RWD or AWD? How do you know?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
laro1965

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any way to know if an FX 35 is AWD or RWD? I bought my 2007 used and I thought it was RWD. However, when the insurance company entered the VIN it came up as AWD. Also, I've seen the AWD warning light in the dash when I start the car. That may not mean anything though.

Are there any controls only for the AWD? Thanks.

1M2NV
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x Fully Loaded

vin number will definitely determine if it's rwd or awd.

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

You may or may not have a button for this. I have the FX45, which is AWD, and I have no button to place it in AWD. I believe the AWD on these FXs only activates initially upon accelerating when the car was stopped (and it remains in AWD for a brief moment, then shifts power to the rear diff after a few seconds) and when the vehicle senses tires are slipping. One good way to know for sure is to get underneath the car and look to see if there is a front differential and a rear differential. If you have both, you have AWD. If you only see a rear differential, then you don't have AWD. I can't remember now but the plastic skid plate may block your view of the front diff. You may need to remove this to verify.

Tony Two-Tone
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Look for a transfer case on the rear of the transmission and a driveshaft going to the front. There wouldn't be any controls for it as AWD reacts without driver control.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

This question can't be real. :rotflmao

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”