Rust on hatch

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Gorillionaire
Car: Nissan Z32 TT 5spd

ok guys so my hatch OEM 91 wing is off and it looks like i got some rust underneath mostly near the lock area. I have a Karuma z zeta wing in the garage waiting for the install. what is the best solution for patching the clips holes in the hatch? and what is the best long term solution for the hatch rust? All replies and input are appreciated I'll post pics shortly

and by best I mean long term solution

Gorillionaire

Attachments
rusty 3.jpeg
rusty 2.jpeg
rusty.jpeg

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Sorry man, that's a bummer to find something like that. If it were me I'd source a good condition hatch and have it painted since the work involved in fixing that cancer will likely end up costing more than finding a good condition used piece.

Gorillionaire

really it cost that much to repair rust in your experience ? what price are we talking about if you could guess? Ive never got or tried to repair so im really not informed to the cost of doing such a thing. what a downer and only new part available is carbon fiber and I dont like the look a carbon on such a large piece. So pissed im so ready to move on to a different area of the car already the trunk is getting tedious and boring.

zxFarside
Car: 94 300zx TT (sold)
03 Suburban 5.3
00 BMW 323

Get a can of clear rustoleum, sand down the rust and clean the area, apply a few coats, slap on the wing, seal it up good, and forget about it.

You could also replace the hatch as mentioned for a permanent solution.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Its not the rust repair by itself that's going to cost a good bit though a decent shop will spend at least 4 hours on prep, welding, and finishing the steel. Then you have smoothing, prep, paint, wet sanding. They will end up prepping and respraying the entire hatch because silver is very hard to blend. If you're ok with having a chunk missing from your hatch then you can definitely clean, por15, and rattle can yourself but if you're looking to perform a complete and proper repair it'll be cheaper to get a new hatch.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”