S13 Blacktop running hot!!!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
jdm_sao
Car: 95' Nissan 240SX SE, S13 Blacktop...

I just swapped the S13 blacktop in my 95' 240, everything runs good but after I drive it for about 15 minutes, it will get really hot. The car isnt overheating, but Im talking about the engine itself as well as in the car. I can feel hot air rushing from my center console and shifter area. This is my first Nissan, as well as my first turbo'd car so if this is normal, somebody please give me a heads up...

- 95 240sx SE - S13 SR20DET Blacktop - Exedy Stage II clutch - B&M Short Shifter - HKS Type S FMIC - HKS BOV - Greddy 3" downpipe - HKS Hiper Exhaust - Greddy Profec B Spec II and Turbo Timer - Apexi SAFC II

toledo240

does the car accelerate good, or poorly?does it go to ful boost? are you running a/c at the time.It could just be if your not having any acceleration problems, that your turbo is what your feeling. do you have the heatsheild over the turbo? i know that the s13's have to take them off.

getnrowdy23
Car: '95 sr20det 240sx se/2004 suzuki sv650s

where are you located? any noises? how hot is it getting? radiator leaks?

rudee023
Car: '03 Infiniti Q45

toledo240 wrote:do you have the heatsheild over the turbo? i know that the s13's have to take them off.
I still have my heatsheild on. Why would you have to take it off? BTW my engine bay gets pretty damn hot as well. I figure it's normal as long as you are not overheating. Alot of people use washers to prop the back of their hood up at the rear hinges allowing the hot air to escape while driving. Supposedly it makes a huge difference.

jdm_sao

The car accelerates like a champ, and Im hitting 10psi of boost, everything seems to be fine besides the fact that its running hot as hell. I dont currently have A/C in the car. About the heat shield, I didnt even know it was supposed to have one, I dont think that its on though. By the way I live in South Florida.....

toledo240

thats wierd for some reason i must be retarded but mine didn't fit!?

mynismo

how are you monitoring water temp? aftermarket gauge?

is your water temp needle moving above center (towards H)?

if it aint budging, im afraid to tell you that you aren't overheating. engine's get hot. its a damn engine for christ sake. its not going to be cold.

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

Well, when I was still working for a quick change, a somolian came in and got his oil changed. He came back complaining that his engine is "tooooo oooht" (too hot). We started it up and the temp gauge was centered where it's suppose to be. We said it's fine, he said no it's not. So we asked him, how can you tell it's hot? He said "I'll show you". He then opens the hood and touches his heat sheild. The sheild even have a imprinted sign with a crossed out hand on it. We said it's suppose to get hot. He said it's not suppose to get that hot. He said we F*cked up his car and he wants us to fix it. Ended up going to our district manager and they were bitching it out. We called the cops and he got thrown off the premesis.

jdm_sao

Im not a moron, I know the engine is supposed to get hot...but what Im concerned with is that the inside of the car gets really hot. Ive rode in other SR20 equipped 240's and it didnt feel like that. It like I have the heat on full blast in the middle of summer, the whole center console heats up, almost until you cant touch it....I know thats not normal....

justmerging
Car: 07 Versa SL w/CVT Cuz I'm lazy

There are 2 heat shields on an s13 motor. The lower one needs to be removed so that it will clear the steering column, but the other one can remain in place. My car runs warm as well but it doesn't even come close to overheating. The heat shields actually do make a difference.

You're probably feeling the heat from the turbo come up through the transmission tunnel(mine does the same damn thing and it is annoying). You could get a turbo wrap, that would probably help quite a bit. Also bear in mind that your turbo is right by your feet and exhaust temps can get really high.

mynismo

Silvia007 wrote:Well, when I was still working for a quick change, a somolian came in and got his oil changed. He came back complaining that his engine is "tooooo oooht" (too hot). We started it up and the temp gauge was centered where it's suppose to be. We said it's fine, he said no it's not. So we asked him, how can you tell it's hot? He said "I'll show you". He then opens the hood and touches his heat sheild. The sheild even have a imprinted sign with a crossed out hand on it. We said it's suppose to get hot. He said it's not suppose to get that hot. He said we F*cked up his car and he wants us to fix it. Ended up going to our district manager and they were bitching it out. We called the cops and he got thrown off the premesis.
he actually put his hand on the heatshield.......... hahhahahhahhahahhaha

what a tard

the only visual way to tell your car is overheating is if you see steam flying out of the radiator and stuff is melting.

go get a temp gauge dude.

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

jdm_sao wrote:Im not a moron, I know the engine is supposed to get hot...but what Im concerned with is that the inside of the car gets really hot. Ive rode in other SR20 equipped 240's and it didnt feel like that. It like I have the heat on full blast in the middle of summer, the whole center console heats up, almost until you cant touch it....I know thats not normal....
It was just a story, it has nothing to do with you. What I would do is when it gets hot like that, I'd jack up the car and check out the hot spots under the car. It may be your transmission but no way it'll heat up that much unless.... no fluid. Anyway, it's probably something wrong with your exhuast, perhaps a leak and hot exhuast gas is hitting the bottom side of your car. But like I said, I'd jack it up once it gets as hot as you said and see if the heat can be pinpointed.

pgt892
Car: 1997 240SX

jdm_sao wrote:what Im concerned with is that the inside of the car gets really hot. It like I have the heat on full blast in the middle of summer, the whole center console heats up, almost until you cant touch it....I know thats not normal....
Take off your center console and see if one of your heating ducts is off track causing the hot air to go directly on the plastic causing it to heat up. That's the only thing I can think of.

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

better safe than to be sorry

alumium block will warp easily..

check your spark plugs to see if you are running lean... I am under the impression that running lean will make your engine run hotter than intended

mynismo

there's no reason to speculate you are overheating unless you have a reason to. hotter inside the chassis then usual is something else (most likely exhaust). i know the z32's center console always gets overly hot because of the exhaust running right underneath. maybe you heatshield for catalytic convertor fell off or something.

NY S13 SR

Does not sound normal to me at all. None of our swaps ever had a hot dash, and if you can't hold you hand over the valve cover without touching it that is too hot. Exhaust is not going to be felt unless there is a problem.

_________________Jeff Hheavythrottle.com

mynismo

this is all speculation without some sort of gauge.

nismostate
Car: all sorts of motorsports

agree, just get a water temp gauge and see what's up.

jdm_sao

I have an S13 motor in an S14, will that heatshield fit okay on this chassis? Im looking into getting one, does anyone know where I could find one? I just got a water temp gauge, I'll post the results as soon as its installed....

djpure077
Car: Nissan s13, sr20det redtop

Hi Guys

I have the same problem the only difrence is that when my sr gets hot it start to stutter and does not idle en when it dies u cant start it again have to wait a couple of minutes. But Performance wise its fine

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”