Rust under clear coat

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
silverice24
Car: 2008 Rogue S AWD- Silver Ice

I've noticed a lot of "rust colored" spots under my clear coat (on both the bumper and the body). I am not sure what to think of this, because the bumper is plastic so I'm not sure how I would get rust. It is starting to look ridiculous, though. Just these little brownish-orange spots everywhere that are below the surface... anyone else?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I saw one G that had a couple of those. Take it to Nissan and they should fix it under warranty.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

My paint is in perfect condition after 2 years and two harsh winters with salt. Take the car back to the dealer and they'll repair it free under warranty.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Let me put it bluntly, the auto industry's paint material of lately has been crap. I don't know if it's because of a new blend or cost cutting measures. :nono:

Did anyone mention that the Rogue paint chips easily? I have pebble damage go all the way to the metal if that is what I am seeing. Nothing touch up paint can't fix. No problems on the side doors since I try to park in safe areas. But I notice that the paint is not as durable as my 1990 clearcoat pearlglow maxima. :ohno:

Do have irritating scratches on the clearcoat that must have been placed by people rubbing it somehow! :bs:

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Yes, it's a fact manufacturers have been forced to move away from the old durable oil based paints to more environmentally and human-health friendly latex or acryllic. This is great news for our life support sytems (the planet, and our bodies) but the trade-off is a less durable paint. The same applies to home painting, this is the last year in Canada that you will be able to purchase oil based paint...so it's not just an auto industry issue, it applies to all paints other than for very specific industrial purposes.

philipa_240sx

The rust is likely not under the clear coat, but embedded in it. This is especially noticeable on light colored cars. It's environmental contamination... rusty iron flecks being thrown up from the car, vehicles around you, etc.

I had the same problem with my silver '03 Altima. It can be removed with some careful buffing. This is something I recommend a professional do.

toddvk

I had the same issue on my new 2010 Rogue after only 3 months. I brought the vehicle back to the dealer and they said it was rail dust from the train the vehicle was transported on. This made sense to me as the spots were on the front and back bumpers which are rubber along with both sides of the Rogue. The spots were definately rust and they were oxidized iron dust from the railroad. I had read more on this and apparently it is a issue for all manufacturers. Oh, and the dealer (Kingston Nissan in Kingston NY) basically told me to get lost as this was my problem and not theirs or Nissans as Nissan will not warranty a vehicle for rail dust. They suggested I submit a claim to my insurance agent. I ended up going over the whole Rogue with thinners and then waxing the truck which took it off. They also say claying the vehicle is a good way to take care of it as well because the spots are in the surface of the clearcoat. Good luck with this as even though you remove it now, it may comeback again after awhile.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

How can something you remove off the top of the clearcoat come back? And I think the dealer acted like a shmuck to not care. If NIssan can't keep the car protected by keeping it clean during transport, I think it should be their responsibility. Why not?

If they can prep the car by removing bird poop before giving a purchased car, why not rail dust, whatever the hell that is.

philipa_240sx

Rail dust is formed when the train passes over the rails at speed. As the rail wears, small amounts of iron particles flake off and get thrown up into the air by the train wheels. This 'rail dust' settles on the paint and forms into iron oxide... rust.

As for the dealer,

Honestly, if they wanted to keep it's customer they should have offered to have the car buffed and detailed at minimal cost or even for free.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

yea i notice this "rail dust" a lot also, especially on my white rogue....i just scrub really hard and for the most part it comes off, its all over the rogue mostly the lower half so its kind of a PIA to get off :tisk:

Return to “Rogue Forum”