S13 Brake Question, help me quick!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

i am finally getting my slotted rotors installed for the front , question is are the brakes on the s13 press-on? Or turn-on type? The mechanic was asking me this and i wasn't too sure, i'm 90% sure they are not 'press-on', mechanic said he would charge me more if they are because they're a b*tch to get on

i need a quick definite answer so he doesn't try to jip me,i'm getting the job done today!

GoofyATX240

What exactly does he mean by press on or turn on type....If this helps any all I had to do was pop the rotor off with two bolts that go into the threaded holes....you screw those in and it pushes the rotor off...

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Sky,

There shouldn't be any big deal in swapping out the rotors on your car. Hell, if you're not worried about the rotors the mech can use a mallet to take them off if they're stuck. If you think he's going to rip you off, tell him to put it back together and you'll go somewhere else.

He should have been able to quote you a price before he began the job. Did he do this?

Andy

GoofyATX240

repo man wrote:Sky,

There shouldn't be any big deal in swapping out the rotors on your car. Hell, if you're not worried about the rotors the mech can use a mallet to take them off if they're stuck. If you think he's going to rip you off, tell him to put it back together and you'll go somewhere else.

He should have been able to quote you a price before he began the job. Did he do this?

Andy

Yeh what he said heh..In all honesty I think hes just trying to get extra money out of you.Rotors dont take much to do unless hes sucky at doing them.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

i think what the mech mean is that some rotors are harder on some cars to take off than others, something about the wheel hub and/or the caliperassembly, well, i'm having it done now, and before i left they already took off the pads (asking me if i wanted to keep 'em--hell no) and so i take from that it was easy, like i said, i was 90% sure they were'nt the 'press on' type

thanks anyway!:)

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

He's confusing our brakes with the brakes of say...a Honda Accord. They're a real pain to get on and off....most places turn the rotors still on the car to save time.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

If that's the case, he must not be much of a mechanic. I did the brakes on my wife's '99 F-150. On that particular truck, the wheel bearings are packed inside the discs which meant that I had to remove the bearings and repack them in the new discs. I'd never done this before, but it wasn't that hard.

I hope everything turns out well Sky.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”