rust build up on wheels!?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
luv2win
Car: Infiniti G35 Coupe

i've got the performance pkg so it comes w/ brembo brakes... anyone else notice rust starting to build up on the interior metal of the wheel?

obviously i don't know what that piece of metal is called, but it's where the brake is applied.

is this normal, and if so; how do i remove it?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Can you post or link us a picture?

Fred...:)

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

The rotor. That's just a part of life I'm afraid. I'd be willing to bet that the rotors on a Lamborghini rust too. Metalurgy is a constant compromise of material properties affecting strength, stiffness, friction, appearance, oxidation, etc. The rust quickly wears away as you use the brakes....maybe a sign you're not driving that fine piece of machine quite often enough!

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

You can always paint the base of the rotor where it attaches to the wheel. Obviously you wouldn’t want to paint the part of the rotor where the brakes are applied. A good enamel paint will look good and keep the base from rusting.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Such is the problem with the open style wheels which proudly display the rotors and calipers!! They won't look pretty for long.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

well I hear Porsches have Brembos too and they are supposed to have ceramic rotors, swapable? Lord knows i couldn't buy one of those things!

quik
Car: Hot Wheels

Yes, Porshes have brembos. But the chance of the rotors from a Porsche fitting your G35 are slim to non-existant. Not to mention the price!

Yes, you can paint them, but then be prepared to either pay out the wazoo to get someone who knows what they're doing to take them off, paint them, and put them back on (uh oh, there's that pesky dollar sign again!), or take them off yourself, get all of the rust off, paint them, and put them back on. Then repeat this after they rust again 6 months later (this comes from experience!).

If you REALLY don't like the rust on your ROTORS then you can get CADIUM PLATED rotors to replace the perfectly good rotors Infinty put on there for you. They're not too expensive and it saves you the hassle of repainting your rotors every 6 months or so. You'll pay somewhere between $70 - $90 per rotor. And, yes you can get cadium plated rotors that are not slotted or drilled, which I would do unless you plan on auto-X'ing. Good luck!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

quik,

thats one great Avatar.

Fred..:D

laro111

I had the same thing happen with my boxster. Solution in my case was to drive it more and to use the brakes rather than down shifting too much.

b240

ive never really seen the base of the rotor painted , does it look tacky?

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

not when done properly.I just ordered some ceramic rotors from Brembo...Ouch. $335 per rotor... But suposed to last forever...

E Dogg
Car: 1997 M3 sedan
1988 TII RX-7 10th AE
1990 Ford Bronco XLT

my daily driver (98 eclipse rs automatic) never gets rust on the discs, no aftermarket equip involved. You just gotta use the brakes alot and wear the rust off....

PS mabye the fact its so heavy and requires alot more brake force to slow down may help too

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”