S13 and S14 Speedometer correction options *write up*

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ca18det_boy

There was some old info out there from freshalloy and zilvia, but I've recently stumbled across another inexpensive way to change the signal to the speedo. So I'm compiling information and also adding to it.

First and foremost, we'll go the free route...assuming that you're not bad with math, this one is super easy to do. The only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that if you constantly change wheel/tire/transmission set ups then you can potentially burn out your speedo and then this whole thing was pointless.

Start off by pulling your gauge cluster and removing the speedo from the housing. Once it is removed, flip it over to where the PCB is facing you and get out your solder sucker and your soldering iron. You'll see these 10 points on the back.

Each of these points represents a % of resistance.
ADJ 9: -49.4%
ADJ 8: -24.7%
ADJ 7: -12.4%
ADJ 6: -6.2%
ADJ 5: -3.1%
ADJ 4: -1.5%
ADJ 3: -0.8%
ADJ 2: -0.4%
ADJ 1: -0.2%
ADJ 0: -0.1%

So you can do some math and figure out how much you're off by, then desolder and resolder the points to meet your needs.

Now for the people who don't feel like soldering a PCB, there is another option that is even easier. You can go to http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php ... duct_id=59 and get this speedo correction device (the universal one). It costs around $90, but you can change your speedo on the fly and you don't have to run the risk of burning up your PCB. Using the FSM (EL-78), will bring you to the combination meter wiring diagram.

Now with the speedo DRD you have 4 wires. The ground is going to go to pin 22 (black), 12V switched is going to pin 21 (green), then you'll cut the wire from pin 29 (Yellow/green) and the blue wire from the DRD will go on the harness side of the wire. The white wire will connect to the other side of the pin 29 wire going to the gauge cluster. 12oClocklabs has a really neat calculator on their website that will walk you through the percentage you need to change it and also exactly how to change it. It works based off the same concept as above, but you don't need to mess with any PCB's and it's a bit cleaner. Plus once it's done, you can change things on the fly and don't have to get dirty! If you don't want to pull the cluster, this same principal can be applied to the S14 F1 plug. If you want to use the F1 plug instead, the signal wire is going to be pin 24 (yellow/green).

For a DOHC S13 cluster, we're going to look at these. Just from a quick look at the FSM, using a 92 240sx application, EL-53 states it should be pin 12 (needle meter).

EL-57 states it should be pin 6 (digi meter). Those would be the pins used if you were running the unit from 12oclocklabs.

I personally like it at the cluster. This way you can drive down the street and if you need to make an adjustment, it's right there and you don't have to reach over or move to the passenger seat. Hope someone can get some use out of this!

I'd like to thank Gerry and Knate for their contribution to the community and knowledge.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Totally cool info!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Excellent. We should make this an article.
I want to say S13s just have a potentiometer on the back of the cluster that you can adjust.

ca18det_boy

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm
Excellent. We should make this an article.
I want to say S13s just have a potentiometer on the back of the cluster that you can adjust.
The S14 has a potentiometer in the back of the tach that you can adjust the RPM with. The S13's aren't as simple to modify unfortunately. I know how to convert the S13/S14 from KPH to MPH by swapping one of the resistors on the PCB, but as for everything else I'd have to dig back into the FSM. If you'd like, I can play around with my spare S13 cluster and see if we can consolidate modifying both clusters.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I'd be interested in that. Is yours a SOHC and DOHC cluster?
Even with the larger tires on the back of my truck, the speedo still reads about 6% high.

ca18det_boy

The unit from 12oclocklabs will work on any car. You just need power/ground and then the one wire to intercept the speedo signal. I had originally purchased this for my G (I'm about 5% off), but when I pulled the cluster to change the settings for my RB I had decided to use the unit for my s14 instead of the G. The spare cluster I have for my S13 is a DOHC cluster, but I could probably get my hands on a SOHC cluster to check it out as well.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

DOHC cluster is what I'm after anyway :)

ca18det_boy

Added S13 DOHC info to original post

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

:dblthumb: :mike :woot: :patriot: :BnB:

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”