rusty valves?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
LaggyFR

yay my first post! im trying to piece together my s13 kade car. i just picked up a longblock. with the intake off looking at the valves from the intake ports i can notice alittle bit of surface rust. its not much but it is noticeable. obviously this is from sitting for a while and moisture building up .. is this really bad for my motor? im guessing i can still use it and it wont hurt it much but how will it hurt it? some of the valves are open so im guessing moisture could build inside the combustion chamber. your expertise would be much appreciated and not to kiss*** but your site is awesome. thankyou

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

first wecome to nico and im going to say search for your answer.but rusty vavles means its a rotten motor (been siting to long in the eliments)

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Hes right, rusty valves usually means the motors been kept outside and rained on, ect. This can mean that your cylinder walls have possibly gotten some surface rust on them. What this is going to do when you try to turn it over is really screw up the cylinder walls/rings. You would be better off doing a full rebuild on the motor. Its not very expensive to do an OEM rebuild on the Ka.

Vegascorbin
Car: 1990 240sx dirt track race car

+1 for rebuild time.it is a good way to learn a lot about your KA. Also you will know the condition of your motor.

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

welcome to nicco man..there all rite..but lets look at this a different way...nows a great opertunity to prepare the block..not just rebuild...for durability...say for instance you feel you might wana turbo later on..you can get the block rdy now...as you must rebuild anyways...why not make it a b0mber block..insted of just oem...glad ya can join us here..let us know your progress.

http://www.myspace.com/liquid_cool_ka24de

LaggyFR

i thought i might get that reaction. i always seem to wanna get a fo-sure answer from somebody. thats just me. thanks though. the search for a bicycle begins till i get some more cash.

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

LaggyFR wrote:i thought i might get that reaction. i always seem to wanna get a fo-sure answer from somebody. thats just me. thanks though. the search for a bicycle begins till i get some more cash.
i do it little by little man..a part here..a part there..and bam..4 months later your sittin pretty.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”