S13 Automatic Rebuild

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Lord Umoja
Car: 1993 240SX 'Vert

Has anyone on here had experience rebuilding the automatic transmissions on the S13 themselves?

Mine is getting long in the tooth and it is slipping especially when cold. It looks like the car may be going into semi-long term storage at a relative's large and well equipped garage (I need a family car and I'm out of garage space) so I am considering pulling the motor and trans and doing a complete teardown and rebuild on them both. I'm thinking this may be cheaper and a better learning experience in the long run than trying to do an RB25DET and auto swap. My wife is handicapped but loves the car so it has to remain Automatic so she can drive it.

So my question is for anyone who has rebuilt one of these. How difficult was it for you? I'm mechanically inclined and already rebuilt a KA24DE for a turbo application so I am not terrified of the prospect. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Just as supporting information, this is for a Convertible that is a commuter car and a cruiser so outright power is not a concern. I'd rather have it run reliably than have a monster motor that is finicky as all get out.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I say it's just as hard/ easy as an engine tear down and rebuild. Perhaps easier as you won't be dealing with a machine shop for any of it. Getting a good kit with all your desired components of a reputable brand will be a starting point. The tools aren't that bad, I found that some tools could be fabbed up, such as really long gear pullers. You can take a regular 2 or 3 claw puller and add flat metal extensions and now you have a 2 foot long puller. You'll want a bearing splitter tool kit. You want the FSM and a large clean work space to lay out all the parts in order. You can clean all the parts, but the longer they lay out, the more prone to rusting from exposure. Maybe oil your parts after cleaning to protect them. Be careful as you remove parts and always lay them down facing the same direction they come off. You end up with a few long rows of parts. I ended up not using a dial indicator to check tolerances as I didn't re-shim anything. Take a crap ton of photos from different angles as you take of each piece. The FSM is good, but more schematic and not always at the right angle to know how to put it back together. Don't loose anything (the smallest spring or stopper bearing or pin makes a difference!) and mark parts as you see necessary. When removing nuts that were cramped in and on, you can cut out the cramped section with a dremel and it should unscrew. When putting on the same nuts, be very sure you cramp the crap out of them. I did a rebuild and didn't cramp hard enough and the dang nut worked off and ruined 5th and reverse (that was a manual tranny).

Sorry for the 'book'. Hope it helps a little.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”