Rust on radiator support?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

I was looking at my car today after washing it, and noticed that there is rust on the metal bar (support?) running directly below the radiatior. It's around the bolts that connect the radiator to it, and it appears to be the result of rocks/salt/whatever coming through the space below the bumper. It's not rusted through or anything but I'm still surprised to see it (though I probably shouldn't be since this car lived in Massachusetts for its first 7 years). Is this something to be concerned about, or is this just something that happens to most cars?

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

There are rust treatment products from Permatex or Loctite (@ $10) to address the corrosion. I believe the center member is attached to that beam so a failure on that side will affect your engine mounts (on center member).

For cars operated where road salts are present during winter, it's always a good idea to have a thorough under-chassis wash each spring to avoid corrosion.

MattB

I have my car detailed twice a year professionally and it now lives in Virginia where road salt is far less prevalent. I imagine the damage was done in the time it lived in Massachusetts though. Is the beam replacable if for some reason the corrosion gets to a point that the products you mentioned can't stop it?

GGENIUS
Car: 1997 nissan maxima gle

the radiator core support always rusts out on nissans. its replaceable but not without sectioning and welding.

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

GGENIUS wrote:the radiator core support always rusts out on nissans. its replaceable but not without sectioning and welding.
This, it will take someone with a cutter and a welder to replace it

loystock

MattB wrote:I have my car detailed twice a year professionally and it now lives in Virginia where road salt is far less prevalent. I imagine the damage was done in the time it lived in Massachusetts though. Is the beam replacable if for some reason the corrosion gets to a point that the products you mentioned can't stop it?
That's a choice you have to make when the time comes. The repair/replacement may be expensive and must be done correctly.

loystock

GGENIUS wrote:the radiator core support always rusts out on nissans. its replaceable but not without sectioning and welding.
I beg to disagree on this. It probably depends on the owner. I've owned Nissan/Infinti cars for a long time (currently 5 Infintis) and never have had such problem. I also pay close attention to the battery compartment area as acid fume is corrosive.

tigersharkdude

my 1999 the core support looks great. It has lived in non-snowy environments its whole life.

GGENIUS
Car: 1997 nissan maxima gle

okay... rusted radiator core support is a common problem in nissans. happy? especially in new jersey where we get all four seasons and live by the beach.

MattB

From what I can see the part that's rusting is #5 on this diagram (not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's what it is). The part itself isn't cheap, but any idea what labor would be to replace this?

There does seem to be a common theme of these things rusting in cars that are exposed to salt/winter. Any chance of this being covered by the corrosion warranty?

tigersharkdude

Ive never heard of anybody saying that nissan covered it

MattB

Might be worth a shot...all they can do is tell me no. I'll see what happens. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the 2001 warranty booklet? Infinitiusa.com has online information as far back as 2003 but not 2001. The 2003 booklet seems to suggest a lifetime corrosion warranty, but I'm not sure a radiator support would be covered.

nafddur
Car: Nissan Maxima, Nissan Murano

The lower radiator support rusting out is a very common problem on older Maximas - especially in climates known for snow/ice conditions. I had the support on my 95 SE replaced (here in SE MA) a couple years ago for $400.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”