sure its very stable. You can have someone load/unload the suspension while you're under there listening and even listen with a stethoscope or put a screw driver on suspect areas to zone in on where the noise is coming from.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”