Rust Opinions

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
MCNPathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 LE!

Hi all, I recently acquired a '91 300ZX. I was hoping I could get some opinions on whether or not this car is too far gone. I'm afraid it is. I was working on it today, and noticed some rust near the door sills on the driver's side. I ended up pulling up the carpet and found that parts of the seam that unites the floor with the door sill "rail" had rusted through. There's also a large part of the rail that is rusted through.

This first picture is right about where the gas/hatch release is. The top layer and second layers are rusted right through.

This second picture is up further towards the firewall. The seam is actually rusted through and I can see straight through to my garage floor.

I think what happened was the regular side skirt rust, but someone very poorly fixed that with Bondo and didn't actually remove the rust. It spread through with moisture being trapped. I paid $1600 for this car. It runs and drives, but is it worth saving? Or maybe should I part it out and cut my losses?

chieftolly
Car: 1990 2+2 TT

Anything is repairable given enough money and time. Run it to a couple of body shops and see what they give you for an estimate to cut out the floor pan and weld in a new one.
Maybe give it a good go over and see if there is anything else that you choose not to address or you'd consider a deal breaker. Worse thing you can do is invest into something that you dont want to see through

MCNPathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 LE!

Thanks for the reply! I have time as it's not my DD. Money is a bit of an issue, but I think I'm going to try and get it fixed up. Maybe not immediately, because I'd like to enjoy it a bit before it might be undrivable, but I love these cars.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”