rust underneath

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I live in Canada and everyone knows we have a lot of salt on our roads in the winter that rust our vehicles. I had my Rogue undercoated with the black rubberized coating when it was new but I just looked under the vehicle and noticed rust near the rear bumper on the passenger side. Underneath the vehicle just before the bumper it looks like a square panel with slots in it which is the only spot that has rusted. Has anyone else's Rogue rusted there? I put rust check on it but I am wondering if I use the black undercoating to spray over the rust if it will rust even more?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

can you take pictures?

undercoating or not, certain parts cant be coated and will rust. its just the nature of the beast. rust under a car is STANDARD and nothing to be concerned with. its inevitable. (rust on body panels is a different story).

once rust is present, its gonna keep growing. its like a fungus. if you have to remove it all, treat it with a chemical and then seal it. its not even worth the hassle.

Qashqai

I know that piece. It is I think called evap canister shield. I am not sure about its name but something related with the gas tank. I installed my trailer hitch last weekend and to install the hitch you have to remove a big and small bolt that attaches that rusted shield to the frame. Mine was rusted as well, but not too much. I noticed just small spots. However when I looked at the pictures that ImStricked posted while describing the installation of the hitch I realized that mine will be rusted badly in a very near future as well. What I did was, I removed the shield (then I saw how the pipes from gas tank passes through the plastic boxes) clean it with steel brush, wipe it with alcohol and spray rubberized compound all over it. Now it looks better, protected for at least 4-5 winters. The problem with that piece is it is just behind the wheel. All the salt goes over the metal.

They didn't coat that specific part of your car because it should be ventilated. probably rubber coating would block the slots.

I know we cant escape from rust, but at least prevent some pieces to catch rust. I sometimes feel like an idiot when I remeber the day I said yes when the dealer offered my to install electronic rust protection system. I must be stupid, or maybe I am....

Jostudly

Okay I will check when I have time to see if I can take it off and clean it up a bit. I will try and cover it will black asphalt spray and try not to block the slots in the middle. Sometimes heat shields are a pain in the ^^&^&@# and serve no purpose but rattle and rust.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

hey Qashqai i actually stole that image from a new rogue, i found online - thats why its so clean LOLOL
mine was rusted to no end. sometimes while working (and often alone) i dont always have the means or the memory to snap photo's of all the parts and steps, so i go online and find the images i need and then continue the write-ups. (sometimes i during work hours and snap a photo on the car that i forgot the day before LOL)

your 100% it wasnt sprayed because the spray would clog the vents. its just a piece of steel, not a biggy.

Qashqai

Jostudly wrote:Okay I will check when I have time to see if I can take it off and clean it up a bit. I will try and cover it will black asphalt spray and try not to block the slots in the middle. Sometimes heat shields are a pain in the ^^&^&@# and serve no purpose but rattle and rust.

you can buy this from Canadian Tire..that is an AMAZING product:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

you have to remove three 8mm bolts, one big bolt and one plastic clip from the mud guard. Very easy to remove. Just remove it, clean with steel brush and wipe with alcohol. Spray rubberized compound and done....

Jostudly

Yes that's the undercoating I have. I wonder if I could just spray it with the part on the car without plugging up the slots? If not I will just remove it.

Qashqai

If I were you I just remove it. It is not very easy but this way you can carefully examine and clean the part plus you can coat the interior surface as well. On the other hand, I think it is safer to be away from the canister while you spray a rubberised compound. Just to be on the safe side...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jostudly wrote:Yes that's the undercoating I have. I wonder if I could just spray it with the part on the car without plugging up the slots? If not I will just remove it.
there are some things that are worth being lazy over, and this is not one of them. do it right, and dont risk getting that tar stuff on the evap system.

why do you care anyway? thats probably a $10-$20 tin at the dealer (that you'll probably NEVER have to replace anyway).

Qashqai

ImStricken, my friend...we Canadians are very sensitive when it comes to RUST.. :O)))))))

Personally my only hobby is my car. So I love playing with it and since I can't modify the engine block :), I just detail it or fix some scratches or paint some rust...as I just, just playing....

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

:) i see, well then play on!
certainly if the rogue was my only hobby - it would have been flying by now LOL/jk.
and i certainly understand why some folks are strict with their cars, i only wanted to express that this piece isn't an intricate piece.

Jostudly

Okay thanks for the info. I will remove it and clean it up. I too, like a rust free car even know its a cheap part to replace.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jostudly wrote:Okay thanks for the info. I will remove it and clean it up. I too, like a rust free car even know its a cheap part to replace.
if i was to take on this project, its try soaking the piece in distilled vinegar to try and kill the bacteria(rust) and let it sit for a couple hours. then scrubbing it with steel wool and an oil like wd-40. then wiping it clean and applying Lanocote Anti-Corrosion Grease.

this is a marine grade grease that is used on plumbing, boats, etc. works for years on salt water applications. its just like wool grease. so it sticks better and lasts longer.

or you can clean it with the steel wool and oil, clean it with alcohol and then simply spray it down with a rubber agent.

Return to “Rogue Forum”